2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
The Little Car that Could
By queensonia2001 on 08/27/11 17:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 08 civic straight off the lot in 08. I love my little car, yes I do. I just have a couple of complaints. 1: slow acceleration. Super slow.2:visors keep breaking. on their own! 3: loud inside the car. When i'm on my cell people complain of the noise, and I can't use my speaker phone in the car while i'm driving. Other than those things, I love the gas mileage, love the way the gauges look, and love the fact that it has a better resell value than many other cars with the same year/specs.

Reliable, fast, great handling
By smoothcivic on 08/10/11 13:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased used in 2010 with 8,000km. Now has 43,000km. Feels like it hasn't aged a single bit. No problems, extremely fast on highways and local roads, easy to zip between cars and get thru traffic easily. Independent suspension makes cornering easy. Ride is slightly bumpy, compared to full size sedans. Drove 10 hours straight from Toronto to Queens, averaging 90mph all the way, and the car gave no problems. Was a very fun drive winding along the mountains at high speed. Fuel efficiency decreases substantially at higher speeds. Sad to see others writing poor comments, they must have received the bad apples, because otherwise the car follows the tradition for exceptional quality for me.

Disappointed
By wvm1 on 08/02/11 13:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought a new Civic LX in 2008. Owned 2.5 years and put 28,000 miles on it. Found the position of the headrests too far forward, not allowing me to put my head in a comfortable driving position. The rear suspension chewed up the rear tires by 18,000 miles. At 20,000 miles the air intake meter abruptly died leaving my family and I stranded.The auto transmission from day one shifted roughly from 1st to 2nd gear. And the final straw was discovering 2006 through 2008 Civic engines have been cracking and losing cooling fluid, as early as 40,000 miles. Loved driving this sporty four door, but was unhappy with its unreliability.

Very Solid High MPG Car
By bobbichen on 03/03/11 11:29 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I puchased this unit used, recently in very good condition. ($13k, 44k miles). Hybrids are certainly a different breed of cat. They drive a bit differently, though I like the driving dynamics much better than the Prius. (Brakes seem "grabby" and steering doesn't fit me; HCH has a telescoping and tilt wheel that allows a more aggressive steering position). I find the car to be plenty peppy as to acceleration. Handling and braking are very good in my opinion. Car feels sporty. Hybrid system is a little distracting, and does some odd things (sudden battery "dumps" at times, MPG drops on cold weather). Ride is a bit stiff, bordering on harsh on poor pavement.

2008 Civic MT problems
By mwitt on 12/29/10 13:49 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2008 Civic 5 speed manual for over 2 years now. I have 47,000 miles on it. I am very disappointed. First minor problem: One of my rear tires cupped and had to be replaced. OK, maybe not Honda's fault. Next, drivers side window has a problem. Sometimes it goes up and sometimes it doesn't. Now, a big problem. My clutch is not working. Car jerks and vibrates when shifting into 1st and 2nd gear. The dealer said I need a new cluth at cost of $2000. I've had Honda's before and have loved them for their reliability. I don't think I will be buying one again.

Poor Gas Mileage, poor acceleration.
By ttomaka on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Nicely-designed car but never did better than 40 mpg combined city/highway. I recently received the Honda-directed firmware "update" which has radically altered the hybrid propulsion system. Fuel economy has decreased by 5 mpg, and the car often is incapable of accelerating when you need it. Honda refuses to admit to a problem.

Never again
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been getting good (>43 MG) mileage before the Honda update to my Hybrid in May of 2010. Prior to that update I had reached 47.8 MPG on a 1,022 mile trip from my son's home in GA to my home in Boston. After the May computer update, I never got better than 38 MPG, even on the highway. I've had this thing back to the dealer at least 3 times for crappy gas mileage after the May update. One more thing - the resale value on these things is terrible. The Toyota dealer across the driveway from my Honda dealer offered me $9 grand on a trade-in for this $22,000 Hybrid with less than 34,500 miles and less than 24 months driving. I pick up my new 2010 Prius tomorrow.

MPG Exceeds EPA Range for Highway
By back44 on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Civic EX with the 1.8 liter engine when fuel prices were approaching $4.00 per gallon. We recently averaged 39 mpg over a 2200 mile trip much of it through mountainous terrain. My best mileage was at 45 mpg over a newly paved interstate. The smoothness of the road helps in delivering good mileage. And driving at the posted interstate speed of 70 MPH does not diminish the mpg. The Civic averages about 28 mpg in town.

I'm really liking it!
By dm on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good, bought second hand, very zippy, very comfortable seats, huge windshield. Interior plastic gouges/scratches very very easy, didn't like the rims it came with, has a blind spot on either left or right of the windshield, likely do to the thickness of where they put the side airbags. Overall, I really enjoy this car, wish it had another plug in thing for cell phone/gps etc. Fairly noisy from road noise

engine
By disgrace on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

i purchased a brand new 2008 Honda Civic ex in 2008. At 34,000 miles, my engine blew. Of course Dean Honda tried to fight me on the warranty, but my dad was able to convince them to replace the engine under warranty (like it should be). It is now a month later, but my tire pressure light and the check engine light are both on. I take it in the Dean Honda today and they call to tell me i need a "software update" that is not relevant to the engine so i have to pay. Although the fee is only $24, it is the principle. What sense is a warranty if they don't honor it for anything. Not to mention the month they were rebuilding my engine, they provided no loaner and i wasted 2 hours of my work day up

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.