Used 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

No Economy, nor Honda Quality Here
By johncr12

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned a Honda, either a Civic or Accord since 1973. I purchased one of the first Honda Civics in the US (Wash DC). So I know the quality that Honda is capable of. This particular car I purchased over a Prius, based on the style and economy of the car. I can overlook the definite road noise that is present, but I cannot over look the low mileage, far below the est MPG of 40/50. The best I have gotten on a 180m trip was 30.8 mpg. As for city mpg, I average 28.7. Would I recommend this car, absolutely not. I currently have 420 miles on this vehicle (second car). She's not yet broken in, but looking at other's mpg- this car is really lacking. This will be my last Honda. Prius is right!

Favorite Features

The style of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Put better insulation in between chassis and road - road noise is quite noticeable. Make a hybrid engine that does what it is advertised to do! This car is a lemon according to the current mpg I am getting at just over 400 miles. We use it as our second car. It was to be our green car - which it is not.

Excellent car
By Derek

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I initially bought the hybrid to drive in the HOV lane to save time going to work. I got it just prior to gas prices going up so I paid invoice. This car has really impressed us on its ride and especially the mileage. I have gotten just over 40 mpg average since purchasing the vehicle 13,000 miles ago. I tried to be a miser on one tank and got 52 mpg. Handling is smooth and tight compared to the top heavy Prius. Great car, would buy another.

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

better radio system

Satisfied with MPG and Comfort
By Satisfied on MPG

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Looking for great MPG and comfort on long trips in car I plan to own over 10 years and 200,000 miles. Have owned the car for 2 months and have over 5,000 miles. MPG has ranged from 42 to 47 using 89 octane 90% Ethanol fuel in Midwest. 1/2 has been Interstate mileage at 75-80 mph with A/C. Best mileage was 47 mpg with 65 mph highway night time with no A/C. Car has been everything I hoped for! My concerns include (1) Auto stop engine cutoff at stop light/signs on hill and car will roll back if break not fully depressed. (2) Accelerating power at either a stopped position moving into traffic or passing at high speed is limited. Only 2nd new car bought. Prius wait 9 months; Civic 2 weeks.

Best car on the market
By steve

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Drove both Civic Hybrid & Prius before buying. Civic is quieter; has fewer distractions for operator; and gets even better mileage than advertised. We have taken several 400 mile trips and find the Civic to be stable and effortless on the highway. We have discovered that keeping cruise speed below 68 mph increases gas mileage by nearly 6%. I utilize GPS on other vehicles and would prefer a more comprehensive data base on the Civic. We love the car and feel that we made the right choice.

Favorite Features

non shifting transmission (very smooth); engine shutdown when stopped at traffic light; excellent media (sound) system.

Suggested Improvements

Improve GPS data base

Extremely Satisfied
By Happy Camper

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After one month of driving my new Civic Hybrid, I am completely satisfied with my purchase. The MPG is 40 in town and 45 on the Hwy as advertised without having to change my driving habits. The fit and finish are excellent. The ride is quiet and comfortable. The instruments are all easily accessible.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, appearance, fit and finish, drive and ride. XM Satellite radio. Low environmental impact.

Suggested Improvements

The AC needs to be able to operate while on battery power in the same manner the Toyota hybrids do. In the Texas heat the motor has to often run at halts to keep the AC going. When on battery you are only recirculating interior air and it heats up quickly inside.