Used 2008 Honda Civic LX Sedan Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Dead Reliable, just not an enthusasts car
By 68oramac1

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 LX in June of 2012 with just under 92,000 miles on the clock. Now, it has 134,000 miles and is still going strong. I have had only minor issues with the Civic overall eg. visors and clutch master cylinder. The car is very spacious compared to others in the class, which was helpful being 6'2". The only exception is the placement of the e-brake being where you rest your leg, which you get used to rather quickly.
I hardly ever drop below 30mpg even in mixed driving. But it does come at a cost, below 4000 rpm, you are lucky to have as much torque as a mid 80's Mazda Rotary engine at idle! The lack of torque can make it a chore to drive around town/city.

Overall, the Civic is a solid dead reliable economy car that will save you a bit of money at the pump. Compared to its competitors, Honda has maintained their status as very quality driven and did I mention reliable? But, for the enthusiast looking for the most fun driving experience in an economy car, I would look elsewhere. (Mazda 3) Test drove a Mazda3, Scion TC, and Civic Si at the time of purchase. On a side note, the Si has V6 power above 5000 RPM and handles like a go kart, along no torque below that, it is not worth the money up front or on insurance. Still a decent all around car.

Right after buying the car I had to fix the driver side visor, since it was separating as others have noted. Word of advice, look up how to repair them on Youtube for next to nothing. Other than that and normal maintenance, had to replace the clutch master cylinder and slave (which felt like crap early on). The factory clutch master's only have a plastic piston riding in an aluminum bore, which is why they crap out so easily. Replacing the factory system with a EM1 (2000 Civic Si clutch master) and integrating a stainless line will solve the problem. Similar to alot of modern drive by wire cars, the throttle response can be measured with a sundial.

The Best car you could ever have if you needed one made in 2008
By hiker323

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I want to write this with tears because this is the most reliable car that I have owned and yesterday I found out that it will be
loss. A week ago my car was sandwiched between two other vehicles. It provided the best protection one could ask for. My back is gone and my front is damaged, but I have remained completely safe.

If you choose this car it is reliable, safe and will protect you well.

*though my car is gone, I want you to know how safe this car is & that it will protect you.

I feel safe, it drives very smooth and quite, I can plug in my mp3 player and gps. The radio system words well.

The only 2 things to keep in mind is if you are someone who lives in the heat or near mountains. The AC works. It's just not Arizona strong. The car accelerates. However, you just need to know how to down shift correctly. This car has been a blessing especially since she protected me. I just wish it would be fixable so I could take her back home.

Great Car - Best Daily Driver
By Some_Guy

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

58,000 miles on the car, and no problems. None! Change the oil, and I'm averaging 39-40 mpg most of the time. Slight drop in mpg in the winter 36-37 at times in extreme cold. (NY winter) have seen as high as 44 mpg in summer on long trips. Not the hottest car on the road, and it won't win any races. But for an economical to own reliable car. It can't be beat.

Dash - I love the dash, and instrument panel.

Stock OEM times aren't that great in the snow. (I ran snow tires.)

Just Traded my Civic In...
By jbchickenhead

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 08 LX 5-speed brand new (with 10 miles), and it was a great car through and through. Although it is pretty weak in acceleration, it more than made up for this in gas mileage and reliability. Over the 2 years I owned the car, it was in the shop a total of 0 times! All this while averaging 34-35 mpg throughout the life of the car. A great car, but needs more luxury. I traded up to a fully loaded CR-V, but do occasionally miss the old Civic. Good car to buy, great reliability, great mpg! I traded it in with 50k miles on the ticker and I'm pretty sure another 150k miles would have been equally as trouble free...

MPG, TPMS, Smooth clutch, reliabilities

more comfort, a bit more acceleration, navi option on the LX, get rid of the annoying beep if you forget to put your belt on

Some flaws but I'm buying another one
By Toomanycars

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is above most Detroit built, easier to maintain, and improve. When I first got the car and did a long trip, I hit an amazing MPG of 55. I' haven't hit again: avg city 25-35, highway 35-45. I live where there are a lot of hills and often having a manual is a bad idea but it works great once u get use to it. I've had a tone of chevys, fords, and dodges, I bought a 99 civic and then this one. the 99 feels like a toy compared to the 08. the 08 has more capability and room than all my previous small cars. I don't leave a car as is sense no car is perfect, this is the first car I didn't need to do a single thing to the engine, but I did install a new air intake any ways :) helped with hp.

The engine.the amount of room in the car is above so many. nothing major in the car is plastic, I hated this in the domestics.The design of the interior is great, less plastic would be nice; that s the next thing I'll be doing.Here's to the 50th car I've owned; It is a keeper, it will be a classic.

Ground Clearance, standard seats are rough on long drives. The city mpg is lower than other cars in it's class. They didn't put the door seal on right. I went through the car once I got it and improved: tires, sway bar, air intake, brakes, and seats. I even added some foam to reduce road noise.