2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Its a Honda....Need I say more...?!!
By gulfwalker62 on 12/15/13 13:11 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd Honda Civic, and what a huge improvement over 10-yrs. Its larger, safer, just as reliable, better fuel economy & this time I went for the EX Trim vs the LX last time. The EX sedan is a very nice sedan and offers many great features as standard. The only option I wished I would have gotten was remote start. That is my only regret, so in other words, you can NOT go wrong with a New/CPO/Used Honda Civic EX sedan.

It's all about the VTEC
By engineaddict on 08/31/13 08:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The Civic Si is a fun car to drive. Every time I get in the driver's seat, I smile to myself, even though I'm aware that fun doesn't mean winning over all of the other sporty cars on the road to the next signal light ('cause it is probably not going to happen). For those of you considering the Si, this is my recommendation: test drive at least 4 Civic Si's (so you know when one of these is dead). And, conduct your test drive in two phases: 1) gentle, "everyday" driving - this also allows the engine to warm up, too. 2) then, rev it out! The red line is 8000. Make it go there. If possible, turn off A/C & roll the windows down for this phase.

Civic si sedan
By mdschuet on 08/29/13 11:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I considered gti and civic si. Picked si thinking it would be more reliable. I was wrong. Many things have gone wrong and Honda will not fix unless you have deep pockets. Door handles stop working, trunk will stop working, and now 2nd gear is making noises and Honda wants 700 dollars just to open it up and diagnose. I bought this car to avoid this problem and here I am with the warrantee over, and transmission issues with 2.5 years left of payments. I'm stuck with it now, bought it for performance and excitement but now it's a point a to b car that I have to skip 2nd gear. It was fun and good until this. Get a warrantee or buy another car, I have 95,000 miles on it, and I drive good.

2009 Civic EX 5 Spd Manual
By mcuvelaine on 08/28/13 14:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Absolutely love it! My last Honda went nearly 200,000 miles before it needed any serious work. I grew up with Hondas, I learned to drive on a Honda, I am 100% committed to Honda. This is a fuel efficient car. It looks sporty, but it isn't a fast little racer. With that being said, I get an average of 34-38 mpg. Not complaining. It handles great, and the comfy seats are designed to keep you planted while taking corners at lightning speed ;) My one complaint is the gear box. I'm not sure if the previous owner was just too rough with it or what, but shifting (either up or down) into 2nd can be a sloppy, gear grinding mess if you don't put enough force into it.

Economic and reliable, but terribly built
By connorhol on 03/17/13 19:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car handles well enough and has decent power. A 6th gear would have been welcome, but there 5spd auto is sufficient. It's a good looking car with good featured and it gets good gas mileage. The area where the civic FAILS is I'm build quality. My rear LED brake light had to be replaced due to a bad solder point - a known defect. The interior rattles more than it should. The clearcoat on the hood was cracking and failing, but thankfully was fixed when I got a new hood due to hail damage. The driver seat has started squeaking loudly when I go over a bump, sometimes while entering and exiting the vehicle as well. This is a known issue with seat frame and I'm working with the dealer.

2009 Civic Hybrid Gas Mileage Hoax
By steve476 on 03/07/13 16:16 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The only reason i purchased the car was for the MPG. Advertised at 40-45 by Honda Not true! I have had the car for 3 months now and the best i can avg is 33-34 MPG. I drove the car on a 800 mile round trip and avg 32.9 MPG This is nothing less than robbery of the consumer. I Hope a class action lawsuit follows as did with hyundai and Kia.

Everything you need and more
By boss95 on 12/11/12 18:29 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This thing is a blast. Engine is powerful, don't be deceived by the numbers. It'll drive very comfortably for the everyday driver, but push the pedal the slightest bit and you're off. Handles like a foreign sports car. Engine has an awesome note to it as well. I just got this as my first car, and every single day I look forward to getting in that car, I love it. Couldn't ask for anything better. Great on gas too. We got it used with about 51k miles on it. Runs, looks and smells like new. Overall an outstanding car, and a thrill to drive. Even comes standard with premium audio system which includes subwoofer. Has enough power to rattle the rear view mirrors, with a motor that's smooth as silk

ShouldaBoughtAToyota
By miss_l on 10/10/12 10:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this car Certified used with just under 35k miles. I thought I was getting a deal. Boy was I wrong. When people buy a hybrid they're buying it for anything more than value. Now while I have yet to encounter many of the problems I have been reading on the wed, I am in fear for the future of this car. This car is advertised at 40/45 MPG. I have not even had the car a month and I am getting 33.4 and it keeps falling. I am about to have a dealer look at it but even she eluded that the issue will not get better. Worst purchase I ever made and I will be paying for it for 5 years!!

Poor MPG
By aminu1 on 09/21/12 04:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At 31,000 miles, my average mpg went down to 24. and i've gotten used to the check IMA and check engine lights on. Acceleration is poor when the IMA battery is discharged - have to downshift to gain some power. Besides, it's a good car.

Terrible Car - Never again
By primetime8032 on 06/22/12 05:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car about 4 months ago, ready to trade it in again. This car is absolutely terrible. The AC BARELY works, I went back into the dealership and they "recharged" it, still doesn't work. The sound system, lol what sound system, you can put the volume all the way on 40 (as high as it goes) and its still quiet (and sounds like [non-permissible content removed]). The car lags a lot when you hit the gas, very slow car, can't even keep up with traffic when merging onto the highway. Probably would be better in manual. The interior design is OK, only good thing this car has going for itself. The brakes are terrible, I bought the car as a 'Honda Certified' car, I had to return it TWICE for the brakes and still squeaks.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Civic in WA is:

$153 per month*