Used 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best Commute
By ES in AZ

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this car after my wife objected to the look of the Prius. She was right. This car is much more stylish and given my driving habits, almost as efficient as the Prius. The car has been rock-solid with the only hiccup being a modification to the rear suspension to avoid tire cupping. You learn to drive a hybrid. The car has several feedback indicators which allow you to adjust your driving habits to attain the best mileage. During the Phoenix summer my mileage will drop to about 42 mpg (as measured at the pump), versus a best of 53 in the winter. The best feeling is when you are in "auto stop", look around, and realize that you are the only car not putting anything out the tailpipe.

Instrument display

Larger, more powerful electric motor

After 14 months still a great car
By Happy Hybrid Driver

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a little over 48,000 miles on my Hybrid. I have driven it in many different driving conditions from the cold in western NY to the heat of the Southeast and it has performed great. I have gotten just over 45.0 mpg. I have tracked every mile and every gallon. Over my 2007 Civic LX it is a 26.1% improvement in gas mileage. I do mostly highway driving and would recommend this car to anyone.

The XM radio has been great especially over the long drives. The navigation system has been a real help especially when in cities that are new. The accuracy is great.

This is my third Honda Civic in the past three years. Each have been very reliable. it does the speed limit with ease, gets great gas mileage, what else could you ask for.

Fun car - does NOT like the cold!
By Kevin

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have to say I really do enjoy driving this car. Regardless of how slow it is, the feeling is very solid and really lets you feel the road. Brakes are a little weak (Civics have always had pretty weak brakes). Very small trunk space, but manageable. If you live in a very cold area (i.e. single digits and below), expect to see extremely low MPG numbers. I live in Chicago, and around town it averages about 30 MPG when it's 30-40 degrees, and when the weather drops to single digits and below, the mpg plummets to mid 20s. Highway isn't much better - when the engine is fully warmed up, cruise control on the highway at 65, I get about 35 MPG (again only in cold weather). Very disappointing.

Interior design is absolutely gorgeous. The steering wheel controls have to be my favorite feature - very solid feeling, simple and easy to use. Maintenance minder system is great - no worries about counting down mileage until your next oil change.

Traction control would be an excellent feature. Improve gas mileage in cold weather. Interior door panels could use a bit more padding - at certain frequencies my speakers cause annoying vibrations (no I don't listen to loud music either).

Best commute car
By King George

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 11K miles, the car is perfect except I cannot get rid of the the "tire" warning light. This car gives 38.8 mpg for both city and highway. Acceleration is adequate to merge and change lane at 60-70mph. I got speeding ticket for running 89 mph ( in fact it was 93 mph) in a smooth highway. Sound system is much less than perfect but if you just listen to radio then it's a good fit for the money.

Surprisingly stable at high speed (80-90 mph), sleek steering wheel and display panel, quiet ride.

Loose foot support pedal (nuts fell fell of after few days); need leather & powered seats, sun roof, better sound system (how about Bose?)

Great mileage, poor performance
By Chad Olsen

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great all-around commuter car. I have gotten 36.4 MPG calculated by my own consumption figures (not the built-in computer) for the first 11,000 miles. I drive 50% freeway and 50% very slow Los Angeles stop-n-go. The car is very comfortable for a small car and the ergonomics and controls are the best I have experienced. Fuel economy suffers significantly with a/c, slow traffic, and hills. Put any two of those together and MPG drops to the teens. This car cannot climb Baxter street in Echo Park, one of LA's steepest streets. It literally stops half way up the hill and will not move further even with full throttle.

The Nav system is excellent and superior to BMW and Lexus. The storage in and around the console is ample and very convenient.

Improve performance, or provide a performance and economy mode. Modify the hybrid system to allow for electric-only.