2008 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Too many compromises

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

LX Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Too many compromises
By Shawn on

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After only 65,000 KM and 1 year, I traded this car in for a Corolla. First vehicle I have owned and not put more than 200,000 KM on. This vehicle, is poorly made. The rattles after only 15K are unacceptable, and everything is breaking. The throw out bearing went out at 40,000 KM along with the 4 disk breaks. The passenger window fell off the track 3 times. The fuel economy of my corolla in the real world is much better, 36 vs 42 MPG mixed driving even thought the civic is rated higher. There is so little low end torque, it is hard to drive efficiently. Also at 110 KM/H the car revs at 3K RPM in 5th. I really expected more! The car is very weak (poor starting/shifting) in cold weather.

Favorite Features

The car does drive very well. It has quick steering and firm and comfortable seats. The ABS works very well, and the car has lots of Air Bags and seems very safe. Also the car has never left me stranded once it has been started even though it has had many problems.

Suggested Improvements

Better standard stereo, better winter performance, stronger battery, synthetic transmission fluid. Fewer scratchable surfaces, higher quality materials, less road noise and rattling. More reliable design, the engine is great, but everything else is lacking! Everything rattles, and breaks.