Used 2008 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 269 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Just bought a 2008 Civic LX
By BllG

2008 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used Civic last week for my daughter. Got a good deal at 113000 miles and wanted to post for others that might be lookng at this car to let you know how it has held up.

Body was in great shape - a few minor dings and what not but no paint chipping, fade, or peeling. No rust. Interior, which has been critized, has held up well. No scratches or anything detracting from the interior. Cruise control, A/C, displays, radio, etc., all working with no issues. Also, I'm 6'2" and have zero issues sitting in the front seats...back seats might be an issue but driving it I'm very comfortable.

Engine still runs strong, no leaks, and the transmission shifts very smoothly even under full acceleration onto the interstate. Plus, these vehicles have a timing chain vice belt, so you don't have to concern yourself with the inevitable 100,000 mile, $1000, timing belt replacement. Power steering works great with no noise from the power steering pump. Car tracks straight and true down the road and handlng is solid. You definitely feel the bumps in the road but this isn't a luxury car with the associated suspension. Engine does vibrate and you can feel it sitting at a stop light esp with the A/C on. But, again, it's a 4 cyl and it isn't really distracting.

Road noise is definitely there on the highway but I don't sense there are any leaks through the weather stripping...it's just an economy car.

Couple of issues that are to be expected with this car's history. The passenger side visor had failed...a quick fix through Amazon at $50. Also, the starter, no kidding, quit the same day we bought it. Don't naively send your wife off to the store to get the battery replaced because the car won't start without a jump...you'll wind up replacing a perfectly good battery when its really the starter. I've always done minor maintenance like this on my vehicles but after seeing what was involved (starter placed above the front axle and exhaust) I took it to a shop to get replaced. Getting lazy in my old age. Also, and this is unique to my car I'm sure, what I thought might be a simple alignment to fix an off-center steering wheel resulted in the removal and adjustment of the steering column...all told, about $450 to get everything fixed. Driver's side power steering boot is leaking and there is a minor rattling, knocking sound when we turn all the way to the right...will probably have to replace that sometime but not today. Flushed the power steering fluid...helped somewhat but not totally.

So, am I pleased with the car? Yes...with a whole week with my daughter driving it. But the engine works well, transmission shifts very well, the A/C and everything else is holding up well (knock on wood). Believe it will be a good car for my daughter as she finishes H.S. and moves onto college.

So, if you are wondering about this car with over 7 years on it, I think its held up very well. Definitely one to check out for a new driver.

Dead Reliable, just not an enthusasts car
By 68oramac1

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 LX in June of 2012 with just under 92,000 miles on the clock. Now, it has 134,000 miles and is still going strong. I have had only minor issues with the Civic overall eg. visors and clutch master cylinder. The car is very spacious compared to others in the class, which was helpful being 6'2". The only exception is the placement of the e-brake being where you rest your leg, which you get used to rather quickly.
I hardly ever drop below 30mpg even in mixed driving. But it does come at a cost, below 4000 rpm, you are lucky to have as much torque as a mid 80's Mazda Rotary engine at idle! The lack of torque can make it a chore to drive around town/city.

Overall, the Civic is a solid dead reliable economy car that will save you a bit of money at the pump. Compared to its competitors, Honda has maintained their status as very quality driven and did I mention reliable? But, for the enthusiast looking for the most fun driving experience in an economy car, I would look elsewhere. (Mazda 3) Test drove a Mazda3, Scion TC, and Civic Si at the time of purchase. On a side note, the Si has V6 power above 5000 RPM and handles like a go kart, along no torque below that, it is not worth the money up front or on insurance. Still a decent all around car.

Right after buying the car I had to fix the driver side visor, since it was separating as others have noted. Word of advice, look up how to repair them on Youtube for next to nothing. Other than that and normal maintenance, had to replace the clutch master cylinder and slave (which felt like crap early on). The factory clutch master's only have a plastic piston riding in an aluminum bore, which is why they crap out so easily. Replacing the factory system with a EM1 (2000 Civic Si clutch master) and integrating a stainless line will solve the problem. Similar to alot of modern drive by wire cars, the throttle response can be measured with a sundial.

The Best car you could ever have if you needed one made in 2008
By hiker323

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I want to write this with tears because this is the most reliable car that I have owned and yesterday I found out that it will be
loss. A week ago my car was sandwiched between two other vehicles. It provided the best protection one could ask for. My back is gone and my front is damaged, but I have remained completely safe.

If you choose this car it is reliable, safe and will protect you well.

*though my car is gone, I want you to know how safe this car is & that it will protect you.

I feel safe, it drives very smooth and quite, I can plug in my mp3 player and gps. The radio system words well.

The only 2 things to keep in mind is if you are someone who lives in the heat or near mountains. The AC works. It's just not Arizona strong. The car accelerates. However, you just need to know how to down shift correctly. This car has been a blessing especially since she protected me. I just wish it would be fixable so I could take her back home.

104k miles, 4 years later....
By por944t

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have just rolled over to 104k. This was a certified pre-owned 20k car from the dealership when I purchased it 4 years ago. Overall, this car has been reliable, affordable, and relatively roomy.
I've averaged 29-30mpg in the city/35 highway. This car is my daily driver. Longest drive was 16 hours one way (at 90k) and no problems.
Next service appointment is for the water pump/belt- hopefully this goes smoothly.

I love the interior design, roomy, rear seats lay flat (headrests removed), huge trunk, flat floor across rear seat, peppy to drive, excellent gas mileage, fully adjustable front seat (great for shorties), seats four adults comfortably (lots of compliments), plenty of headspace, great efficient headlights, AC/heat work quickly, radio is decent... cannot say enough good things about this vehicle. 104k and still enjoy driving this car.

Other then the normal wear and tear items (oil changes, air filter changes, brakes/tires at 80K, wipers etc), the only "issue" I have had is with the driver sunvisor joint melting (dealer replaced free of charge). Gears have an awkward layout- only noticeable when going over large hills. Larger turn radius for a sedan and surprisingly large blind spots around vehicle.

Over the Hill
By ukyagr

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The first year of ownership was great, but it has since been in steady decline. I bought this car based off of reputation, but unfortunately it will soon have to go. No longer can Honda claim reliability and high build quality with this vehicle. Problems include failing door locks, window motors, visors, blower fan electrical components, and A/C compressor failure. Honda has mailed extended warranties on paint and visors already. I expect eventual class action or warranty extension on the AC/blower issues - very common on this model. My dealer does not even charge me diagnostic fees on the AC or fan anymore. The car was babied and often garaged. All of these problems with only 62,000 miles.

Digital Dashboard, FM Tuning Wheel (as opposed to rocker switch), Solid Transmission, Comfortable Seats

Improve electrical components and systems. Improve reliability. Many components, switches, knobs, and finishings are excessively budget and cheap.