Used 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Get another Hybrid, not a Civic
By JORGE GIMENEZ

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned or leased Honda vehicles for the past 13 years. They have all been wonderful as far as value, comfort and reliability. The Honda Civic Hybrid is the exception primarily due to the hybrid component. The speedometer, USB ports, steering wheel controls, and overall comfort inside make for a great ride, but taking a car to the dealer negates the advantages. I had never taken any of my Honda vehicles to the dealer for any sort of repairs, but the hybrid seems to break every 12 to 18 months. Since the beginning, the IMA light has been turning on like a Christmas tree. I would take it to the dealer, waste at least half a day in the process, and they would normally tell me that it was just an update that is needed. However, a few months later it would start over again. If you want a civic, get a regular one, not a hybrid. If you want a hybrid, get a different brand.

09 Honda Civic Hybrid
By adam063321

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my HCH with 72,000 miles certified from a Honda dealer. The car looked and felt great! I lived in Ohio and all roads where I lived were flat and continuously got 45-60mpg on flat roads going 57-59mph. I bought the car to drive like crazy 28,000 miles a year. The IMA battery went out at 95,000 miles. (Luckily I bought the extended warranty when I purchased it). I now have had it for 3 years and have 150,000 miles. I have never had any issues at all besides the IMA battery.

Dash..looks like a space like light set up! Reliability of Non-Hybrid parts...

But as I continue to drive it..it seems like the seats are getting hard as a rock and just is not comfortable at all..I know it's a compact car but..being new at 25,000 plus..Honda could have done better. In closing I will never buy a Hybrid again for 3 reasons.. 1.Their are way to many possible added costs. 2. The fuel economy on today's cars are almost as much with more power and less maintenance. 3. Insurance is insane...At this time we have a 10' Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with only 28,000 miles NADA value @ 28,000 and my HCH with 150,000miles Nada Valued at 4700 and the HCH costs over 150.00 more a year for the same coverage...utterly ridiculous!! Love Honda but no more Hybrids ever!

Gee, ours does 43 mpg!
By theczech52

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hi, I don't understand all the Civic hybrid bashing. Our '09 battery has never gone bad, and in FACT our second reserve car is an '05 Civic Hybrid at 148,000 on its original hybrid battery and averages 40 mpg! We don't garage either car here in upstate N.Y. Why are all of you having so many problems? Neighbors comment how good these cars look in our carport!

Quality of parts.

none!

Honda Headaches - when will I learn ?
By topsail33

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr, Nav (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

2009 Civic Hybrid. IMA light comes on (aka the Light Of Death). MPG instantly drops 10 mpg. Dealer says it's throwing codes he's never seen before. Has to charge $140 to do further diagnostics. Calls and says the battery module fan is toast.....$700+ to fix. So, for $900, I can get my car back to where it's supposed to be. $900 completely negated ANY fuel savings for owning a hybrid. Out the window. Never again, will I buy a Honda. They don't back up their brand for beans. This is not a fluke, either. I own an '08 Civic Hybrid also. It's battery crapped out, luckily with 2k miles left on the warranty. Otherwise, I would have been out over $3k for that.

My favorite feature, will be the day I have cash in my hand from SELLING it. My first Honda, a new 2002 CR-v, was junk, also. Poor build quality. Noisy. Cheap interior and horribly uncomfortable seats. It had a suspension rattle that no Honda dealer could fix. Ya, good riddance Honda.

Suggested features ? How about a half-decent warranty, ESPECIALLY for the hybrid components - ALL of them !!! A stupid cooling fan for the battery is NOT covered. Yet, it costs $700 to replace. That is b.s. !!!

2009 Civic Hybrid Gas Mileage Hoax
By steve476

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The only reason i purchased the car was for the MPG. Advertised at 40-45 by Honda Not true! I have had the car for 3 months now and the best i can avg is 33-34 MPG. I drove the car on a 800 mile round trip and avg 32.9 MPG This is nothing less than robbery of the consumer. I Hope a class action lawsuit follows as did with hyundai and Kia.