Used 2009 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

buy this car
By Brian

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2009 civic sedan lx 5spd manual I purchased new ...336,005 miles later it has never had a single thing break (minus the a.c. somewhat recently). Mileage was always a calculated 40mpg up until it for real old and now I get 36mpg. I just had all major suspension components replaced because I hadn't ever replaced a single thing. Didn't need to...mechanic said all were in acceptable condition. I don't know what would possess ANYBODY to buy a GM, Chrysler or Ford when you can have Honda and Toyota quality. I will buy this exact same car again. Detroit cars are fine as long as you unload them before 80k and 4 years. Absolute junk beyond that. Honda is the way to go. Period.

good ride
By adel6

2009 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned a 2009 Honda from repokar auto auction. Overall, good ride. Great for a larger family or for when the grandparents want to take all the kids to the zoo! Comfortable ride and roomy. I like it))

Reliable, Fun, Fuel Efficient, Cheap, VTEC yo
By shadetreegiant

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I own a 2009 Honda Civic EX Sedan (automatic transmission). The 1.8 Liter VTEC engine is the centerpiece of this car. The VTEC allows this engine to have two "personalities". While cruising on the highway, the engine is composed and fuel efficient. If you step on the gas pedal a little more aggressively, the VTEC solenoid kicks in and uses a second set of cam lobes that makes the engine more powerful. So, it is literally a two-faced engine that can be both fun or economical. The transmission will stay smooth as long as you change the fluid on schedule (every 30k miles). The rest of the car is also well designed, but you need to remember that the Civic is still an economy car.

The engine. Buying this car for any other reason is silly. The R18 engine is a modern masterpiece. I also love the AUX input and the digital speedometer. The rest of the car is basic, but well designed. On a side note, I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall and I can fit in the car. I think if I was an inch taller, I wouldn't make it, but it's amazing how the car can fit me.

Build quality and materials are my only complaints. Let's put it this way: where it matters most, the Honda is solid, but on less important items, such as interior plastics, the car is cheap (that's how it's affordable). So, as the car ages, you may hear a rattle or two, or five. But remember, you bought the car because it was a great value.

1st and Last Honda
By nepahonda

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first new car purchase. I was proud to purchase a new 2009 Honda Civic EX while in college and working full-time. The car was great when I first bought it. However, currently, I have 66,000 miles on it and it is literally falling apart in multiple aspects. I have the paint peeling on the drive side of the car. My muffler just rusted up completely and fell off. The "top of the line" alloy rims are a complete joke and all four have of them have started corroding and leak air. All sorts of interior paneling and weather stripping is literally just falling off of my car. COMPLETELY DISAPPOINTED in this Honda. We have had other Honda's and none have been this bad. DO NOT BUY ONE!

Love my Honda but..
By kiralee1

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car used with about 25,000 miles on it and it's at 62,000 miles now. Really fun to drive, nice handling, and exceptionally reliable. I've never had any mechanical problems, just regular service. It does really good in the snow if you put beefy snow tires on. The biggest problem is the paint. It's peeling everywhere and rusting. Honda said they don't cover the paint because of where I live. I've had a few older Hondas and they have all had paint issues. They are a more expensive economy car and I think they should have higher quality paint. If you get a lower end civic get better wheels put on. One pothole and the wheel will bend. Overall a really great car.

Reliability is excellent. One of the best built engines on the market.

Fix the paint issues Honda and I will keep buying your cars!