Used 2008 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 559 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Very Solid High MPG Car
By bobbichen

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I puchased this unit used, recently in very good condition. ($13k, 44k miles).
Hybrids are certainly a different breed of cat.
They drive a bit differently, though I like the driving dynamics much better than the Prius. (Brakes seem "grabby" and steering doesn't fit me; HCH has a telescoping and tilt wheel that allows a more aggressive steering position).
I find the car to be plenty peppy as to acceleration.
Handling and braking are very good in my opinion.
Car feels sporty.
Hybrid system is a little distracting, and does some odd things (sudden battery "dumps" at times, MPG drops on cold weather). Ride is a bit stiff, bordering on harsh on poor pavement.

Gas mileage is very good in town. With regular car tires set at 40 psi, I get about 35 mpg in warmer weather (above 45 degrees) in mostly city stop and go traffic. The system clearly dislikes cold weather as MPG drops into the 20s below 30 degrees or so. I like the instrument column. Seats in back are decent and truck is also fairly large. If your battery drops charge you can simply pull over, put in Park, and rev up to 2500+ and battery will quickly recharge in a few minutes. Car is best for moderate climate with rolling to flat terrain (Colorado mountains would likely be a problem). Vehicles are soft on resale vs. Prius and a good value IMHO.

Hybrid charging is a little distracting and could lead to an accident. Have to police yourself. The audio speakers are an embarrassment. I have seen bigger magnets in Fisher Price branded products. I replaced the front and rear speakers for about $100 and 3 or 4 hours of my time, but it should come with decent speakers considering that HCH was priced in the mid 20s originally. Seats are a bit firm and suspension might be a little softer (though likely that way to maximize MPG). Auto stop can be a real hassle in parking situations. Needs a button to toggle it off during such maneuvers. A lot of traffic about battery failures on internet and this site. No problems so far.

2008 Civic MT problems
By mwitt

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2008 Civic 5 speed manual for over 2 years now. I have 47,000 miles on it. I am very disappointed. First minor problem: One of my rear tires cupped and had to be replaced. OK, maybe not Honda's fault. Next, drivers side window has a problem. Sometimes it goes up and sometimes it doesn't. Now, a big problem. My clutch is not working. Car jerks and vibrates when shifting into 1st and 2nd gear. The dealer said I need a new cluth at cost of $2000. I've had Honda's before and have loved them for their reliability. I don't think I will be buying one again.

Poor Gas Mileage, poor acceleration.
By ttomaka

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Nicely-designed car but never did better than 40 mpg combined city/highway. I recently received the Honda-directed firmware "update" which has radically altered the hybrid propulsion system. Fuel economy has decreased by 5 mpg, and the car often is incapable of accelerating when you need it. Honda refuses to admit to a problem.

Replace the hybrid propulsion system with one that works.

Never again
By Anonymous

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been getting good (>43 MG) mileage before the Honda update to my Hybrid in May of 2010. Prior to that update I had reached 47.8 MPG on a 1,022 mile trip from my son's home in GA to my home in Boston. After the May computer update, I never got better than 38 MPG, even on the highway. I've had this thing back to the dealer at least 3 times for crappy gas mileage after the May update. One more thing - the resale value on these things is terrible. The Toyota dealer across the driveway from my Honda dealer offered me $9 grand on a trade-in for this $22,000 Hybrid with less than 34,500 miles and less than 24 months driving. I pick up my new 2010 Prius tomorrow.

That I can afford to get rid of it.

Fix your computer updates and figure out how to maintain residual value on this car, guys.

MPG Exceeds EPA Range for Highway
By back44

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Civic EX with the 1.8 liter engine when fuel prices were approaching $4.00 per gallon. We recently averaged 39 mpg over a 2200 mile trip much of it through mountainous terrain. My best mileage was at 45 mpg over a newly paved interstate. The smoothness of the road helps in delivering good mileage. And driving at the posted interstate speed of 70 MPH does not diminish the mpg. The Civic averages about 28 mpg in town.

Holds the road very well in curves and during turns. Very aerodynamic! Very comfortable suspension. Adjustable steering wheel pushes in and pulls out as well as up and down.

My only complaint is that the EX trim should come standard with a lumbar control for the driver's seat. Climbing into the driver's seat is like that of a race car. I wish it were easier to get into the seat.