2008 Honda Civic Sedan 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

LX Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Dead Reliable, just not an enthusasts car
By 68oramac1 on 02/13/15 13:14 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 LX in June of 2012 with just under 92,000 miles on the clock. Now, it has 134,000 miles and is still going strong. I have had only minor issues with the Civic overall eg. visors and clutch master cylinder. The car is very spacious compared to others in the class, which was helpful being 6'2". The only exception is the placement of the e-brake being where you rest your leg, which you get used to rather quickly. I hardly ever drop below 30mpg even in mixed driving. But it does come at a cost, below 4000 rpm, you are lucky to have as much torque as a mid 80's Mazda Rotary engine at idle! The lack of torque can make it a chore to drive around town/city.

The Best car you could ever have if you needed one made in 2008
By hiker323 on 08/19/14 12:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I want to write this with tears because this is the most reliable car that I have owned and yesterday I found out that it will be loss. A week ago my car was sandwiched between two other vehicles. It provided the best protection one could ask for. My back is gone and my front is damaged, but I have remained completely safe. If you choose this car it is reliable, safe and will protect you well. *though my car is gone, I want you to know how safe this car is & that it will protect you.

Great Car - Best Daily Driver
By Some_Guy on 07/13/10 09:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

58,000 miles on the car, and no problems. None! Change the oil, and I'm averaging 39-40 mpg most of the time. Slight drop in mpg in the winter 36-37 at times in extreme cold. (NY winter) have seen as high as 44 mpg in summer on long trips. Not the hottest car on the road, and it won't win any races. But for an economical to own reliable car. It can't be beat.

Just Traded my Civic In...
By jbchickenhead on 07/12/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 08 LX 5-speed brand new (with 10 miles), and it was a great car through and through. Although it is pretty weak in acceleration, it more than made up for this in gas mileage and reliability. Over the 2 years I owned the car, it was in the shop a total of 0 times! All this while averaging 34-35 mpg throughout the life of the car. A great car, but needs more luxury. I traded up to a fully loaded CR-V, but do occasionally miss the old Civic. Good car to buy, great reliability, great mpg! I traded it in with 50k miles on the ticker and I'm pretty sure another 150k miles would have been equally as trouble free...

Some flaws but I'm buying another one
By Toomanycars on 07/09/10 09:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is above most Detroit built, easier to maintain, and improve. When I first got the car and did a long trip, I hit an amazing MPG of 55. I' haven't hit again: avg city 25-35, highway 35-45. I live where there are a lot of hills and often having a manual is a bad idea but it works great once u get use to it. I've had a tone of chevys, fords, and dodges, I bought a 99 civic and then this one. the 99 feels like a toy compared to the 08. the 08 has more capability and room than all my previous small cars. I don't leave a car as is sense no car is perfect, this is the first car I didn't need to do a single thing to the engine, but I did install a new air intake any ways :) helped with hp.

Nothing to write home about
By Markl on 04/29/10 16:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third civic and I don't think it stands up with the others. The clutch/accelerator syncro makes it unstable to pull out on hills and the car has not had even acceleration since the day I bought it. I keep hoping that maybe it will get better.

Good Car
By SMART GUY on 03/26/10 18:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2008 LX new in Aug 07. has 45,000 miles on it and all I've done is oil changes, 2 air filters, and 1 trans fluid change. Tires will probably need to be replaced at 50k for the first time. I've absolutely no problems with the car at all! Only knocks is the speakers rattle the door panels easily even when volume is fairly low and I can't believe this little car cost over 17k new. This car should be no more than 15k. Other than that minor issue I have nothing but praise for this car. My overall MPG for combined city/highway driving is 34 MPG. I do have the manual trans.

Good car, Good price
By b13 on 11/01/09 22:14 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, owned since new. Low cost of ownership; I have not spent any money other than for oil changes (20k on car). The cockpit design is great, more storage space than needed. Fuel mileage is a steady 29-30mpg, 40mpg is attainable on the highway. Very stable in corners. The stock tires (Bridgestone) do not last very long. Replacements with a higher tread wear should be purchased. The A-pillar blocks a greater portion of your viewable area, more so than a standard A- pillar. This can be dangerous in areas of high foot traffic. Acceleration in the lower RPM's can cause cringing. However, above 4.5k the car has plenty of power for acceleration. Road noise is pronounced.

Too many compromises
By Shawn on 10/19/09 20:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After only 65,000 KM and 1 year, I traded this car in for a Corolla. First vehicle I have owned and not put more than 200,000 KM on. This vehicle, is poorly made. The rattles after only 15K are unacceptable, and everything is breaking. The throw out bearing went out at 40,000 KM along with the 4 disk breaks. The passenger window fell off the track 3 times. The fuel economy of my corolla in the real world is much better, 36 vs 42 MPG mixed driving even thought the civic is rated higher. There is so little low end torque, it is hard to drive efficiently. Also at 110 KM/H the car revs at 3K RPM in 5th. I really expected more! The car is very weak (poor starting/shifting) in cold weather.

Battery problems
By Fern on 06/25/09 05:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have been having battery problems. During the winter had problems driving car. Dealership said not using the car a lot and going on short trips would probably do it. At stop lights the car cuts out - I thought it was just me but anyone who has driven the car said the same thing. Drove to New Glasgow 200 km trip - When heading back car wouldn't start - had to call roadside assistance - which I must say are excellent. I have Sirius Satellite in my car - they said that it is a serious drainage on my battery using it. I contacted Sirius on this and they have never heard of this being a problem. My boss has his plugged in all the time and never had a problem.