Used 2009 Honda Civic Si Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

It's all about the VTEC
By engineaddict

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The Civic Si is a fun car to drive. Every time I get in the driver's seat, I smile to myself, even though I'm aware that fun doesn't mean winning over all of the other sporty cars on the road to the next signal light ('cause it is probably not going to happen). For those of you considering the Si, this is my recommendation: test drive at least 4 Civic Si's (so you know when one of these is dead). And, conduct your test drive in two phases: 1) gentle, "everyday" driving - this also allows the engine to warm up, too. 2) then, rev it out! The red line is 8000. Make it go there. If possible, turn off A/C & roll the windows down for this phase.

Favorite Features

The clutch. Overall an ease to work with. The gear shift. The gates are easily felt. The action is crisp. (Only comes in 6-speed manual) The engine. Every time I rev past 6000, I'm graced with the tones of a beautiful exhaust note. (If you are considering a Si, please research what VTEC is before test driving.) The dashboard. Often referred to as controversial, I've never found myself distracted by its layout. Like many things Honda, it doesn't look right at first, but it actually makes a lot of sense when you use it ('02-'06 CR-V parking brake). The Sound System, sub-woofer included. Fuel Economy. It gets good economy for being a sporty car (considering Premium requirement).

Suggested Improvements

Ok, now that I've praised the '09 Civic Si, I'm going to go on a brief rampage against Honda's recent choices. Honda, you had a great thing going with the K20Z3. Why did you chuck it in favor of the auditory disappointment of the K24Z7? I know that a bunch of whiners wanted more torque, but (honestly) they should have known that when they bought their Si. It's not THAT torque-less. The only truly unique (market-separating) feature of the '06-'11 Si is it's engine. Specifically, the metallic bark of the VTEC crossover. And the 8000rpm red line. The suspension is good, but not unique. If I wanted less revs and longer stroke (torque), I would have bought a K24A2 ('06 TSX or something).

Civic si sedan
By mdschuet

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I considered gti and civic si. Picked si thinking it would be more reliable. I was wrong. Many things have gone wrong and Honda will not fix unless you have deep pockets. Door handles stop working, trunk will stop working, and now 2nd gear is making noises and Honda wants 700 dollars just to open it up and diagnose. I bought this car to avoid this problem and here I am with the warrantee over, and transmission issues with 2.5 years left of payments. I'm stuck with it now, bought it for performance and excitement but now it's a point a to b car that I have to skip 2nd gear. It was fun and good until this. Get a warrantee or buy another car, I have 95,000 miles on it, and I drive good.

Favorite Features

Engine, vtec noise, interior design, seats, paint color, exhaust note, sound system, price, gauge cluster, mileage, pedals, rear seat room, exterior design, steering wheel, functionality, stability control system, handling, accelerAtion.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission quality, interior quality, overall quality of parts such as trunk, door handle mechanisms, noise harshness and vibration, wind and road noise on highway, rattles from glove box and sun visor, paint tends to chip easily, longer/more extensive warrantee, ac does not cool cabin easily secondary to big windshield, too much sun comes into cabin, disappointed with Honda service department for several issues unaddressed/abuse of car in parking lot, engine revs hang between shifts, lack of torque. Drivetrain should not have issues with less than 100,000 miles.

Fun, efficient, and reliable
By argimal

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Had the car for over two years now. Feels alot faster than it is. I love the high revving 4. Traded an S2000 for this because of family expansion. Haven't regretted yet. Would prefer a little more power but am satisfied. I commute 82 miles round trip to work and get 28-33 mpg depending on how hard I drive it, usually 29 mpg in mixed driving. 33 mpg on long trips consistently. Great car.

Favorite Features

8200 RPM redline, gearbox, exhaust note, USB drive.

Suggested Improvements

Offer satellite radio as a stand alone option instead of coupling it with the nav. A little more power.

Great car for a great price
By zerostar

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I had always lusted after the Civic Si back when the 2000's were new. Once Honda went back to the hatch-style I moved on to other cars since it didn't fit my life. As soon as the new "Si Sedan" came out I knew what my next car would be. I purchased my 09' in June and have loved every second of it. This has got to be one of the funnest daily drivers out there, despite requiring premium gas I am still getting upwards of 26+MPG with very aggressive driving. The seats are a magnet for cat hair so I am going to need to upgrade these to leather soon :-) I have also (Eibach) dropped my car about 1.4" in front and back and the handling is much improved.

Favorite Features

iVtech putting out 197 HP and getting 26 MPG is excellent :) Some are getting 400+ WHP with about $3k bolt-ons.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps add more "Si-specific" styling to differentiate from the Vanilla Civis

Great but could be better
By automax

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I drive about 33,000 miles per year, mostly highway. This is one of a very few cars that can do commuting and playing at the same time and do them well. For commuting, it's comfortable, reliable and economical(I average 31 MPG, 2 MPG better then EPA estimates). When you want to play, just rev the crap out of it and it rewards you, handling is solid, power is great (above 6000 RPM), and engine notes are extraordinary. All it needs is more torque, if Honda put in the Japan only "R" engine, this thing would be nirvana on wheels. If you do a lot of commuting, yet enjoy a spirited drive, this is one of the best buys out there.

Favorite Features

Great handling, flat and secure. Engine when revving sounds like a formula 1 engine. Very comfortable seats. Spacious interior. Price, the standard edition is fully loaded, only 2 options, Navigation and Summer tires, with all options this car is just over $24,000 sticker, try that with a GTI or Mini.

Suggested Improvements

More torque PLEASE. A little taller first gear. Steering is dead on center. Get rid of the "VTECH" stickers on the sides. Loose a little weight. Redesign the rear spoiler, make it simpler and more elegant.