2008 Honda Civic DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Reliable little car
By Indrek_S on 07/30/10 05:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Extremely reliable car you will not notice you have it. Service once a year (around 160 USD) and thatīs it. I had some problems at the beginning. One electric motor position sensor was faulty (common problem for 2007 built cars. after changing under warranty, no problems). Also drivers window was running out of rail. Warranty covered it (new rails). this is also common for Civics. And third trip to dealer was due to dead battery (covered under warranty). All those faults occur first couple of months and 70,000 km later no problems at all. Every time I visited dealer with those problems they gave me replacement Hybrid until my car was there. So good customer service overall.

Disappointed
By Jess on 07/28/10 22:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

So I bought my car back in January and I loved it until one day I was driving down the road and the sun visor on the passenger side just fell down and won't go back up and its not even covered on my extended warranty and the drivers side is bout to break and come to find out they have this problem with all of their 8th generation civics and they won't recall them. I guess they just expect you to pay to get them replaced every time it gets hot outside and they break because they are made out of cheap plastic. I don't know about anyone else but I don't have 130 dollars to dish out every time they break. This will be last one i buy since they don't feel the need to fix problems with their cars.

Great so far!
By dmatthews on 07/20/10 21:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I just bought my Civic EX 3 days ago so this review is more so a beginning measurement. But so far I am loving it. To be honest I really wanted the 2010 Mazda3 but couldn't afford but after a few days in the Civic, I really have nothing to complain about. Maneuverability is excellent, surprising acceleration considering its a 4 cylinder. My only complaint is the speaker system could be a tad bit better and I can't see the hood so it makes parallel parking kinda hard but definitely not a deal breaker for me. If you are looking for a stylish, reliable small car then the Civic is the way to go!

Brake problems?
By JD on 07/19/10 17:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have 20,000 original miles on this vehicle. I have been back to the dealer once to change pads and have rotors cut, once to "remove oxygen" from my brake fluid and a third time to be told that it was my imagination I was stepping on a pedal that felt like a marshmallow. (I almost hit a car in front of me on the way to the dealer). Ear splitting noise, poor brakes, tires are wearing ,sun visor split in half. Trading in the car for a Chevy this week. My first and last Honda.

Not impressed
By rlb3232 on 07/18/10 20:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This car was decent overall, i'm 6'11 and drove it for almost two years. The gas mileage is really good on the highway (38-44) with a full car and two large people in it, but gas mileage in town is not too impressive (25-28) when driven very cautiously. The interior design is cool but materials used are very cheap feeling. The ride was loud on the highway and bumpy to say the least. The cloth seats seem really cheap and i hate the light gray interior because it stains so easily. Overall a good car for a high school student since its kind of sporty with adequate gas mileage. I traded up to a dodge charger which i'm extremely happy with, what a different ride.

Just Okay
By Rebecca on 07/13/10 20:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Though not exciting to look at or drive, my Honda does the job. Love the gas mileage - that in and of itself is what makes the car a great buy. Comfort really lacks though. Driver seat is not good for long drives.

Great Car - Best Daily Driver
By Some_Guy on 07/13/10 09:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

58,000 miles on the car, and no problems. None! Change the oil, and I'm averaging 39-40 mpg most of the time. Slight drop in mpg in the winter 36-37 at times in extreme cold. (NY winter) have seen as high as 44 mpg in summer on long trips. Not the hottest car on the road, and it won't win any races. But for an economical to own reliable car. It can't be beat.

Just Traded my Civic In...
By jbchickenhead on 07/12/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 08 LX 5-speed brand new (with 10 miles), and it was a great car through and through. Although it is pretty weak in acceleration, it more than made up for this in gas mileage and reliability. Over the 2 years I owned the car, it was in the shop a total of 0 times! All this while averaging 34-35 mpg throughout the life of the car. A great car, but needs more luxury. I traded up to a fully loaded CR-V, but do occasionally miss the old Civic. Good car to buy, great reliability, great mpg! I traded it in with 50k miles on the ticker and I'm pretty sure another 150k miles would have been equally as trouble free...

Really nice car but
By SingleSock on 07/10/10 19:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had a problems with the transmission almost immediately w/gears sticking. At a light I tried to shift back to 1st and it wouldn't budge. Happened 3x. It stranded me once at a light. Not good. Dealership found nothing but it hasn't happened since. Hmm. Then the stereo and AUX went out. I drove Toyotas for 30 yrs, but after my last one was a dud I switched to Honda and was very happy with my previous Civic. This one... not so much. Doesn't anyone make a truly high quality care anymore like Toyota used to?

Some flaws but I'm buying another one
By Toomanycars on 07/09/10 09:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is above most Detroit built, easier to maintain, and improve. When I first got the car and did a long trip, I hit an amazing MPG of 55. I' haven't hit again: avg city 25-35, highway 35-45. I live where there are a lot of hills and often having a manual is a bad idea but it works great once u get use to it. I've had a tone of chevys, fords, and dodges, I bought a 99 civic and then this one. the 99 feels like a toy compared to the 08. the 08 has more capability and room than all my previous small cars. I don't leave a car as is sense no car is perfect, this is the first car I didn't need to do a single thing to the engine, but I did install a new air intake any ways :) helped with hp.