2008 Honda Civic DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2008 Civic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Sort Reviews by

Dead Reliable, just not an enthusasts car
By 68oramac1

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 LX in June of 2012 with just under 92,000 miles on the clock. Now, it has 134,000 miles and is still going strong. I have had only minor issues with the Civic overall eg. visors and clutch master cylinder. The car is very spacious compared to others in the class, which was helpful being 6'2". The only exception is the placement of the e-brake being where you rest your leg, which you get used to rather quickly. I hardly ever drop below 30mpg even in mixed driving. But it does come at a cost, below 4000 rpm, you are lucky to have as much torque as a mid 80's Mazda Rotary engine at idle! The lack of torque can make it a chore to drive around town/city.

Favorite Features

Overall, the Civic is a solid dead reliable economy car that will save you a bit of money at the pump. Compared to its competitors, Honda has maintained their status as very quality driven and did I mention reliable? But, for the enthusiast looking for the most fun driving experience in an economy car, I would look elsewhere. (Mazda 3) Test drove a Mazda3, Scion TC, and Civic Si at the time of purchase. On a side note, the Si has V6 power above 5000 RPM and handles like a go kart, along no torque below that, it is not worth the money up front or on insurance. Still a decent all around car.

Suggested Improvements

Right after buying the car I had to fix the driver side visor, since it was separating as others have noted. Word of advice, look up how to repair them on Youtube for next to nothing. Other than that and normal maintenance, had to replace the clutch master cylinder and slave (which felt like crap early on). The factory clutch master's only have a plastic piston riding in an aluminum bore, which is why they crap out so easily. Replacing the factory system with a EM1 (2000 Civic Si clutch master) and integrating a stainless line will solve the problem. Similar to alot of modern drive by wire cars, the throttle response can be measured with a sundial.

The Best car you could ever have if you needed one made in 2008
By hiker323

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I want to write this with tears because this is the most reliable car that I have owned and yesterday I found out that it will be loss. A week ago my car was sandwiched between two other vehicles. It provided the best protection one could ask for. My back is gone and my front is damaged, but I have remained completely safe. If you choose this car it is reliable, safe and will protect you well. *though my car is gone, I want you to know how safe this car is & that it will protect you.

Favorite Features

I feel safe, it drives very smooth and quite, I can plug in my mp3 player and gps. The radio system words well.

Suggested Improvements

The only 2 things to keep in mind is if you are someone who lives in the heat or near mountains. The AC works. It's just not Arizona strong. The car accelerates. However, you just need to know how to down shift correctly. This car has been a blessing especially since she protected me. I just wish it would be fixable so I could take her back home.

104k miles, 4 years later....
By por944t

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have just rolled over to 104k. This was a certified pre-owned 20k car from the dealership when I purchased it 4 years ago. Overall, this car has been reliable, affordable, and relatively roomy. I've averaged 29-30mpg in the city/35 highway. This car is my daily driver. Longest drive was 16 hours one way (at 90k) and no problems. Next service appointment is for the water pump/belt- hopefully this goes smoothly.

Favorite Features

I love the interior design, roomy, rear seats lay flat (headrests removed), huge trunk, flat floor across rear seat, peppy to drive, excellent gas mileage, fully adjustable front seat (great for shorties), seats four adults comfortably (lots of compliments), plenty of headspace, great efficient headlights, AC/heat work quickly, radio is decent... cannot say enough good things about this vehicle. 104k and still enjoy driving this car.

Suggested Improvements

Other then the normal wear and tear items (oil changes, air filter changes, brakes/tires at 80K, wipers etc), the only "issue" I have had is with the driver sunvisor joint melting (dealer replaced free of charge). Gears have an awkward layout- only noticeable when going over large hills. Larger turn radius for a sedan and surprisingly large blind spots around vehicle.

Over the Hill
By ukyagr

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The first year of ownership was great, but it has since been in steady decline. I bought this car based off of reputation, but unfortunately it will soon have to go. No longer can Honda claim reliability and high build quality with this vehicle. Problems include failing door locks, window motors, visors, blower fan electrical components, and A/C compressor failure. Honda has mailed extended warranties on paint and visors already. I expect eventual class action or warranty extension on the AC/blower issues - very common on this model. My dealer does not even charge me diagnostic fees on the AC or fan anymore. The car was babied and often garaged. All of these problems with only 62,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Digital Dashboard, FM Tuning Wheel (as opposed to rocker switch), Solid Transmission, Comfortable Seats

Suggested Improvements

Improve electrical components and systems. Improve reliability. Many components, switches, knobs, and finishings are excessively budget and cheap.

