2009 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
2009 Civic EX 5 Spd Manual
By mcuvelaine on 08/28/13 14:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Absolutely love it! My last Honda went nearly 200,000 miles before it needed any serious work. I grew up with Hondas, I learned to drive on a Honda, I am 100% committed to Honda. This is a fuel efficient car. It looks sporty, but it isn't a fast little racer. With that being said, I get an average of 34-38 mpg. Not complaining. It handles great, and the comfy seats are designed to keep you planted while taking corners at lightning speed ;) My one complaint is the gear box. I'm not sure if the previous owner was just too rough with it or what, but shifting (either up or down) into 2nd can be a sloppy, gear grinding mess if you don't put enough force into it.

Economic and reliable, but terribly built
By connorhol on 03/17/13 19:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car handles well enough and has decent power. A 6th gear would have been welcome, but there 5spd auto is sufficient. It's a good looking car with good featured and it gets good gas mileage. The area where the civic FAILS is I'm build quality. My rear LED brake light had to be replaced due to a bad solder point - a known defect. The interior rattles more than it should. The clearcoat on the hood was cracking and failing, but thankfully was fixed when I got a new hood due to hail damage. The driver seat has started squeaking loudly when I go over a bump, sometimes while entering and exiting the vehicle as well. This is a known issue with seat frame and I'm working with the dealer.

Great car... Minor complaints
By remlap48 on 06/04/12 09:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I only have 54k on my LX, so long term reliability is something I'm counting on down the road at this point. As far as +'s go... peppy performance for an auto- 4cyl. Very solid tight build quality. Corners well (although I really don't drive like that). Est. mpg. 25 city (I'm actually getting 28 :o). Stock speakers thru quality stereo source, VERY impressive. My only complaints would have to be, a rather limited turn radius. Only 1 compatible tire size, and not being able to see any of the outside of the car from the inside, except part of sides thru mirrors. Makes parallel parking a real adventure at times. Over all rating ++++-.

I got a lemon
By chuckles0505 on 03/18/12 19:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was extremely disappointed with this Civic. It regularly left me abandoned, unable to start. I don't know how many times I had to be towed, and the dealership here in Oregon blew me off. This kept happening and happening, that the battery after just a few weeks would suddenly stop holding a charge. After over a year of this, the dealership finally put in a new battery. It still had problems. Something else was wrong with the electrical system somewhere, and the dealership wasn't going to help me out. Then a rock made its way into the brake area somehow, and caused damage. After I wanted out from such an unreliable vehicle, I sold it as a loss. The lemon is someone else's problem.

update ........30.000 mi
By erik25 on 05/06/11 12:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Have now driven 30.000 miles with it and it still drives as new.Also got a average of 41 mpg and sometimes 45 mpg,not bad for a gas car!! Just get 43 psi in your tires and i added some body panels under the car,helps to. The only thing i don't like about this car is the automatic transmission,shifts to much when i don't want it to,see they solved it on the new model,with a stronger torq converter.It's something i can live with,not a reason to sell it with these gas prices!

An outstanding bargain!!
By 70schic on 01/30/11 11:30 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned my Civic EX for almost 2 years now and I'm still thrilled to drive it every day. Even though it's only a 4cyl it's quite the zippy little car. The interior is roomy, features are located within easy reach and the USB port is a nice touch. It's a Civic, so of course it's great on gas. It's quality built and very reliable. If your looking for a car that is practical, safe and has exceptional resale value-this is it!!

Not Bad
By sjet on 12/31/10 08:54 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I leased a Honda Civic for the price and have not been too disappointed.

Why?
By BobbyJ on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Completely gutless. Beyond boring to drive. Looks terrible. This car goes for fuel economy and lets everything else suffer. Never again will I buy a Honda product.

Again an update -3
By Erik on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

After driving since February having 16,000 miles on it, it still drives as I bought it. And my average is still 41 mpg, this is the max when driving carefully but still maxium speeds on back roads and highway. Saw the reviews of mazda2 drivers and Ford fiesta, they don't get that high mileage I would think of purchase such a car. As I told before, drive it till it falls apart, hope so at 300,000 miles. No hybrid can drive cheaper as this car!

Good work car.
By ETB on 08/20/10 09:39 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Good work car, getting 26 mpg in city. Dislike the 2 level dash, but hey, it's a work car. Honda paint finish is sub par- but I knew that at purchase from past experience. Meets it's purpose, Civics have historically been a reliable work car for me.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Civic Coupe in VA is:

$122 per month*