2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
1st and Last Honda
By nepahonda on 09/30/14 07:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first new car purchase. I was proud to purchase a new 2009 Honda Civic EX while in college and working full-time. The car was great when I first bought it. However, currently, I have 66,000 miles on it and it is literally falling apart in multiple aspects. I have the paint peeling on the drive side of the car. My muffler just rusted up completely and fell off. The "top of the line" alloy rims are a complete joke and all four have of them have started corroding and leak air. All sorts of interior paneling and weather stripping is literally just falling off of my car. COMPLETELY DISAPPOINTED in this Honda. We have had other Honda's and none have been this bad. DO NOT BUY ONE!

Gee, ours does 43 mpg!
By theczech52 on 08/18/14 20:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hi, I don't understand all the Civic hybrid bashing. Our '09 battery has never gone bad, and in FACT our second reserve car is an '05 Civic Hybrid at 148,000 on its original hybrid battery and averages 40 mpg! We don't garage either car here in upstate N.Y. Why are all of you having so many problems? Neighbors comment how good these cars look in our carport!

Honda Headaches - when will I learn ?
By topsail33 on 07/15/14 20:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr, Nav (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

2009 Civic Hybrid. IMA light comes on (aka the Light Of Death). MPG instantly drops 10 mpg. Dealer says it's throwing codes he's never seen before. Has to charge $140 to do further diagnostics. Calls and says the battery module fan is toast.....$700+ to fix. So, for $900, I can get my car back to where it's supposed to be. $900 completely negated ANY fuel savings for owning a hybrid. Out the window. Never again, will I buy a Honda. They don't back up their brand for beans. This is not a fluke, either. I own an '08 Civic Hybrid also. It's battery crapped out, luckily with 2k miles left on the warranty. Otherwise, I would have been out over $3k for that.

Love my Honda but..
By kiralee1 on 07/14/14 19:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car used with about 25,000 miles on it and it's at 62,000 miles now. Really fun to drive, nice handling, and exceptionally reliable. I've never had any mechanical problems, just regular service. It does really good in the snow if you put beefy snow tires on. The biggest problem is the paint. It's peeling everywhere and rusting. Honda said they don't cover the paint because of where I live. I've had a few older Hondas and they have all had paint issues. They are a more expensive economy car and I think they should have higher quality paint. If you get a lower end civic get better wheels put on. One pothole and the wheel will bend. Overall a really great car.

Its a Honda....Need I say more...?!!
By gulfwalker62 on 12/15/13 13:11 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd Honda Civic, and what a huge improvement over 10-yrs. Its larger, safer, just as reliable, better fuel economy & this time I went for the EX Trim vs the LX last time. The EX sedan is a very nice sedan and offers many great features as standard. The only option I wished I would have gotten was remote start. That is my only regret, so in other words, you can NOT go wrong with a New/CPO/Used Honda Civic EX sedan.

It's all about the VTEC
By engineaddict on 08/31/13 08:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The Civic Si is a fun car to drive. Every time I get in the driver's seat, I smile to myself, even though I'm aware that fun doesn't mean winning over all of the other sporty cars on the road to the next signal light ('cause it is probably not going to happen). For those of you considering the Si, this is my recommendation: test drive at least 4 Civic Si's (so you know when one of these is dead). And, conduct your test drive in two phases: 1) gentle, "everyday" driving - this also allows the engine to warm up, too. 2) then, rev it out! The red line is 8000. Make it go there. If possible, turn off A/C & roll the windows down for this phase.

Civic si sedan
By mdschuet on 08/29/13 11:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I considered gti and civic si. Picked si thinking it would be more reliable. I was wrong. Many things have gone wrong and Honda will not fix unless you have deep pockets. Door handles stop working, trunk will stop working, and now 2nd gear is making noises and Honda wants 700 dollars just to open it up and diagnose. I bought this car to avoid this problem and here I am with the warrantee over, and transmission issues with 2.5 years left of payments. I'm stuck with it now, bought it for performance and excitement but now it's a point a to b car that I have to skip 2nd gear. It was fun and good until this. Get a warrantee or buy another car, I have 95,000 miles on it, and I drive good.

2009 Civic EX 5 Spd Manual
By mcuvelaine on 08/28/13 14:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Absolutely love it! My last Honda went nearly 200,000 miles before it needed any serious work. I grew up with Hondas, I learned to drive on a Honda, I am 100% committed to Honda. This is a fuel efficient car. It looks sporty, but it isn't a fast little racer. With that being said, I get an average of 34-38 mpg. Not complaining. It handles great, and the comfy seats are designed to keep you planted while taking corners at lightning speed ;) My one complaint is the gear box. I'm not sure if the previous owner was just too rough with it or what, but shifting (either up or down) into 2nd can be a sloppy, gear grinding mess if you don't put enough force into it.

Economic and reliable, but terribly built
By connorhol on 03/17/13 19:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car handles well enough and has decent power. A 6th gear would have been welcome, but there 5spd auto is sufficient. It's a good looking car with good featured and it gets good gas mileage. The area where the civic FAILS is I'm build quality. My rear LED brake light had to be replaced due to a bad solder point - a known defect. The interior rattles more than it should. The clearcoat on the hood was cracking and failing, but thankfully was fixed when I got a new hood due to hail damage. The driver seat has started squeaking loudly when I go over a bump, sometimes while entering and exiting the vehicle as well. This is a known issue with seat frame and I'm working with the dealer.

2009 Civic Hybrid Gas Mileage Hoax
By steve476 on 03/07/13 16:16 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The only reason i purchased the car was for the MPG. Advertised at 40-45 by Honda Not true! I have had the car for 3 months now and the best i can avg is 33-34 MPG. I drove the car on a 800 mile round trip and avg 32.9 MPG This is nothing less than robbery of the consumer. I Hope a class action lawsuit follows as did with hyundai and Kia.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Civic in VA is:

$122 per month*