2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Disappointed
By wvm1 on 08/02/11 13:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought a new Civic LX in 2008. Owned 2.5 years and put 28,000 miles on it. Found the position of the headrests too far forward, not allowing me to put my head in a comfortable driving position. The rear suspension chewed up the rear tires by 18,000 miles. At 20,000 miles the air intake meter abruptly died leaving my family and I stranded.The auto transmission from day one shifted roughly from 1st to 2nd gear. And the final straw was discovering 2006 through 2008 Civic engines have been cracking and losing cooling fluid, as early as 40,000 miles. Loved driving this sporty four door, but was unhappy with its unreliability.

Very Solid High MPG Car
By bobbichen on 03/03/11 11:29 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I puchased this unit used, recently in very good condition. ($13k, 44k miles). Hybrids are certainly a different breed of cat. They drive a bit differently, though I like the driving dynamics much better than the Prius. (Brakes seem "grabby" and steering doesn't fit me; HCH has a telescoping and tilt wheel that allows a more aggressive steering position). I find the car to be plenty peppy as to acceleration. Handling and braking are very good in my opinion. Car feels sporty. Hybrid system is a little distracting, and does some odd things (sudden battery "dumps" at times, MPG drops on cold weather). Ride is a bit stiff, bordering on harsh on poor pavement.

2008 Civic MT problems
By mwitt on 12/29/10 13:49 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2008 Civic 5 speed manual for over 2 years now. I have 47,000 miles on it. I am very disappointed. First minor problem: One of my rear tires cupped and had to be replaced. OK, maybe not Honda's fault. Next, drivers side window has a problem. Sometimes it goes up and sometimes it doesn't. Now, a big problem. My clutch is not working. Car jerks and vibrates when shifting into 1st and 2nd gear. The dealer said I need a new cluth at cost of $2000. I've had Honda's before and have loved them for their reliability. I don't think I will be buying one again.

Never again
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been getting good (>43 MG) mileage before the Honda update to my Hybrid in May of 2010. Prior to that update I had reached 47.8 MPG on a 1,022 mile trip from my son's home in GA to my home in Boston. After the May computer update, I never got better than 38 MPG, even on the highway. I've had this thing back to the dealer at least 3 times for crappy gas mileage after the May update. One more thing - the resale value on these things is terrible. The Toyota dealer across the driveway from my Honda dealer offered me $9 grand on a trade-in for this $22,000 Hybrid with less than 34,500 miles and less than 24 months driving. I pick up my new 2010 Prius tomorrow.

Poor Gas Mileage, poor acceleration.
By ttomaka on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Nicely-designed car but never did better than 40 mpg combined city/highway. I recently received the Honda-directed firmware "update" which has radically altered the hybrid propulsion system. Fuel economy has decreased by 5 mpg, and the car often is incapable of accelerating when you need it. Honda refuses to admit to a problem.

MPG Exceeds EPA Range for Highway
By back44 on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Civic EX with the 1.8 liter engine when fuel prices were approaching $4.00 per gallon. We recently averaged 39 mpg over a 2200 mile trip much of it through mountainous terrain. My best mileage was at 45 mpg over a newly paved interstate. The smoothness of the road helps in delivering good mileage. And driving at the posted interstate speed of 70 MPH does not diminish the mpg. The Civic averages about 28 mpg in town.

I'm really liking it!
By dm on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good, bought second hand, very zippy, very comfortable seats, huge windshield. Interior plastic gouges/scratches very very easy, didn't like the rims it came with, has a blind spot on either left or right of the windshield, likely do to the thickness of where they put the side airbags. Overall, I really enjoy this car, wish it had another plug in thing for cell phone/gps etc. Fairly noisy from road noise

engine
By disgrace on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

i purchased a brand new 2008 Honda Civic ex in 2008. At 34,000 miles, my engine blew. Of course Dean Honda tried to fight me on the warranty, but my dad was able to convince them to replace the engine under warranty (like it should be). It is now a month later, but my tire pressure light and the check engine light are both on. I take it in the Dean Honda today and they call to tell me i need a "software update" that is not relevant to the engine so i have to pay. Although the fee is only $24, it is the principle. What sense is a warranty if they don't honor it for anything. Not to mention the month they were rebuilding my engine, they provided no loaner and i wasted 2 hours of my work day up

Great little sporty car
By Monopoly on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great little all around car. So far I've driven 8000 km. What I love most is the engine and super smooth clutch and transmission. The I-vtec is peppy paired with limited slip diff and summer tires. It loves high rpm reminds me of a sport bike. Car handles very well with little body roll. Makes an excellent commuter car if your looking for something more fun to drive than your typical Civic dx/lx/ex etc. It needs 91oct and I've been averaging 28-29 mpg mostly highway driving somewhat aggressive. The car looks great cosmetically in coupe form compared to other cars in its class. But lacks acceleration to keep up with its competition.

Best car I have ever owned!
By Jake C on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I drive about 20k per year. This car takes my lead-foot abuse and has been such a great car. Drove from Indiana to California and back through ice, wind, sleet, snow, hail, and desert heat. This little car is a trooper. I get about 40 mpg on highway, 30 in city. No problems so far. Car had 11k when purchased in April of 09 and now has 40k. Had to replace the brake pads at 20k which kinda irritated me, but the overall quality of this car makes up for it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.