2008 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Don't believe the hype (don't

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

Hybrid Sedan (1.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Don't believe the hype (don't buy it)
By Jimmy on

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was going to buy a Prius or a normal Honda Civic. I decided to split the my decision and go with a low mileage Civic Hybrid. Big Mistake my friends. When I test drove it I was impressed because the car is very smooth and rides nice. It seemed to be everything I wanted. However after two days of driving my new hybrid I noticed I was only getting 33 mpg highway and city. I filled the tank up twice and the car went 400 miles on a 12.3 gallon tank (that's what the size is and it equals 33 mpg). I tried to take it back and trade for another regular Civic but I was told "You signed and now you are stuck with it." All I am told is "You have to drive with a light foot" Prius, Prius, Prius!

Smooth ride and the radio

Gas millage is not as advertised. A better return policy would be nice. If the car DOESN'T perform as advertised the consumer should be allowed to take it back.
By timp21117
on 09/22/12 18:15 PM (PDT)

I'm not sure of your driving style, but I have a 2008 HCH that I drive 110 miles round trip to work every day. 80 pct of my driving are highway miles, and I am averaging just shy of 42 mpg since I bought the car 4 1/2 years ago. I have gotten as high as 55 mpg and as little as 30 on a tank of gas. My complaints with the car are primarily the lack of amenities (no leather, no moonroof, etc.) and the ride can be harsh. I ditched the factory tires at about 30K miles and put on Michelin hybrid tires and that helped with the noise (a little), wet traction (a lot!), and even bumped mileage a mpg or so. I've gotten used to the lack of power for acceleration. I watch gaps between cars when passing and allow adequate time for it to wind up. Once it is up to speed, I have no trouble keeping up with traffic. I drive to work (Baltimore to DC) at 75 mph - and somewhere in that range is where the mpg maxes out.