Used 2009 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Nice but with problems
By mj20

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have had my Civic for 5 years. It has not given me any mechanical issues so far. The A/C is terrible, especially in the summer time. It takes the A/C about 5-10 minutes to cool down during hot days. I literally have to drive my car non-stop without hitting traffic signals in order to get the A/C to start cooling down. I will sit in my car a sweat and usually by the time I am getting to my destination the A/C will get cold. The Navigation is terrible. It is constantly giving me longer routes than Google maps. If i try to look something up, say Walmart, it will give me a Walmart in Alaska and nowhere near me. The bluetooth is also terrible. I never use it because no one can hear me.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Navigation, Blue Tooth, Air Condition

2009 Civic EX 5 Spd Manual
By mcuvelaine

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Absolutely love it! My last Honda went nearly 200,000 miles before it needed any serious work. I grew up with Hondas, I learned to drive on a Honda, I am 100% committed to Honda. This is a fuel efficient car. It looks sporty, but it isn't a fast little racer. With that being said, I get an average of 34-38 mpg. Not complaining. It handles great, and the comfy seats are designed to keep you planted while taking corners at lightning speed ;) My one complaint is the gear box. I'm not sure if the previous owner was just too rough with it or what, but shifting (either up or down) into 2nd can be a sloppy, gear grinding mess if you don't put enough force into it.

Favorite Features

- The dash is definitely very futuristic and cool looking - Seats are very comfortable - Location of shifter is different, but comfortable. Especially with the gliding center console which can be moved forward to provide a resting place for your arm - Cup holders can hold ANYTHING - Windshield wipers wipe from the center- out (as opposed to back and forth) - Spacious trunk - Stock sound system is actually pretty decent - Several different storage holes/cubbies for all your junk - USB connector inside center console - Adjustable height on drivers seat - Cheap to fill the tank and gets 34-38 MPG combined - Running lights activate when you let off the E brake

Suggested Improvements

- Stock unlock/lock fob is fussy. You usually have to push the buttons several times before you can get it to lock/unlock. Same with trunk release - Needs anti-father function. Can't visit my dad without him insisting he drives my car around town ;)

Economic and reliable, but terribly built
By connorhol

2009 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car handles well enough and has decent power. A 6th gear would have been welcome, but there 5spd auto is sufficient. It's a good looking car with good featured and it gets good gas mileage. The area where the civic FAILS is I'm build quality. My rear LED brake light had to be replaced due to a bad solder point - a known defect. The interior rattles more than it should. The clearcoat on the hood was cracking and failing, but thankfully was fixed when I got a new hood due to hail damage. The driver seat has started squeaking loudly when I go over a bump, sometimes while entering and exiting the vehicle as well. This is a known issue with seat frame and I'm working with the dealer.

Favorite Features

Car is good looking and gets good gas mileage. Stereo is pretty good and I love the iPod connectivity. Gas mileage is very good as long as you keep your foot out of it.

Suggested Improvements

Less road noise, esp. at highway speeds, get with the times and get SIX speeds in your gearbox, and above all, improve the APPALLING build quality. This is my first and last Honda. I expected more from this brand, especially one known for refined vehicles. Save yourself the annoyance and buy something else. I'll be buying a Volkswagen or Hyundai next time around.

Great car... Minor complaints
By remlap48

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I only have 54k on my LX, so long term reliability is something I'm counting on down the road at this point. As far as +'s go... peppy performance for an auto- 4cyl. Very solid tight build quality. Corners well (although I really don't drive like that). Est. mpg. 25 city (I'm actually getting 28 :o). Stock speakers thru quality stereo source, VERY impressive. My only complaints would have to be, a rather limited turn radius. Only 1 compatible tire size, and not being able to see any of the outside of the car from the inside, except part of sides thru mirrors. Makes parallel parking a real adventure at times. Over all rating ++++-.

I got a lemon
By chuckles0505

2009 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was extremely disappointed with this Civic. It regularly left me abandoned, unable to start. I don't know how many times I had to be towed, and the dealership here in Oregon blew me off. This kept happening and happening, that the battery after just a few weeks would suddenly stop holding a charge. After over a year of this, the dealership finally put in a new battery. It still had problems. Something else was wrong with the electrical system somewhere, and the dealership wasn't going to help me out. Then a rock made its way into the brake area somehow, and caused damage. After I wanted out from such an unreliable vehicle, I sold it as a loss. The lemon is someone else's problem.

Favorite Features

exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

It was an "extremely medium" car in all other respects. My suggested improvement is Honda should be more careful in the manufacturing of the vehicle so owners don't wind up with an expensive lemon like mine was.