Used 2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 280 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Worst car I have ever owned
By Zach Hill

2009 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle, my 3rd new car and my 7th car overall, has required more preventative maintenance and more repair than all my other vehicles combined. I have had to had the transmission rebuilt every 65k miles. This vehicle is not modified (minus rims, which were only added 8k miles ago) nor ever been taken to a track or ridden hard but the transmission has utterly failed multiple times. The paint (which is covered by warranty) peeled off the car within 65k miles as well, requiring a piece-meal repair job resulting in a vehicle which is now multiple shades of blue. The interior, which is this soft-touch foam/plastic combo, cuts easily from any impact leaving scars all over the interior and the pseudo-suede used on the seats and arm rests easily gunks up in high-humidity resulting in a filthy-even-when-clean appearance. The performance leaves much to be desired, as there is ZERO clutch-feel and the throttle is unresponsive and "mushy". The steering does respond well with wider tires, but the stock tires sizes were appalling. Moderate acceleration resulted in a burn-out in first and second didnt have the power to pull you from a stop. The tires themselves, even after twice-a-year alignments, never lasted longer than 30k miles per set (typically 22k) because of Honda's drastic negative camber recommendations for rear-wheel alignment.

Worst paint and customer support
By btq4f@mst.edu

2009 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a Honda Civic 2009. The paint started to crack and peel from two years ago. the peeling and cracking is now everywhere on the car. It was a shame everywhere I went in these two years. Since I bought the car used, I thought the car was repainted because of an accident. However, I recently searched online and found out that this is a wide-spread problem for various Honda models!!!

I called Honda customer service and was told that because my car is just out of warranty (for twenty days) the repaint job should be done on my own expense, no matter the problem was persistent for last two years.

Putting aside how much shame and discomfort this car has brought for me in these years, I was shocked how rude and irresponsible they are in dealing with their loyal customers.

My suggestion to you all my friends is: NEVER go for Honda for your new car! Compared to the value and respect other automotive manufacturers like Toyota, etc would provide, it is crazy to invest your money on a car that brings discomfort for you when the company also refuses to take responsibility for their defected products.

I know this car
By matt judson

2009 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I went thru this car, changed out stereo for hands free bluetooth, pandora, sirus, all apps and more bells whistles.
Then I put remote starter, and tinted the windows.
This car is below 74K and treated like a baby. Its still driving tight and brand new.

Love this car!
By Eliana

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am really not sure what there is to complain on this car. I owned it for more than 1 year and had 0 problems! Well.. I forgot the light on one night, but the battery held it for about 15 hours! Strong battery and good performance. My car gives me 44.0 mpg in summer and around 40 mpg in winter due to idling longer in cold weather. The seats seem to toughen up after 1+ hours of sitting and it is painful, but overall, I would give it an A+ so far. I would definitely recommend! And hoping to keep the car for 10 years or at lease until I finish my degree.

Bought a car to flip. Learned to Love it!
By Ryan

2009 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car and owned it for a year only because I needed a truck. What a blast! The car came with two problems, which allowed for me to afford it at a discounted price. 1. Radio was crazy. changed stations by itself occasionally. Cost: $40 2. Clear coat was fading and flaking off of black paint. Cost: $0 because Honda extended their paint warranty to 7 years Unlimited miles for all affected models with this defect. WOW! I was so impressed with Honda, they repainted almost my entire car with almost no questions asked. It was so easy, and once I found the right dealer they put me in touch with customer service which went flawlessly. I can't stress enough how easy and streamlined their warranty process was. Not only is Honda great, the car was great. This was my first economy car and once gas was no object I piled the miles on, without care for my mpg's. Every drive I made exciting, because I could rely on my Honda even under hard use, and it was fun to use hard. While its not overly powerful, the motor loves to rev. The Transmission shifts well. The car is surprisingly easy to drift. E brake used on a regular basis! Steering was instant and crisp and there was 0 body roll, unless you loaded it to the brim. I definitely felt a connection to this car. Steering feel was excellent, even over 100 mph. I can't explain how much the engine just likes to go. Its not powerful, not fast, but its so reactive and fun to drive in the curves, and can cruise happily at 90 mph all day. My only gripe was the transmission. Don't get me wrong, it was a fine unit. If you ever wanted to drive and have fun you needed to manually shift it though. It was not so much a performance thing as some economy setting. I had to practically floor it to get a responsive down shift. Once the Honda decides its time, its lightning quick. But until then, your stuck out of the power band. Other then all that, the only creature comforts my car had was a base model radio (acceptable), AC (worked great), and the heater. The little aluminum block doesn't warm up unless you drive and work it in the winter, but once its up to temp....That heater is a FURNACE. I swear, it could burn you if you hold your hands too close for too long. Awesome heater. Car holds a surprising amount of cargo too. I filled so full it was practically a truck one time. Fold down seats. In summary, I really expected to hate this car, but after owning it for one year I would never have sold it had I not needed offroad capability and towing. (trust me I tried) I truly enjoyed driving it, which is really saying something for a boring economizer like a Honda Civic. I can see now why ricers like to ruin them. I brought the maintenance up to date, and the car was better off when I sold it after over 20k miles. Extremely low cost of ownership. I tried to drive the beans out of it but it just asked for more. Surprisingly tough for its size. I'd also like to add that I have drove later model Honda's that were not as peppy as my 2009 1.8.