2008 Honda Civic Consumer Review: The perfect small car

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

LX Coupe (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

The perfect small car
By arcticracer on

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This little car is a gem. My first criteria was MPG, but I got way more than I expected. It was hard to find one with a manual, but I am old school (52 yrs) and prefer it by far. After over 7000 Alaska miles I have averaged 33.7 MPG. On the highway in summer I have reached over 46. With a set of General Altimax Arctic studded tires my Civic sticks to the gnarly Alaska winter roads like glue. Snow tires cost 5 MPG. Handling is precise, sporty, and steering balanced and neutral, leaning slightly toward oversteer. With over 6 months of ice and snow, I have been amazed with the sure-footed habits of the Civic. My wife also loves driving it.

Favorite Features

Having driven the Civic through one brutal Fairbanks winter down to 50 below, the heater has proven to be excellent. Even idling and around town. Instrumentation is cool, and the ergonomics also very good. Looks very sporty. Very high resale according to most sources.

Suggested Improvements

Radio needs improvement. Suffers from intermod distortion in large city. (2 stations at once). Radio has interference when rear defroster is on. Door panel vinyl covering is easy to mark up, my dog left toenail marks on it. Rear brakes are drums, would like discs.