Used 2009 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Bought a car to flip. Learned to Love it!
By Ryan

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car and owned it for a year only because I needed a truck. What a blast! The car came with two problems, which allowed for me to afford it at a discounted price. 1. Radio was crazy. changed stations by itself occasionally. Cost: $40 2. Clear coat was fading and flaking off of black paint. Cost: $0 because Honda extended their paint warranty to 7 years Unlimited miles for all affected models with this defect. WOW! I was so impressed with Honda, they repainted almost my entire car with almost no questions asked. It was so easy, and once I found the right dealer they put me in touch with customer service which went flawlessly. I can't stress enough how easy and streamlined their warranty process was. Not only is Honda great, the car was great. This was my first economy car and once gas was no object I piled the miles on, without care for my mpg's. Every drive I made exciting, because I could rely on my Honda even under hard use, and it was fun to use hard. While its not overly powerful, the motor loves to rev. The Transmission shifts well. The car is surprisingly easy to drift. E brake used on a regular basis! Steering was instant and crisp and there was 0 body roll, unless you loaded it to the brim. I definitely felt a connection to this car. Steering feel was excellent, even over 100 mph. I can't explain how much the engine just likes to go. Its not powerful, not fast, but its so reactive and fun to drive in the curves, and can cruise happily at 90 mph all day. My only gripe was the transmission. Don't get me wrong, it was a fine unit. If you ever wanted to drive and have fun you needed to manually shift it though. It was not so much a performance thing as some economy setting. I had to practically floor it to get a responsive down shift. Once the Honda decides its time, its lightning quick. But until then, your stuck out of the power band. Other then all that, the only creature comforts my car had was a base model radio (acceptable), AC (worked great), and the heater. The little aluminum block doesn't warm up unless you drive and work it in the winter, but once its up to temp....That heater is a FURNACE. I swear, it could burn you if you hold your hands too close for too long. Awesome heater. Car holds a surprising amount of cargo too. I filled so full it was practically a truck one time. Fold down seats. In summary, I really expected to hate this car, but after owning it for one year I would never have sold it had I not needed offroad capability and towing. (trust me I tried) I truly enjoyed driving it, which is really saying something for a boring economizer like a Honda Civic. I can see now why ricers like to ruin them. I brought the maintenance up to date, and the car was better off when I sold it after over 20k miles. Extremely low cost of ownership. I tried to drive the beans out of it but it just asked for more. Surprisingly tough for its size. I'd also like to add that I have drove later model Honda's that were not as peppy as my 2009 1.8.

Nice but with problems
By mj20

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have had my Civic for 5 years. It has not given me any mechanical issues so far. The A/C is terrible, especially in the summer time. It takes the A/C about 5-10 minutes to cool down during hot days. I literally have to drive my car non-stop without hitting traffic signals in order to get the A/C to start cooling down. I will sit in my car a sweat and usually by the time I am getting to my destination the A/C will get cold. The Navigation is terrible. It is constantly giving me longer routes than Google maps. If i try to look something up, say Walmart, it will give me a Walmart in Alaska and nowhere near me. The bluetooth is also terrible. I never use it because no one can hear me.

Gas Mileage

Navigation, Blue Tooth, Air Condition

2009 Civic EX 5 Spd Manual
By mcuvelaine

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Absolutely love it! My last Honda went nearly 200,000 miles before it needed any serious work. I grew up with Hondas, I learned to drive on a Honda, I am 100% committed to Honda. This is a fuel efficient car. It looks sporty, but it isn't a fast little racer. With that being said, I get an average of 34-38 mpg. Not complaining. It handles great, and the comfy seats are designed to keep you planted while taking corners at lightning speed ;) My one complaint is the gear box. I'm not sure if the previous owner was just too rough with it or what, but shifting (either up or down) into 2nd can be a sloppy, gear grinding mess if you don't put enough force into it.

- The dash is definitely very futuristic and cool looking - Seats are very comfortable - Location of shifter is different, but comfortable. Especially with the gliding center console which can be moved forward to provide a resting place for your arm - Cup holders can hold ANYTHING - Windshield wipers wipe from the center- out (as opposed to back and forth) - Spacious trunk - Stock sound system is actually pretty decent - Several different storage holes/cubbies for all your junk - USB connector inside center console - Adjustable height on drivers seat - Cheap to fill the tank and gets 34-38 MPG combined - Running lights activate when you let off the E brake

- Stock unlock/lock fob is fussy. You usually have to push the buttons several times before you can get it to lock/unlock. Same with trunk release - Needs anti-father function. Can't visit my dad without him insisting he drives my car around town ;)

Economic and reliable, but terribly built
By connorhol

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car handles well enough and has decent power. A 6th gear would have been welcome, but there 5spd auto is sufficient. It's a good looking car with good featured and it gets good gas mileage. The area where the civic FAILS is I'm build quality. My rear LED brake light had to be replaced due to a bad solder point - a known defect. The interior rattles more than it should. The clearcoat on the hood was cracking and failing, but thankfully was fixed when I got a new hood due to hail damage. The driver seat has started squeaking loudly when I go over a bump, sometimes while entering and exiting the vehicle as well. This is a known issue with seat frame and I'm working with the dealer.

Car is good looking and gets good gas mileage. Stereo is pretty good and I love the iPod connectivity. Gas mileage is very good as long as you keep your foot out of it.

Less road noise, esp. at highway speeds, get with the times and get SIX speeds in your gearbox, and above all, improve the APPALLING build quality. This is my first and last Honda. I expected more from this brand, especially one known for refined vehicles. Save yourself the annoyance and buy something else. I'll be buying a Volkswagen or Hyundai next time around.

Great car... Minor complaints
By remlap48

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I only have 54k on my LX, so long term reliability is something I'm counting on down the road at this point. As far as +'s go... peppy performance for an auto- 4cyl. Very solid tight build quality. Corners well (although I really don't drive like that). Est. mpg. 25 city (I'm actually getting 28 :o). Stock speakers thru quality stereo source, VERY impressive. My only complaints would have to be, a rather limited turn radius. Only 1 compatible tire size, and not being able to see any of the outside of the car from the inside, except part of sides thru mirrors. Makes parallel parking a real adventure at times. Over all rating ++++-.

• SUV