Used 2008 Honda Civic DX Sedan Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Just bought a 2008 Civic LX
By BllG

2008 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used Civic last week for my daughter. Got a good deal at 113000 miles and wanted to post for others that might be lookng at this car to let you know how it has held up.

Body was in great shape - a few minor dings and what not but no paint chipping, fade, or peeling. No rust. Interior, which has been critized, has held up well. No scratches or anything detracting from the interior. Cruise control, A/C, displays, radio, etc., all working with no issues. Also, I'm 6'2" and have zero issues sitting in the front seats...back seats might be an issue but driving it I'm very comfortable.

Engine still runs strong, no leaks, and the transmission shifts very smoothly even under full acceleration onto the interstate. Plus, these vehicles have a timing chain vice belt, so you don't have to concern yourself with the inevitable 100,000 mile, $1000, timing belt replacement. Power steering works great with no noise from the power steering pump. Car tracks straight and true down the road and handlng is solid. You definitely feel the bumps in the road but this isn't a luxury car with the associated suspension. Engine does vibrate and you can feel it sitting at a stop light esp with the A/C on. But, again, it's a 4 cyl and it isn't really distracting.

Road noise is definitely there on the highway but I don't sense there are any leaks through the weather stripping...it's just an economy car.

Couple of issues that are to be expected with this car's history. The passenger side visor had failed...a quick fix through Amazon at $50. Also, the starter, no kidding, quit the same day we bought it. Don't naively send your wife off to the store to get the battery replaced because the car won't start without a jump...you'll wind up replacing a perfectly good battery when its really the starter. I've always done minor maintenance like this on my vehicles but after seeing what was involved (starter placed above the front axle and exhaust) I took it to a shop to get replaced. Getting lazy in my old age. Also, and this is unique to my car I'm sure, what I thought might be a simple alignment to fix an off-center steering wheel resulted in the removal and adjustment of the steering column...all told, about $450 to get everything fixed. Driver's side power steering boot is leaking and there is a minor rattling, knocking sound when we turn all the way to the right...will probably have to replace that sometime but not today. Flushed the power steering fluid...helped somewhat but not totally.

So, am I pleased with the car? Yes...with a whole week with my daughter driving it. But the engine works well, transmission shifts very well, the A/C and everything else is holding up well (knock on wood). Believe it will be a good car for my daughter as she finishes H.S. and moves onto college.

So, if you are wondering about this car with over 7 years on it, I think its held up very well. Definitely one to check out for a new driver.

Really nice car but
By SingleSock

2008 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had a problems with the transmission almost immediately w/gears sticking. At a light I tried to shift back to 1st and it wouldn't budge. Happened 3x. It stranded me once at a light. Not good. Dealership found nothing but it hasn't happened since. Hmm. Then the stereo and AUX went out. I drove Toyotas for 30 yrs, but after my last one was a dud I switched to Honda and was very happy with my previous Civic. This one... not so much. Doesn't anyone make a truly high quality care anymore like Toyota used to?

The dash and interior set up are very attractive. Handles well and is fun to drive.

Quality control guys!! Duh.

Perfect everyday car
By mrl

2008 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Borrowing Bill Belichick's favorite phrase 'it is what it is'. And what it is is an superb getting around town, going to work, day trip kink of car. And given the tremendous gas mileage, I wouldn't even mind taking it cross country. I average 40 mpg on the highway with my standard transmission! Comfortwise, it is a lot bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside. Very comfortable front seats, good leg room in the back for a smaller car. If performance is paramount for you the Mazda 3 may be a better choice, otherwise this is the car you want.

honda LEMON
By sar

2008 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2008 civic is a lemon. the brakes have failed 2 times. there is excessive high/low amounts of oxygen in the car-found on testing-for which I do not yet know the source. Bottom line, driving it results in headaches, confusion, dizziness, and nausea. it can not be driven. the driver's door lock is broken. the power windows have malfunctioned. The car does not start in cold weather. The car bucks when changing gears. If you breathe on the car, it scratches. NEVER BUY HONDA. Honda Canada is a nightmare. To date, nothing had been done to serve me. 10 months, no car.

none

Great car
By Chris

2008 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It handles like a 5-series BMW, but gets twice the gas mileage. The steering is very quick- something new this year is that the steering is only 2.6 turns lock to lock, so it is very sensitive especially at highway speeds.

Handles like a bmw.