Used 2008 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Impressed with civic exl
By andrew

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Just purchased a exl civi auto. This is a luxury compact car with room in it. Sweet engine, nice leather seating and most all the bells and whistles. Quiet, sporty, frugal, and good looking. Just loving it. With good gas mileage, an upscale interior, why pay more.

Favorite Features

Instruments, leather, looks, engine, frugal

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything now.

Just bought another Honda!
By m1e1b1s1

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We had planned 3 years ago to purchase a truck when we paid off our Accord, however with gas prices as they are. We were looking at either a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, Honda of course won out! We now own 3 Hondas, our Daughter has a 94 Civic, which still runs GREAT with 170K (she's a teenager), our Accord is great as well..it's only 3 years old :-) I just LOVE my new Civic. It's roomy, amazingly not much smaller than our 2005 Accord, we had thought another Accord, however our teen will be graduating and off to college, leaving my DH, myself and our 8 yo son, so a Civic is big enough. We look forward to many years with our Hondas!

Favorite Features

Dash. I love that I can see my speed without looking down :-) I also love the e-brake being by the shifter...makes more room between the seats.

Suggested Improvements

None yet. It's only been with us 2 weeks :-)

Best Car Yet
By Richie

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Having just traded my 2001 Civic EX for the new 2008 LX I can truthfully say that this car is a comfortable pleasure to drive. Road noise has been reduced as well. The first thing I noticed was the performance over the 2001. It was much livelier and with the 5 speed automatic, the engine runs considerably slower at high speeds and has plenty of passing capability. Fuel economy is great, first tank fill got me 38 mpg 20% city and 80% highway) I commute 50K a year in California so the gas mileage and comfort are a big plus for me. I would highly recommend the Civic for those folks looking for both economy and comfort.

Favorite Features

I love the response from this 1.8 liter engine and the smooth shifting. The civic is quiet and there is plenty of storage for those small items like sun glasses etc. The trunk has ample space and the rear seat folds down for those people who like to carry a lot 'Stuff'

Suggested Improvements

A little more travel for the front seats would be nice. I am 6'-1" but not cramped. Rear of front seat pockets would help too. Other than that, nice job Honda.

Update to earlier review
By Brant

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Now that I have owned the car for a month I wanted to add to my previous review. Swapping out the OEM tires was a must. Whether you have the Goodyears or the Bridgestones, both are poorly rated on Tirerack and other sites. I had Custom Coach in Southington, CT move the drivers seat back a few inches ($350) and this has made the car much more comfortable for my 6'2" frame though the seats are not the best. Gas mileage is terrific at 34 to 37 mostly highway at 70-75 mph. Car is relatively refined and fun to drive for an economy car. No regrets trading in my V6 Accord for this car and that is saying something.

Favorite Features

Mileage, ipod aux port, dash layout, room and refinement (for an economy car).

Suggested Improvements

Tires. My Accord had Michelin Pilots. This car deserves better OEM tires. Driver's seat. I had my friend drive the car and I sat in the passenger seat and was more comfortable. Perhaps it is the arrangement of the clutch/gas pedal/ dead pedal that is really at fault.

New 2008 Honda Civic EX-L With NAV Auto
By Scott

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Honda has really made a great car in all aspects. First, it drives like a champ. There is no noise at high speeds on the highway. Second, the Nav and EM radio is by far the best. However, Honda needs to make the voice recognition better. It sometimes does not execute the right command. We love the EM radio. I don't know how I lived without it for all of these years. The only complaint that I have is when were turned on the Air for the first Time we smelled rotten egg smell. I spoke with Honda and they said that it could be the catalytic converter. And maybe it might be they gas that the dealer put in. I also googled this problem. I found a wealth of information concerning this smell

Favorite Features

The Navigation is outstanding. We also like the illumination and position of the speedometer

Suggested Improvements

Better NAV Hands free voice recognition. Power Seats