2008 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great Car - Best Daily Driver
By Some_Guy on 07/13/10 09:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

58,000 miles on the car, and no problems. None! Change the oil, and I'm averaging 39-40 mpg most of the time. Slight drop in mpg in the winter 36-37 at times in extreme cold. (NY winter) have seen as high as 44 mpg in summer on long trips. Not the hottest car on the road, and it won't win any races. But for an economical to own reliable car. It can't be beat.

Just Traded my Civic In...
By jbchickenhead on 07/12/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 08 LX 5-speed brand new (with 10 miles), and it was a great car through and through. Although it is pretty weak in acceleration, it more than made up for this in gas mileage and reliability. Over the 2 years I owned the car, it was in the shop a total of 0 times! All this while averaging 34-35 mpg throughout the life of the car. A great car, but needs more luxury. I traded up to a fully loaded CR-V, but do occasionally miss the old Civic. Good car to buy, great reliability, great mpg! I traded it in with 50k miles on the ticker and I'm pretty sure another 150k miles would have been equally as trouble free...

Some flaws but I'm buying another one
By Toomanycars on 07/09/10 09:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is above most Detroit built, easier to maintain, and improve. When I first got the car and did a long trip, I hit an amazing MPG of 55. I' haven't hit again: avg city 25-35, highway 35-45. I live where there are a lot of hills and often having a manual is a bad idea but it works great once u get use to it. I've had a tone of chevys, fords, and dodges, I bought a 99 civic and then this one. the 99 feels like a toy compared to the 08. the 08 has more capability and room than all my previous small cars. I don't leave a car as is sense no car is perfect, this is the first car I didn't need to do a single thing to the engine, but I did install a new air intake any ways :) helped with hp.

Nothing to write home about
By Markl on 04/29/10 16:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third civic and I don't think it stands up with the others. The clutch/accelerator syncro makes it unstable to pull out on hills and the car has not had even acceleration since the day I bought it. I keep hoping that maybe it will get better.

Good Car
By SMART GUY on 03/26/10 18:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2008 LX new in Aug 07. has 45,000 miles on it and all I've done is oil changes, 2 air filters, and 1 trans fluid change. Tires will probably need to be replaced at 50k for the first time. I've absolutely no problems with the car at all! Only knocks is the speakers rattle the door panels easily even when volume is fairly low and I can't believe this little car cost over 17k new. This car should be no more than 15k. Other than that minor issue I have nothing but praise for this car. My overall MPG for combined city/highway driving is 34 MPG. I do have the manual trans.

Good car, Good price
By b13 on 11/01/09 22:14 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, owned since new. Low cost of ownership; I have not spent any money other than for oil changes (20k on car). The cockpit design is great, more storage space than needed. Fuel mileage is a steady 29-30mpg, 40mpg is attainable on the highway. Very stable in corners. The stock tires (Bridgestone) do not last very long. Replacements with a higher tread wear should be purchased. The A-pillar blocks a greater portion of your viewable area, more so than a standard A- pillar. This can be dangerous in areas of high foot traffic. Acceleration in the lower RPM's can cause cringing. However, above 4.5k the car has plenty of power for acceleration. Road noise is pronounced.

Too many compromises
By Shawn on 10/19/09 20:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After only 65,000 KM and 1 year, I traded this car in for a Corolla. First vehicle I have owned and not put more than 200,000 KM on. This vehicle, is poorly made. The rattles after only 15K are unacceptable, and everything is breaking. The throw out bearing went out at 40,000 KM along with the 4 disk breaks. The passenger window fell off the track 3 times. The fuel economy of my corolla in the real world is much better, 36 vs 42 MPG mixed driving even thought the civic is rated higher. There is so little low end torque, it is hard to drive efficiently. Also at 110 KM/H the car revs at 3K RPM in 5th. I really expected more! The car is very weak (poor starting/shifting) in cold weather.

Battery problems
By Fern on 06/25/09 05:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have been having battery problems. During the winter had problems driving car. Dealership said not using the car a lot and going on short trips would probably do it. At stop lights the car cuts out - I thought it was just me but anyone who has driven the car said the same thing. Drove to New Glasgow 200 km trip - When heading back car wouldn't start - had to call roadside assistance - which I must say are excellent. I have Sirius Satellite in my car - they said that it is a serious drainage on my battery using it. I contacted Sirius on this and they have never heard of this being a problem. My boss has his plugged in all the time and never had a problem.

Fun car, but...
By Robert on 05/15/09 17:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Not exactly the low-cost of ownership vehicle advertised. I just had to replace brake pads @ 9,900 miles to the tune of $270 out of pocket. I've owned many new cars in my lifetime and never replaced pads under 10k miles. This was a disappointing experience, so I have written a letter to American Honda. There are other similar complaint visible on the web. Honda needs to make improvements to the brake pad materials. Other than this, the car is comfortable, fun to drive and fuel efficient.

Will Never Go Back
By HondaOwner on 05/13/09 12:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2008 Honda Civic for a year now and I will never go back to any other brand of car. It looks great, it's comfortable, it's reliable, it's cost efficient and very fun to drive (especially if you're in a hurry...but please drive safely)!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Honda Civic Sedan in NJ is:

$192 per month*