Used 2008 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 559 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2008 Civic Coupe LX
By kmat1

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for five years now and there are a few complaints. Just like others have stated, the driver's side visor is broken. I've also seen this defect in other 2008 civic coupes. The rear tires are cupped. This happened within a year of owning the car with only 30,000 miles on it. Two years ago, the automatic locks started to work intermittently. Most of the time I have to manually unlock the doors, and reach over to unlock passenger side. The dashboard is digital and the gas gauge works sometimes, but most of the time it's flickering on and off. The A/C works intermittently. When it's very hot outside, it's guaranteed not to work. Lastly, car vibrates in reverse & park.

A Good College Car
By andrew_kaber08

2008 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My 2008 Civic Si Coupe was a great car; but it was just a college car. It was fast, quick on its feet, had an amazing audio system, and popular with the teenage and young-twenties crowd, but it always felt unrefined. The engine provides a surprising bit of power, but only high in the rpm's, and had no down-low power. Driving it in stop-and-go traffic was a chore due to very low torque, but once you got in the 6,000 to 8,000 rpm range, it FLEW. This car is an amazing college vehicle, especially with the standard sunroof and subwoofer, but it's just unrefined. Lots of wind noise, road bumps, and interior quality hiccups (such as a ticking CD-player) prevent it from being a "professional" car.

Amazing handling, rev-happy engine, standard subwoofer and sunroof, great power-to-weight ratio, probably the most fun to drive out of any car I have ever owned.

More torque, more focus on interior quality, more sound deadening (reduce road noise), improve fuel economy (it only gets about 23mpg on premium-required fuel)

I love it ! buy one but understand this technology first.
By fyler

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The build quality is awesome, interiors look kinda luxury especially with the blue cloth color, I like the futuristic dashboard.The only thing I don't like is the location of the gas pedal (its like coming off the floor). A very dependable car.People who complaint about the MPG, they need to understand how to drive a hybrid car first, cruise before red lights, drive on 55-65 speed, don't floor the gas pedal etc.
I am at 80K miles and the IMA battery is working properly (this is my second Hybrid and I never got any IMA issues). People need to understand that the IMA technology has been matured enough that they don't need to get scared from the IMA because they are cheap to replace now.

Blue interiors, graphite exterior, dashboard, spacious backseat, it handles pretty good for a 1.3 L engine.

Moonroof, different alloy wheels, emergency brake different location, gas pedal location.

The Best car you could ever have if you needed one made in 2008
By hiker323

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I want to write this with tears because this is the most reliable car that I have owned and yesterday I found out that it will be
loss. A week ago my car was sandwiched between two other vehicles. It provided the best protection one could ask for. My back is gone and my front is damaged, but I have remained completely safe.

If you choose this car it is reliable, safe and will protect you well.

*though my car is gone, I want you to know how safe this car is & that it will protect you.

I feel safe, it drives very smooth and quite, I can plug in my mp3 player and gps. The radio system words well.

The only 2 things to keep in mind is if you are someone who lives in the heat or near mountains. The AC works. It's just not Arizona strong. The car accelerates. However, you just need to know how to down shift correctly. This car has been a blessing especially since she protected me. I just wish it would be fixable so I could take her back home.

104k miles, 4 years later....
By por944t

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have just rolled over to 104k. This was a certified pre-owned 20k car from the dealership when I purchased it 4 years ago. Overall, this car has been reliable, affordable, and relatively roomy.
I've averaged 29-30mpg in the city/35 highway. This car is my daily driver. Longest drive was 16 hours one way (at 90k) and no problems.
Next service appointment is for the water pump/belt- hopefully this goes smoothly.

I love the interior design, roomy, rear seats lay flat (headrests removed), huge trunk, flat floor across rear seat, peppy to drive, excellent gas mileage, fully adjustable front seat (great for shorties), seats four adults comfortably (lots of compliments), plenty of headspace, great efficient headlights, AC/heat work quickly, radio is decent... cannot say enough good things about this vehicle. 104k and still enjoy driving this car.

Other then the normal wear and tear items (oil changes, air filter changes, brakes/tires at 80K, wipers etc), the only "issue" I have had is with the driver sunvisor joint melting (dealer replaced free of charge). Gears have an awkward layout- only noticeable when going over large hills. Larger turn radius for a sedan and surprisingly large blind spots around vehicle.