Used 2008 Honda Civic EX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Over the Hill
By ukyagr

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The first year of ownership was great, but it has since been in steady decline. I bought this car based off of reputation, but unfortunately it will soon have to go. No longer can Honda claim reliability and high build quality with this vehicle. Problems include failing door locks, window motors, visors, blower fan electrical components, and A/C compressor failure. Honda has mailed extended warranties on paint and visors already. I expect eventual class action or warranty extension on the AC/blower issues - very common on this model. My dealer does not even charge me diagnostic fees on the AC or fan anymore. The car was babied and often garaged. All of these problems with only 62,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Digital Dashboard, FM Tuning Wheel (as opposed to rocker switch), Solid Transmission, Comfortable Seats

Suggested Improvements

Improve electrical components and systems. Improve reliability. Many components, switches, knobs, and finishings are excessively budget and cheap.

Good car for the money
By Roger

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car with 24 miles on it. It's been a good car. You're not going to blow anyone away off the line with the 1.8L engine, but you will get great gas mileage. I average around 39 mpg year round. Higher in the summer, lower in the winter. Nothing has broken yet, but it shouldn't on a three year old car. I do my own tires, own oil changes, and own repairs. The car is well designed and seems to be well built. I do have some issues with the paint. Honda did a poor job painting the car and I noticed several areas where there's some blob under the clear coat. Like dirt or dust got on the car.

Favorite Features

Well designed interior. 60/40 fold down seats are great.

Suggested Improvements

Why doesn't anyone have a face / defrost setting on cars? NOBODY has this. I want that.

Love this car
By Dave

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had the heated seat feature installed without the leather - great idea. I also worked the rear view mirror with glare repellent and direction in the deal as well - great idea too. With tinted windows and the rear wing, I find this car every bit as classy as models 3 times the cost. High end tires have helped tremendously - Honda sells them new with a really bad tire.

Favorite Features

I love the millage - 36 in city 40 on hi-way consistently, love the dash, the aux option for my IPod and stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Better tire off the lot.

Honda Civic Problems
By Mo

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I downsized from a '06 Audi A4 to a Civic. This car has been nothing but problems. When I bought the car, part of the bumper was scratched and the dealer fixed it. Then my struts were making a creaking noises within weeks of buying the car, the dealer replaced the struts. I complained a couple of times about the air smelling horrible when the A/C was on and they couldn't fix it (they couldn't smell it). The car started to make a ticking noise within the past week and took it into a dealer close to my work. With 31k on the car, the dealer is telling me that I have burned out the clutch and I have to pay $500 for a new clutch! This is a junk car and would not recommend this car.

Great Car - In Most Situations
By BigJon

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm writing this review to call out one design problem with the Civic. On a long trip the front seats are downright painful. We took a 600 mile trip at Thanksgiving, my wife (5'6") drove down and I (6'1") drove back and we both developed a pain which lasted for about 24 hours afterward. We tried multiple driving positions but to no avail. It was bad enough that we'll never use that car on a long trip again. We got just under 35 miles to the gallon going 80 mph and fully loaded, which was great, but again - if I had purchased this car for a lot of long haul driving I'd already be looking for a replacement. Mileage around town has been disappointing - about 25 mpg.

Favorite Features

Driver controls, very nice layout.

Suggested Improvements

Got to do something about the geometry of the drivers position or change the front seats???