2009 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Love my Honda but..
By kiralee1 on 07/14/14 19:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car used with about 25,000 miles on it and it's at 62,000 miles now. Really fun to drive, nice handling, and exceptionally reliable. I've never had any mechanical problems, just regular service. It does really good in the snow if you put beefy snow tires on. The biggest problem is the paint. It's peeling everywhere and rusting. Honda said they don't cover the paint because of where I live. I've had a few older Hondas and they have all had paint issues. They are a more expensive economy car and I think they should have higher quality paint. If you get a lower end civic get better wheels put on. One pothole and the wheel will bend. Overall a really great car.

Its a Honda....Need I say more...?!!
By gulfwalker62 on 12/15/13 13:11 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd Honda Civic, and what a huge improvement over 10-yrs. Its larger, safer, just as reliable, better fuel economy & this time I went for the EX Trim vs the LX last time. The EX sedan is a very nice sedan and offers many great features as standard. The only option I wished I would have gotten was remote start. That is my only regret, so in other words, you can NOT go wrong with a New/CPO/Used Honda Civic EX sedan.

Terrible Car - Never again
By primetime8032 on 06/22/12 05:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car about 4 months ago, ready to trade it in again. This car is absolutely terrible. The AC BARELY works, I went back into the dealership and they "recharged" it, still doesn't work. The sound system, lol what sound system, you can put the volume all the way on 40 (as high as it goes) and its still quiet (and sounds like [non-permissible content removed]). The car lags a lot when you hit the gas, very slow car, can't even keep up with traffic when merging onto the highway. Probably would be better in manual. The interior design is OK, only good thing this car has going for itself. The brakes are terrible, I bought the car as a 'Honda Certified' car, I had to return it TWICE for the brakes and still squeaks.

Extremely Pleased
By jones1124 on 05/18/12 23:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I was coming off of a horrible Chevy experience. I had two vehicles back to back and they were awful. My Equinox was free and clear and I still decided to purchase the '09 Civic. I am very happy with this car!! I am 34 and past the need for looks and frills and wanted something I could put 150-200k on and I think I've found it with this vehicle. At 70k I've only needed front brakes. I do the normal tire rotation,oil and filter changes and it runs very smooth. My friend needed to borrow it and he commented on how well it brakes,the easy steering and overall handling. So far I can say that Honda has me for life,and I could not be happier!!!

best car we have owned
By hayjay0911 on 04/12/12 13:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bough this car with 55K on it my boyfriend drives 100 miles to work and tis car is amazing we got it in september 2011 an have put 10 K on it and nothing wrong it has amazing gas mileage the only thing i dont like is the driver side door molding we had to replace it pulled away from the frame it was a 20 dollar fix i would tell anyone needng a good reliable car to go to hondas im a ford truck girl i love them but for theprice and reliabillity and our 2 kids fit in the back perfect with a car seat with an older child sitting in the middle love this car so much and all the reviews helped us so much thank you all

Honda Quality sucks specially made in North America
By car8888 on 03/13/12 18:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I used to own a couple of Hondas and an Acura. This one honda civic made in North America is really a Lemon. I have only like 36,000 miles and\the following were done to my honda civic. 1) remote control transmitter two times. 2) Evaporator for aircondition gave way. 3) Right axel was replaced. 4) Tirod was also replaced. 5) Front air bag plastic got crack. 6)Front driver's sun visor replaced. I was forced to buy an extended warranty and I am not sure what is next problem? I am tired of going to the dealer. Mileate is also bad, I am only getting only 22 to 25 miles in the city on normal driving and the tires are almost gone. My old Hondas and Acura seldom see the dealer.

It's just OK.
By inmassandri on 10/01/11 14:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my silver LX-S sedan in June '10 with about 8k miles and a clean Carfax for less than $15k, which I thought was a great deal. I was coming out of a very big car (Dodge Magnum) and was considering this Civic model, as well as the Mazda3 hatchback. This is my 9th Honda or Acura product and I was expecting great things. I drive a lot...and 15 months later, this car now has 50k miles. I'm not as happy with it as I thought I'd be...mostly because I should have opted for a slightly larger car (like an Accord, Fusion, or Malibu). The reliability, however, has been perfect.

No complaints after 2 years
By bassmstr9 on 07/08/11 05:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I leased this car 2 years ago because it was cheap, good on gas, has good safety ratings, and Honda is the leader in reliability. I traded in a BMW 3 series because the repairs on the BMW were AWFUL - frequent and expensive. Except for the BMW acceleration and handling, I like the Honda better in every way. It has no rattles, no check engine lights, and no problems of any sort in 2 years. On long trips I get over 40mpg (non-hybrid) on regular gas at 75mph with the air conditioning blasting. It's comfortable as long as you're not 6'5" tall. I'm actually buying it before the lease is up and just keeping the car.

Not Bad for an Econobox
By Truck Dude on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I "traded down" from a Titan and 1 year/ 22k later, I am very pleased. I average 30 MPH in mixed driving, 36 MPG on the interstate at 80MPH with AC. The car handles VERY well. It's smooth with minimal body roll. In dry weather, it can stick to a 25mph cloverleaf at 55mph, no sweat. I don't like the sound of most 4cyls, but the R18 actually sounds pretty good. Do not expect this car (1.8 + auto) to be a rocket. It will move if you mash it past 3.5k, but at a serious fuel cost. There is minimal rolling resistance, so it is easy to glide up to and hold cruising speeds to save gas without any "hypermiling" nonsense. The interior is generally ergonomically correct, and can accommodate 4 adults.

Replacement Civic
By L-Willi on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I'm 16 years old, and my old Civic which was 2001 got hit by a truck when it was parked outside of my house and totalled. We were shopping for a replacement car. It was between the Civic or the 2009 Toyota Corolla. We got a really good deal on my 2009 Civic. It only has 17,000 miles. I love it. It looks nicer and more up to date than the Corolla. I'm glad we were able to get it. I just got it a few days ago so I can't report on the driving experience. So far I love driving it, and I love the auxiliary input. It handles very well. My only complaint, which I don't think should be changed because it makes the car what it is, is the hood is so short.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Civic Sedan in VA is:

$120 per month*