2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Nice but with problems
By mj20 on 02/25/15 19:42 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have had my Civic for 5 years. It has not given me any mechanical issues so far. The A/C is terrible, especially in the summer time. It takes the A/C about 5-10 minutes to cool down during hot days. I literally have to drive my car non-stop without hitting traffic signals in order to get the A/C to start cooling down. I will sit in my car a sweat and usually by the time I am getting to my destination the A/C will get cold. The Navigation is terrible. It is constantly giving me longer routes than Google maps. If i try to look something up, say Walmart, it will give me a Walmart in Alaska and nowhere near me. The bluetooth is also terrible. I never use it because no one can hear me.

Reliable, Fun, Fuel Efficient, Cheap, VTEC yo
By shadetreegiant on 01/03/15 21:08 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I own a 2009 Honda Civic EX Sedan (automatic transmission). The 1.8 Liter VTEC engine is the centerpiece of this car. The VTEC allows this engine to have two "personalities". While cruising on the highway, the engine is composed and fuel efficient. If you step on the gas pedal a little more aggressively, the VTEC solenoid kicks in and uses a second set of cam lobes that makes the engine more powerful. So, it is literally a two-faced engine that can be both fun or economical. The transmission will stay smooth as long as you change the fluid on schedule (every 30k miles). The rest of the car is also well designed, but you need to remember that the Civic is still an economy car.

09 Honda Civic Hybrid
By adam063321 on 01/01/15 09:52 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my HCH with 72,000 miles certified from a Honda dealer. The car looked and felt great! I lived in Ohio and all roads where I lived were flat and continuously got 45-60mpg on flat roads going 57-59mph. I bought the car to drive like crazy 28,000 miles a year. The IMA battery went out at 95,000 miles. (Luckily I bought the extended warranty when I purchased it). I now have had it for 3 years and have 150,000 miles. I have never had any issues at all besides the IMA battery.

1st and Last Honda
By nepahonda on 09/30/14 07:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first new car purchase. I was proud to purchase a new 2009 Honda Civic EX while in college and working full-time. The car was great when I first bought it. However, currently, I have 66,000 miles on it and it is literally falling apart in multiple aspects. I have the paint peeling on the drive side of the car. My muffler just rusted up completely and fell off. The "top of the line" alloy rims are a complete joke and all four have of them have started corroding and leak air. All sorts of interior paneling and weather stripping is literally just falling off of my car. COMPLETELY DISAPPOINTED in this Honda. We have had other Honda's and none have been this bad. DO NOT BUY ONE!

Gee, ours does 43 mpg!
By theczech52 on 08/18/14 20:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hi, I don't understand all the Civic hybrid bashing. Our '09 battery has never gone bad, and in FACT our second reserve car is an '05 Civic Hybrid at 148,000 on its original hybrid battery and averages 40 mpg! We don't garage either car here in upstate N.Y. Why are all of you having so many problems? Neighbors comment how good these cars look in our carport!

Honda Headaches - when will I learn ?
By topsail33 on 07/15/14 20:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr, Nav (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

2009 Civic Hybrid. IMA light comes on (aka the Light Of Death). MPG instantly drops 10 mpg. Dealer says it's throwing codes he's never seen before. Has to charge $140 to do further diagnostics. Calls and says the battery module fan is toast.....$700+ to fix. So, for $900, I can get my car back to where it's supposed to be. $900 completely negated ANY fuel savings for owning a hybrid. Out the window. Never again, will I buy a Honda. They don't back up their brand for beans. This is not a fluke, either. I own an '08 Civic Hybrid also. It's battery crapped out, luckily with 2k miles left on the warranty. Otherwise, I would have been out over $3k for that.

Love my Honda but..
By kiralee1 on 07/14/14 19:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car used with about 25,000 miles on it and it's at 62,000 miles now. Really fun to drive, nice handling, and exceptionally reliable. I've never had any mechanical problems, just regular service. It does really good in the snow if you put beefy snow tires on. The biggest problem is the paint. It's peeling everywhere and rusting. Honda said they don't cover the paint because of where I live. I've had a few older Hondas and they have all had paint issues. They are a more expensive economy car and I think they should have higher quality paint. If you get a lower end civic get better wheels put on. One pothole and the wheel will bend. Overall a really great car.

Its a Honda....Need I say more...?!!
By gulfwalker62 on 12/15/13 13:11 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd Honda Civic, and what a huge improvement over 10-yrs. Its larger, safer, just as reliable, better fuel economy & this time I went for the EX Trim vs the LX last time. The EX sedan is a very nice sedan and offers many great features as standard. The only option I wished I would have gotten was remote start. That is my only regret, so in other words, you can NOT go wrong with a New/CPO/Used Honda Civic EX sedan.

It's all about the VTEC
By engineaddict on 08/31/13 08:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The Civic Si is a fun car to drive. Every time I get in the driver's seat, I smile to myself, even though I'm aware that fun doesn't mean winning over all of the other sporty cars on the road to the next signal light ('cause it is probably not going to happen). For those of you considering the Si, this is my recommendation: test drive at least 4 Civic Si's (so you know when one of these is dead). And, conduct your test drive in two phases: 1) gentle, "everyday" driving - this also allows the engine to warm up, too. 2) then, rev it out! The red line is 8000. Make it go there. If possible, turn off A/C & roll the windows down for this phase.

Civic si sedan
By mdschuet on 08/29/13 11:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I considered gti and civic si. Picked si thinking it would be more reliable. I was wrong. Many things have gone wrong and Honda will not fix unless you have deep pockets. Door handles stop working, trunk will stop working, and now 2nd gear is making noises and Honda wants 700 dollars just to open it up and diagnose. I bought this car to avoid this problem and here I am with the warrantee over, and transmission issues with 2.5 years left of payments. I'm stuck with it now, bought it for performance and excitement but now it's a point a to b car that I have to skip 2nd gear. It was fun and good until this. Get a warrantee or buy another car, I have 95,000 miles on it, and I drive good.