2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
ShouldaBoughtAToyota
By miss_l on 10/10/12 10:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this car Certified used with just under 35k miles. I thought I was getting a deal. Boy was I wrong. When people buy a hybrid they're buying it for anything more than value. Now while I have yet to encounter many of the problems I have been reading on the wed, I am in fear for the future of this car. This car is advertised at 40/45 MPG. I have not even had the car a month and I am getting 33.4 and it keeps falling. I am about to have a dealer look at it but even she eluded that the issue will not get better. Worst purchase I ever made and I will be paying for it for 5 years!!

Poor MPG
By aminu1 on 09/21/12 04:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At 31,000 miles, my average mpg went down to 24. and i've gotten used to the check IMA and check engine lights on. Acceleration is poor when the IMA battery is discharged - have to downshift to gain some power. Besides, it's a good car.

Not what I was hoping for out of Honda
By fuzz_nut98 on 10/14/11 18:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has been ok but I am glad we leased it. First it is white and when I got it the door color was different then the rest of the body. Honda paid for the whole car to be repainted but wouldn't let me trade it for one without paint issues even though it only had 15 miles on it. The car is a dog (hybrid) but it does handles pretty well. The interior has good fit and finish and is laid out well. I like some of the extras the Hybrid has but I really wish I bought a standard civic. At 30,000 miles the hybrid battery failed ($3000 Battery), but it has 80.000 mile of warranty. not impressive. Dealer said they replace 2-3 a month. Gas mileage says 40-45 mpg, I get 35-36 with normal driving.

Battery fails, Honda won't replace
By socaldude2 on 05/24/11 23:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Please do your research before considering this car. I was hoping to keep this car for >5 years and get excellent milage and help save the planet. What initially was a great hybrid has turned quickly into a disaster. After 1 year, the battery stopped holding a charge. after 15 months, the check engine light came on. Honda performed an irreversible software upgrade that bascially minimizes the car's use of the hybrid battery (basically making it a non-hybrid car). My MPG has dropped 10 MPG!! The hybrid battery is now basically non-functional and Honda will not fix it despite being under warranty. There are many many simiar complaints (look online). I will never buy Honda again.

DO NOT BUY
By txsco on 01/06/11 18:31 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I usually keep cars 6-10 years; got rid of this after one year, 7500 miles. Why? In a little over 12 months, car was in the shop four times-twice for Check IMA light, once for Check Engine light, once because entire driver's side window assembly failed-the whole thing, window, frame, motor for electric window. Vehicle was dangerously slow, and gas mileage was much worse than advertised(maybe because of the constant computer updates-see Edmunds forum for more info). I've owned some really bad cars over the years-anyone remember the Chevy Monza?-but this was by far the worst.

MPG Disappointment
By c.hack on 09/02/10 08:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving the Civic hybrid for 27,000 miles, I had gotten used to sacrificing performance for fuel economy. Unfortunately, after the last tune-up Honda applied some sort of firmware change that has killed both my MPG and my performance. MPG on 50 mph rural roads (optimal conditions) has dropped from 47 to 41 and acceleration is almost non-existent. This car's performance is so bad it is almost unsafe to drive.

Hybrid Good and Bad
By JAD on 06/01/10 14:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The ONLY reason to even consider the Civic Hybrid is for the great gas mileage. You must drive it differently, pay attention and respond to what the instant mpg gauge and battery gauges tell you. Learning to anticipate lights, allow some slowing on hills, feathering the gas, avoiding the use of brakes and staying at the speed limit yield great results. No lead foot gas use, won't go fast anyhow. Winter driving conditions and sloppy driving habits destroy mpg. Large interior, but VERY noisy and not comfortable after a couple hours. Cheaped out on auto on head lights, dash layout, seat adjusters and tires. Did I say it was NOISY? First, and LAST, Honda.

Prius,BMW,Benz - jealous of Civic Hybrid
By Ronald on 02/22/10 20:59 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's a relaxing ride. We drive with confidence knowing we have great performance, fuel economy, comfort & style.

Best car I have ever owned
By azaggie on 01/27/10 20:47 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my 09 Civic hybrid for 8 months and absolutely love it. I get significantly better fuel economy than the epa estimates, averaging around 53 mpg, though I drive conservatively and make a game out of trying to get the best fuel economy I can. The car's sweet spot for fuel economy is 35-50 mph (around 60-65 mpg), and driving around 70 - 75 you'll see your fuel economy drop to the low 40's (one drawback). The hybrid assist-regen system works well on small to moderate hills but doesn't sustain on large hills, leaving you with a small engine that has to work hard to get up long inclines. Another potential drawback is the back seat doesn't fold down, but it only an occasional problem.

Big Disappointment
By ed hill on 12/27/09 05:16 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well if your in the market for hybrid, I don't think Honda has it's act together. The performance is not any better than a civic, maybe a couple MPG's. It's under powered, I don't know what the eclectic motor does, seems nothing to me. They only way you save any money on gas in town driving is when you stop the gas engine stops, thats about it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Civic in NJ is:

$211 per month*