Used 2009 Honda Civic EX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2009 Civic EX 5 Spd Manual
By mcuvelaine

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Absolutely love it! My last Honda went nearly 200,000 miles before it needed any serious work. I grew up with Hondas, I learned to drive on a Honda, I am 100% committed to Honda. This is a fuel efficient car. It looks sporty, but it isn't a fast little racer. With that being said, I get an average of 34-38 mpg. Not complaining. It handles great, and the comfy seats are designed to keep you planted while taking corners at lightning speed ;) My one complaint is the gear box. I'm not sure if the previous owner was just too rough with it or what, but shifting (either up or down) into 2nd can be a sloppy, gear grinding mess if you don't put enough force into it.

Favorite Features

- The dash is definitely very futuristic and cool looking - Seats are very comfortable - Location of shifter is different, but comfortable. Especially with the gliding center console which can be moved forward to provide a resting place for your arm - Cup holders can hold ANYTHING - Windshield wipers wipe from the center- out (as opposed to back and forth) - Spacious trunk - Stock sound system is actually pretty decent - Several different storage holes/cubbies for all your junk - USB connector inside center console - Adjustable height on drivers seat - Cheap to fill the tank and gets 34-38 MPG combined - Running lights activate when you let off the E brake

Suggested Improvements

- Stock unlock/lock fob is fussy. You usually have to push the buttons several times before you can get it to lock/unlock. Same with trunk release - Needs anti-father function. Can't visit my dad without him insisting he drives my car around town ;)

Civic EX
By amber

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First Honda. Had a Matrix before this. Love the look of this car and the way it drives. Antilock brakes occasionally feel "crunchy." Auto transmission doesn't always shift smoothly. Axle nut loose after 6000 miles. Do not like the auto up windows or the seat belt alarm that takes forever to go off. (I know, I know, it's illegal to not wear a seatbelt!) 35 mpg hwy is great. Not so good city driving. About 24 mpg. Combo driving is still good. Ride is hard but will try the lower tire pressure.

Favorite Features

Looks and drives great. Good trunk size. Controls on steering wheel are good.

Suggested Improvements

Auto up windows are a pain. Seatbelt alarm should remind and go off. Would like a thicker steering wheel.

Great "Sporty" car
By Justin Slocum

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Reliable and sporty (I have the coupe). Very well designed and quite a looker. It's fun to drive granted it's no civic Si but it is quick and agile. I decided to go with the EX Coupe because the Si's have shifter and clutch problems. The sound system is 350 Watts and has a subwoofer. This comes in the Coupe EX and the Si's only. Very happy with the bass response from it. Nice Standard Alloy Rims. Shifts are crisp and smooth. I would definitely purchase this car again. Very complacent ride that does a great job around the corners and is comfortable on rough roads. My only minor complaint is something that plagues Hondas and that is the road noise. It's not awful but could be better.

Favorite Features

Smooth Shifter... Sexy as hell... (BLACK)... Nice pickup and engine sounds great. Driving Characteristics... Last but not least extremely reliable as all Hondas seem to be. I love the Coupe.

Suggested Improvements

Better Insulation from Road noise. Bluetooth should be standard. Perhaps the seats could be made out of something a little more substantial material wise. Overall I can only nitpick because it's such a great car for the money.

Four Months
By Robert

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Four months and a bit over 7k miles. MPG is > 38, over the period. Had just recently driven in heavy rain with the OE Bridgestones, and the car rides fine. Most of the driving is open road & highway (90%). Cruise Control maintains a constant speed going uphills. Very happy I returned to a Civic.

Favorite Features

Sound system is fine.

Suggested Improvements

Front seat pad adjustment is the only thing missing, which is especially helpful on longer trips.

EX Coupe-5 speed
By steve190

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Let me start with I checked out just about everything out there in this price range and took my time making a decision as I did not need a new car but rather wanted one. After looking for over a year I decided on the Honda Civic EX 5 speed and so far am very happy with it. The car rides nice and handles very well for what it is (I had Miata's, and MG's before this) the deciding factor was the Honda's resale value compared to everything else. If you are looking for a well built, fun to drive and reasonable cost to operate car look at the Honda Civic! The EX model has all the toys you need, sunroof, 4 wheel disc brakes, cruise, and a decent stereo system. I paid 17,451 including destination. Love IT.

Favorite Features

Nice pickup in 2nd and 3rd gear, feels like you are going faster then you are! Stereo is nice also in the coupe model with 350 watts!

Suggested Improvements

None at this time, so far no complaints!