Used 2009 Honda Civic GX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Most Helpful|
NGV
By NGV Guy

2009 Honda Civic GX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the Civic GX because I love the idea of using natural gas instead of petroleum. The engine is smooth, although somewhat underpowered. The car handles surprisingly well, despite having a big (and obviously heavy) tank behind the back seat. I average around 37 mpg, in mostly freeway driving. Mileage drops considerably on short city trips. Dashboard layout and visibility are excellent. The driver's seat unfortunately is undersized, poorly designed and uncomfortable (the seat in the Corolla is substantially better). E-brake in the knee underscores that the Civic is designed for small drivers.

Favorite Features

Runs on natural gas.

Suggested Improvements

1)The leather driver's seat out of the Accord would be a HUGE improvement. (If leather isn't an option, use the design of the fabric seat from the 09 Altima, which is outstanding.) 2)Add a sliding sun visor. 3)Add remote trunk release.

09 Civic GX
By Dave Fox

2009 Honda Civic GX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have been driving the car for 3 days now. I commute 150 miles each day. The first day it ate fuel, the 2nd day not so bad, and by day 3 it is improving more. The best part: I do not get robbed at the pump! I have the FuelMaker FMQ2-36 instead of the Phill unit. I waited 3 months to get that and it is nice to just back into the driveway and plug the car in for the night. FuelMaker needs to step up availability. My fuel bill for gasoline would be over $13,000 per year and this cuts it down to a more tolerable $3500 per year. Much easier on the pocket book. I am going to install another 2 gallon tank in the trunk to up the capacity to 10 total this spring.

Favorite Features

None in particular, we already own an 07 EX with nav.

Suggested Improvements

Move that e-brake lever away from the console edge (knee knocker, our 07 is the same way.), and just include the auto dimming mirror as standard equipment along with mud flaps.

An Amazing Car!
By Civic Pride

2009 Honda Civic GX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I read a lot about this car prior to purchase and concluded it was a great idea. It was hard to find one--called around a lot and the few places that had them in the country wanted top dollar. Eventually found one out of state and purchased end of month--got a reasonable deal. It is an awesome commuter car--very cheap to run, extremely reliable, clean burning, carpool lane exemption, and dare I say, even fun to drive. No, certainly not a sports car, but it corners well, stops well, and accelerates decently. CNG is well below the price of regular unleaded-- about 40-50% for me, and I'm not Utah--I'm surprised everyone there doesn't have one! My kids, boss and others say "cool!"

Favorite Features

Very low operating cost, "greenest car in U.S.", no fuel drips, bi-level instrument panel with great ergonomics, great AC. Exterior design very attractive, not one single problem at 7+ months-- only car I've ever owned that can claim that.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger trunk would be nice for long distances, but that's not what I use this for, so not a big deal.