Used 2008 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Good car for the money
By Roger

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car with 24 miles on it. It's been a good car. You're not going to blow anyone away off the line with the 1.8L engine, but you will get great gas mileage. I average around 39 mpg year round. Higher in the summer, lower in the winter. Nothing has broken yet, but it shouldn't on a three year old car. I do my own tires, own oil changes, and own repairs. The car is well designed and seems to be well built. I do have some issues with the paint. Honda did a poor job painting the car and I noticed several areas where there's some blob under the clear coat. Like dirt or dust got on the car.

Favorite Features

Well designed interior. 60/40 fold down seats are great.

Suggested Improvements

Why doesn't anyone have a face / defrost setting on cars? NOBODY has this. I want that.

Great Car
By Wynonah

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Great Car!! Here are the cars I have owned in the past few years. (I change my cars about every 6 months). I have a friend in the car business so when a new deal comes up we sell my car and get a new pre-owned one. I have had a Lexus ES300, Infinity I30, Two Lincoln Continentals and my last car was an Acura RL. I no longer look for or want another car. My 2008 Civic EX is a keeper.

Favorite Features

I purchased it used with 48K miles on it. I currently have 60K. No problems whatsoever. I did a trans flush at 50K. Had the shop use 100% synthetic and what a difference. Car shifts smoothly as can be. Changed the tires to Michelin MXV4s and the ride comfort enhanced greatly.

Suggested Improvements

I do have 2 suggestions. They are not really complaints more like disappointments. The EX is the upper level trim yet not stability control or heated mirrors. You have to get the leather package for that. Come on Honda! A $11,000 Kia has stability control! Other then that the car is Great!

Every 2 months!
By Rick

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in 2008. I had looked at the Toyota Matrix, but preferred the civic styling. For the first 2 months I was dealing with a clunking sound in the front end. After 3 visits to the dealership and a final stay of 3 days it was fixed. The dealership did a fairly major front end rebuild. Starting this past August there was a coil failure not once, but twice. The 2nd time left us stranded. Tonight was another call to Honda roadside assistance. Beautiful, eh. So I bought a HONDA built in Canada at the plant my family and friends work at. This is what I got. Well Merry Christmas!

Favorite Features

Handling is great, when it runs

Suggested Improvements

Improved quality control.

First and last Honda
By mastermind

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Traded a '95 Camry for this brand new '08 Civic. Never owned a Honda product, but thought I had nothing to lose, given all the hype about Honda quality. Boy was that a mistake! Lousy gas mileage (never better than 25 mpg, but my much bigger Camry got 23), mechanical problems - worn out strut mounts, A/C quit working, 3 out of 4 electric door locks went bad, and the list goes on. Rented a Nissan Sentra last time my Civic was in the shop, and was astonished at how quiet it was on the highway compared to my Civic. This is my first AND LAST Honda product. Trading it in ASAP for a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, sound insulation to deal with deafening road noise, general quality.

Honda can do better
By Valmomof2

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

yeah, the gas mileage is good. Not in the hot summer though. If you sit at a red light too long the hybrid battery runs down and you have very little power to accelerate. No frills in the interior. No automatic headlights, no lighted vanity mirrors, no rear cup holders. It would not have cost Honda that much to add a few comforts to make the driving experience a little more pleasurable.

Favorite Features

Does this car have any features?

Suggested Improvements

Better hybrid battery, automatic headlights, lighted vanity mirrors, cup holders, too many suggestions to list them all