Used 2008 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2008 Civic MT problems
By mwitt

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2008 Civic 5 speed manual for over 2 years now. I have 47,000 miles on it. I am very disappointed. First minor problem: One of my rear tires cupped and had to be replaced. OK, maybe not Honda's fault. Next, drivers side window has a problem. Sometimes it goes up and sometimes it doesn't. Now, a big problem. My clutch is not working. Car jerks and vibrates when shifting into 1st and 2nd gear. The dealer said I need a new cluth at cost of $2000. I've had Honda's before and have loved them for their reliability. I don't think I will be buying one again.

Poor Gas Mileage, poor acceleration.
By ttomaka

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Nicely-designed car but never did better than 40 mpg combined city/highway. I recently received the Honda-directed firmware "update" which has radically altered the hybrid propulsion system. Fuel economy has decreased by 5 mpg, and the car often is incapable of accelerating when you need it. Honda refuses to admit to a problem.

Replace the hybrid propulsion system with one that works.

Never again
By Anonymous

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been getting good (>43 MG) mileage before the Honda update to my Hybrid in May of 2010. Prior to that update I had reached 47.8 MPG on a 1,022 mile trip from my son's home in GA to my home in Boston. After the May computer update, I never got better than 38 MPG, even on the highway. I've had this thing back to the dealer at least 3 times for crappy gas mileage after the May update. One more thing - the resale value on these things is terrible. The Toyota dealer across the driveway from my Honda dealer offered me $9 grand on a trade-in for this $22,000 Hybrid with less than 34,500 miles and less than 24 months driving. I pick up my new 2010 Prius tomorrow.

That I can afford to get rid of it.

Fix your computer updates and figure out how to maintain residual value on this car, guys.

MPG Exceeds EPA Range for Highway
By back44

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Civic EX with the 1.8 liter engine when fuel prices were approaching $4.00 per gallon. We recently averaged 39 mpg over a 2200 mile trip much of it through mountainous terrain. My best mileage was at 45 mpg over a newly paved interstate. The smoothness of the road helps in delivering good mileage. And driving at the posted interstate speed of 70 MPH does not diminish the mpg. The Civic averages about 28 mpg in town.

Holds the road very well in curves and during turns. Very aerodynamic! Very comfortable suspension. Adjustable steering wheel pushes in and pulls out as well as up and down.

My only complaint is that the EX trim should come standard with a lumbar control for the driver's seat. Climbing into the driver's seat is like that of a race car. I wish it were easier to get into the seat.

I'm really liking it!
By dm

2008 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good, bought second hand, very zippy, very comfortable seats, huge windshield. Interior plastic gouges/scratches very very easy, didn't like the rims it came with, has a blind spot on either left or right of the windshield, likely do to the thickness of where they put the side airbags. Overall, I really enjoy this car, wish it had another plug in thing for cell phone/gps etc. Fairly noisy from road noise

love the layout of dash, cup holders etc. the seats feel like they're hugging you

more plug-ins, more durable plastic

• SUV