Used 2009 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

good ride
By adel6

2009 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned a 2009 Honda from repokar auto auction. Overall, good ride. Great for a larger family or for when the grandparents want to take all the kids to the zoo! Comfortable ride and roomy. I like it))

Reliable, Fun, Fuel Efficient, Cheap, VTEC yo
By shadetreegiant

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I own a 2009 Honda Civic EX Sedan (automatic transmission). The 1.8 Liter VTEC engine is the centerpiece of this car. The VTEC allows this engine to have two "personalities". While cruising on the highway, the engine is composed and fuel efficient. If you step on the gas pedal a little more aggressively, the VTEC solenoid kicks in and uses a second set of cam lobes that makes the engine more powerful. So, it is literally a two-faced engine that can be both fun or economical. The transmission will stay smooth as long as you change the fluid on schedule (every 30k miles). The rest of the car is also well designed, but you need to remember that the Civic is still an economy car.

Favorite Features

The engine. Buying this car for any other reason is silly. The R18 engine is a modern masterpiece. I also love the AUX input and the digital speedometer. The rest of the car is basic, but well designed. On a side note, I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall and I can fit in the car. I think if I was an inch taller, I wouldn't make it, but it's amazing how the car can fit me.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality and materials are my only complaints. Let's put it this way: where it matters most, the Honda is solid, but on less important items, such as interior plastics, the car is cheap (that's how it's affordable). So, as the car ages, you may hear a rattle or two, or five. But remember, you bought the car because it was a great value.

1st and Last Honda
By nepahonda

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first new car purchase. I was proud to purchase a new 2009 Honda Civic EX while in college and working full-time. The car was great when I first bought it. However, currently, I have 66,000 miles on it and it is literally falling apart in multiple aspects. I have the paint peeling on the drive side of the car. My muffler just rusted up completely and fell off. The "top of the line" alloy rims are a complete joke and all four have of them have started corroding and leak air. All sorts of interior paneling and weather stripping is literally just falling off of my car. COMPLETELY DISAPPOINTED in this Honda. We have had other Honda's and none have been this bad. DO NOT BUY ONE!

Love my Honda but..
By kiralee1

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car used with about 25,000 miles on it and it's at 62,000 miles now. Really fun to drive, nice handling, and exceptionally reliable. I've never had any mechanical problems, just regular service. It does really good in the snow if you put beefy snow tires on. The biggest problem is the paint. It's peeling everywhere and rusting. Honda said they don't cover the paint because of where I live. I've had a few older Hondas and they have all had paint issues. They are a more expensive economy car and I think they should have higher quality paint. If you get a lower end civic get better wheels put on. One pothole and the wheel will bend. Overall a really great car.

Favorite Features

Reliability is excellent. One of the best built engines on the market.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the paint issues Honda and I will keep buying your cars!

Its a Honda....Need I say more...?!!
By gulfwalker62

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd Honda Civic, and what a huge improvement over 10-yrs. Its larger, safer, just as reliable, better fuel economy & this time I went for the EX Trim vs the LX last time. The EX sedan is a very nice sedan and offers many great features as standard. The only option I wished I would have gotten was remote start. That is my only regret, so in other words, you can NOT go wrong with a New/CPO/Used Honda Civic EX sedan.

Favorite Features

My #1 feature must be the exterior design, followed by a well executed interior design. The fuel economy is so great I couldn't justify the added expense or the hybrid, besides the hybrid does not have the sporty alloy wheels, nor the power moonroof. I love my civic EX, and the number of safety features are superior. Side air bags, head airbags, side curtain airbags, rear seat side head curtain airbags. A multi 6-disc CD player as std equipment. I will not wait 10-yrs again, for next I will be ordering a new Accord, as its always been a car of desire since 1984. I wish to share another feature, the ability to change volume, radio stations, CD track all from steering wheel, so eyes on road !

Suggested Improvements

Its a bit challenging to see the nose of the civic when parking, and the remedy I found after a year of ownership was to add a bug deflector which alloys me to view the front of my civic better thus not having to park aways away to prevent scuffing bumper. The manual driver's seat adjustment for up & down could be improved and made to be electric, and heated cloth seats would be a nice added feature to have as standard on EX & EX-L trim levels plus on the Si sport model.