Used 2008 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 556 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Reliable, fast, great handling
By smoothcivic

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased used in 2010 with 8,000km. Now has 43,000km. Feels like it hasn't aged a single bit. No problems, extremely fast on highways and local roads, easy to zip between cars and get thru traffic easily. Independent suspension makes cornering easy. Ride is slightly bumpy, compared to full size sedans. Drove 10 hours straight from Toronto to Queens, averaging 90mph all the way, and the car gave no problems. Was a very fun drive winding along the mountains at high speed. Fuel efficiency decreases substantially at higher speeds. Sad to see others writing poor comments, they must have received the bad apples, because otherwise the car follows the tradition for exceptional quality for me.

Very fast acceleration from standstill, independent suspension allows for effortless cornering without slowing down, reliability is SOLID even with all the beating I put thru it, spacious interior for its class, trunk space sufficient for multiple passengers in long journeys.

Stock speakers are absolutely crap. Barely any bass in high volume. Ride is slightly bumpy, but bearable. The stiff suspension allows for the great handling and cornering, but you feel the road more than bigger sedans. I feel the automatic transmission slightly slipping when I slow down then quickly accelerating again, but dealership can't find anything wrong. So I'll wait to see if it gets worse, and fix it within warranty if necessary.

Disappointed
By wvm1

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought a new Civic LX in 2008. Owned 2.5 years and put 28,000 miles on it. Found the position of the headrests too far forward, not allowing me to put my head in a comfortable driving position. The rear suspension chewed up the rear tires by 18,000 miles. At 20,000 miles the air intake meter abruptly died leaving my family and I stranded.The auto transmission from day one shifted roughly from 1st to 2nd gear. And the final straw was discovering 2006 through 2008 Civic engines have been cracking and losing cooling fluid, as early as 40,000 miles. Loved driving this sporty four door, but was unhappy with its unreliability.

Sporty ride, leg/head room backseat, digital speedometer.

Improve reliability of engine, improve transmission shifting, improve premature wear rear tires.

Very Solid High MPG Car
By bobbichen

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I puchased this unit used, recently in very good condition. ($13k, 44k miles).
Hybrids are certainly a different breed of cat.
They drive a bit differently, though I like the driving dynamics much better than the Prius. (Brakes seem "grabby" and steering doesn't fit me; HCH has a telescoping and tilt wheel that allows a more aggressive steering position).
I find the car to be plenty peppy as to acceleration.
Handling and braking are very good in my opinion.
Car feels sporty.
Hybrid system is a little distracting, and does some odd things (sudden battery "dumps" at times, MPG drops on cold weather). Ride is a bit stiff, bordering on harsh on poor pavement.

Gas mileage is very good in town. With regular car tires set at 40 psi, I get about 35 mpg in warmer weather (above 45 degrees) in mostly city stop and go traffic. The system clearly dislikes cold weather as MPG drops into the 20s below 30 degrees or so. I like the instrument column. Seats in back are decent and truck is also fairly large. If your battery drops charge you can simply pull over, put in Park, and rev up to 2500+ and battery will quickly recharge in a few minutes. Car is best for moderate climate with rolling to flat terrain (Colorado mountains would likely be a problem). Vehicles are soft on resale vs. Prius and a good value IMHO.

Hybrid charging is a little distracting and could lead to an accident. Have to police yourself. The audio speakers are an embarrassment. I have seen bigger magnets in Fisher Price branded products. I replaced the front and rear speakers for about $100 and 3 or 4 hours of my time, but it should come with decent speakers considering that HCH was priced in the mid 20s originally. Seats are a bit firm and suspension might be a little softer (though likely that way to maximize MPG). Auto stop can be a real hassle in parking situations. Needs a button to toggle it off during such maneuvers. A lot of traffic about battery failures on internet and this site. No problems so far.

2008 Civic MT problems
By mwitt

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2008 Civic 5 speed manual for over 2 years now. I have 47,000 miles on it. I am very disappointed. First minor problem: One of my rear tires cupped and had to be replaced. OK, maybe not Honda's fault. Next, drivers side window has a problem. Sometimes it goes up and sometimes it doesn't. Now, a big problem. My clutch is not working. Car jerks and vibrates when shifting into 1st and 2nd gear. The dealer said I need a new cluth at cost of $2000. I've had Honda's before and have loved them for their reliability. I don't think I will be buying one again.

Poor Gas Mileage, poor acceleration.
By ttomaka

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Nicely-designed car but never did better than 40 mpg combined city/highway. I recently received the Honda-directed firmware "update" which has radically altered the hybrid propulsion system. Fuel economy has decreased by 5 mpg, and the car often is incapable of accelerating when you need it. Honda refuses to admit to a problem.

Replace the hybrid propulsion system with one that works.