Disappointed by this model
By lafreewarian

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned Hondas for over 25 years. While the gas mileage of my 2008 Civic is good, the interior noise is irritating, the headrest not in a comfortable position, and after 22,000 miles I had to purchase 4 new tires. The passenger side automatic door lock stopped working and had to be replaced. As of 2012 the car has only 28,000 miles. My last Honda, a 1990 Acura Legend, was a great car and is still going strong. Never any problems with interior and few with engine. I won't buy a Civic again.

Econ class do it urself car
By jmarloe

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought mine in early 2008 for 18.5 at 5%. It now has 98k miles on it, has been used for driving around the bay area in Cali for a job, multi trips from Cali to TX, and for the last 3 yrs I've used it for pizza delivery in TX. Some repairs I have done myself are replacing both cv axels at 70k for $160, tires at 55k miles with good-yrs $540, the starter at 90k for $132. I am by no means a mechanic I bought some basic tools, spent a few hrs researching and as you can see from other reviews I saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars doing it myself. This car has been through a lot but still runs like new and feels as though it will for another 98k.

Favorite Features

Consistently good mileage 28-30 city 36-40 hwy. Low priced car as for mentioned bought new for 18,500 automatic with ac. Doing the repairs myself I have found that all of the original parts I have replaced were manufactured in the USA, and I think it is cool that Honda gave our country the jobs that made the car that I drive. Inexpensive aftermarket parts for repairs and most repairs really were not that difficult to figure out. Reliability. Prob the most Eco friendly of any gas powered car.

Suggested Improvements

Hard seats, cheap material used for interior upholstery, the original carpets started molding and had to be thrown out id rather just have metal floors, original sun visors broke because the socket for the hinges were made out of thin plastic but replaced for free under the 100k warranty and new ones seem sturdy, unless you buy highest quite rating tires it is pretty loud while driving luckily they tend to be mid price ranged and high mileage, windshield wipers look cool but are pretty ridiculous to figure out for replacement, the starter is kinda in a tight spot for no particular reason haha it was fun, I wish Honda would include a do it yourself repair book.

troublesome
By charley33

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have this civic since new. Its got 60k miles. During that time I have the cv joint replace 5 times and battery replaced once under warranty. I had the starter replaced once at 40k miles for $500 and engine mount replaced once at 59k miles for $300. Now I think my civic has a suspension problem. I wonder if honda quality have declined or my dealership (northwest honda, MD) is incompetent and causing problems.

Favorite Features

The best thing about my civic is its looks and its driving dynamics. well until now with its suspension problem.

Sorry Guys but I guess I bought a Lemon
By same_ole_ford

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

First the maintenance Rear tires have prematurely worn out twice due to a faulty alignment set up from Honda which they had refused to own up to even though they published a service bulletin about the problem. Left front drive shaft failed 42,000 miles replaced both rear wheel bearings at 65,000 miles now the rear shocks are leaking fluid and must be replaced as well. Also there is a Service bulletin about the engine block cracking and leaking antifreeze, which translates into a half done engine rebuild as Honda will not replace the whole engine. Everyone here talks about 70 MPH = 40+ MPG I drive mine 55 to 60 mph on the interstate the best ever is 34MPG. 1st and last Honda anything I buy

Favorite Features

Not the reliability

Suggested Improvements

A car is the sum of its parts - Honda is failing to find decent parts for their American Built cars.

Mileage Drop After Tire Change
By pamski

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased a used 2008 Civic. Now at 37,000 miles I had the tires replaced. I'm sure these were not the original tires, but I bought it from a dealer that does that sort of thing. Anyway, the day the tires were replaced my mileage went from 40 on the Hwy to barely 30 on the Hwy. Why is this? Not cheap tires, and they were to proper size according to the Civic Manual. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reliable, fast, great handling
By smoothcivic

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased used in 2010 with 8,000km. Now has 43,000km. Feels like it hasn't aged a single bit. No problems, extremely fast on highways and local roads, easy to zip between cars and get thru traffic easily. Independent suspension makes cornering easy. Ride is slightly bumpy, compared to full size sedans. Drove 10 hours straight from Toronto to Queens, averaging 90mph all the way, and the car gave no problems. Was a very fun drive winding along the mountains at high speed. Fuel efficiency decreases substantially at higher speeds. Sad to see others writing poor comments, they must have received the bad apples, because otherwise the car follows the tradition for exceptional quality for me.

Favorite Features

Very fast acceleration from standstill, independent suspension allows for effortless cornering without slowing down, reliability is SOLID even with all the beating I put thru it, spacious interior for its class, trunk space sufficient for multiple passengers in long journeys.

Suggested Improvements

Stock speakers are absolutely crap. Barely any bass in high volume. Ride is slightly bumpy, but bearable. The stiff suspension allows for the great handling and cornering, but you feel the road more than bigger sedans. I feel the automatic transmission slightly slipping when I slow down then quickly accelerating again, but dealership can't find anything wrong. So I'll wait to see if it gets worse, and fix it within warranty if necessary.