WARNING: Honda IMA Reprogram Recall
By BLC on
2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
My Civic hybrid performed flawlessly and still regulary returns 43 mpg per tank in mixed city/hwy driving. Per notice from Honda I took recall notice in and was told the computer reflash would only affect the battery recharge rate - would NOT affect the driving characteristics of the car. However, since reflashed, the battery is quicker to discharge in city driving. If it falls below 4 bars of power THE IMA POWER BOOST DOES NOT ENGAGE. I am trying to accelerate with only the 1.3L gas engine until I recharge above 5 bars Dealer sent computer test sample to Honda Tech Dept who acknowledge "many" such instances, but insist the new computer program is operating as designed-NO FIX.
Favorite Features
I still love the driving and handling and my MPG is still solid. My fuel bill is 1/2 what I spent driving my '04 Accord V6/manual 6speed. Slow and steady wins the race. Styling is still fresh and I still love the two tiered instrument stack even after 2 years. Unique.
Suggested Improvements
Honda should but can't reverse-program the recall "fix". Sacrificing MY car's power management to fix THEIR battery longevity issue is WRONG Thanks for nothing Honda..