Used 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

09 Honda Civic Hybrid
By adam063321

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my HCH with 72,000 miles certified from a Honda dealer. The car looked and felt great! I lived in Ohio and all roads where I lived were flat and continuously got 45-60mpg on flat roads going 57-59mph. I bought the car to drive like crazy 28,000 miles a year. The IMA battery went out at 95,000 miles. (Luckily I bought the extended warranty when I purchased it). I now have had it for 3 years and have 150,000 miles. I have never had any issues at all besides the IMA battery.

Favorite Features

Dash..looks like a space like light set up! Reliability of Non-Hybrid parts...

Suggested Improvements

But as I continue to drive it..it seems like the seats are getting hard as a rock and just is not comfortable at all..I know it's a compact car but..being new at 25,000 plus..Honda could have done better. In closing I will never buy a Hybrid again for 3 reasons.. 1.Their are way to many possible added costs. 2. The fuel economy on today's cars are almost as much with more power and less maintenance. 3. Insurance is insane...At this time we have a 10' Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with only 28,000 miles NADA value @ 28,000 and my HCH with 150,000miles Nada Valued at 4700 and the HCH costs over 150.00 more a year for the same coverage...utterly ridiculous!! Love Honda but no more Hybrids ever!

Gee, ours does 43 mpg!
By theczech52

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hi, I don't understand all the Civic hybrid bashing. Our '09 battery has never gone bad, and in FACT our second reserve car is an '05 Civic Hybrid at 148,000 on its original hybrid battery and averages 40 mpg! We don't garage either car here in upstate N.Y. Why are all of you having so many problems? Neighbors comment how good these cars look in our carport!

Favorite Features

Quality of parts.

Suggested Improvements

none!

ShouldaBoughtAToyota
By miss_l

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this car Certified used with just under 35k miles. I thought I was getting a deal. Boy was I wrong. When people buy a hybrid they're buying it for anything more than value. Now while I have yet to encounter many of the problems I have been reading on the wed, I am in fear for the future of this car. This car is advertised at 40/45 MPG. I have not even had the car a month and I am getting 33.4 and it keeps falling. I am about to have a dealer look at it but even she eluded that the issue will not get better. Worst purchase I ever made and I will be paying for it for 5 years!!

Favorite Features

Would have been the MPG if Honda was honest

Suggested Improvements

Get the MPG you claim to have!

Poor MPG
By aminu1

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At 31,000 miles, my average mpg went down to 24. and i've gotten used to the check IMA and check engine lights on. Acceleration is poor when the IMA battery is discharged - have to downshift to gain some power. Besides, it's a good car.

Not what I was hoping for out of Honda
By fuzz_nut98

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has been ok but I am glad we leased it. First it is white and when I got it the door color was different then the rest of the body. Honda paid for the whole car to be repainted but wouldn't let me trade it for one without paint issues even though it only had 15 miles on it. The car is a dog (hybrid) but it does handles pretty well. The interior has good fit and finish and is laid out well. I like some of the extras the Hybrid has but I really wish I bought a standard civic. At 30,000 miles the hybrid battery failed ($3000 Battery), but it has 80.000 mile of warranty. not impressive. Dealer said they replace 2-3 a month. Gas mileage says 40-45 mpg, I get 35-36 with normal driving.

Favorite Features

USB interface for Ipod. Decent suspension, good fit and finish, good lease price.

Suggested Improvements

Paint issue was major let down. Guy from Honda said they have seen it a few times on the white hybrids which seemed like they would take care of it before selling them. Hybrid battery life is a problem. The auto stop feature quit after battery was replaced. Fuel mileage takes extremely modest driving to obtain. Still like civics but couldn't suggest the hybrid. Save your money and buy a regular civic, my cousins gets similar mileage, much faster, better looking wheels, ect.....