Used 2008 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Dead Reliable, just not an enthusasts car
By 68oramac1

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 LX in June of 2012 with just under 92,000 miles on the clock. Now, it has 134,000 miles and is still going strong. I have had only minor issues with the Civic overall eg. visors and clutch master cylinder. The car is very spacious compared to others in the class, which was helpful being 6'2". The only exception is the placement of the e-brake being where you rest your leg, which you get used to rather quickly. I hardly ever drop below 30mpg even in mixed driving. But it does come at a cost, below 4000 rpm, you are lucky to have as much torque as a mid 80's Mazda Rotary engine at idle! The lack of torque can make it a chore to drive around town/city.

Overall, the Civic is a solid dead reliable economy car that will save you a bit of money at the pump. Compared to its competitors, Honda has maintained their status as very quality driven and did I mention reliable? But, for the enthusiast looking for the most fun driving experience in an economy car, I would look elsewhere. (Mazda 3) Test drove a Mazda3, Scion TC, and Civic Si at the time of purchase. On a side note, the Si has V6 power above 5000 RPM and handles like a go kart, along no torque below that, it is not worth the money up front or on insurance. Still a decent all around car.

Right after buying the car I had to fix the driver side visor, since it was separating as others have noted. Word of advice, look up how to repair them on Youtube for next to nothing. Other than that and normal maintenance, had to replace the clutch master cylinder and slave (which felt like crap early on). The factory clutch master's only have a plastic piston riding in an aluminum bore, which is why they crap out so easily. Replacing the factory system with a EM1 (2000 Civic Si clutch master) and integrating a stainless line will solve the problem. Similar to alot of modern drive by wire cars, the throttle response can be measured with a sundial.

The Best car you could ever have if you needed one made in 2008
By hiker323

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I want to write this with tears because this is the most reliable car that I have owned and yesterday I found out that it will be loss. A week ago my car was sandwiched between two other vehicles. It provided the best protection one could ask for. My back is gone and my front is damaged, but I have remained completely safe. If you choose this car it is reliable, safe and will protect you well. *though my car is gone, I want you to know how safe this car is & that it will protect you.

I feel safe, it drives very smooth and quite, I can plug in my mp3 player and gps. The radio system words well.

The only 2 things to keep in mind is if you are someone who lives in the heat or near mountains. The AC works. It's just not Arizona strong. The car accelerates. However, you just need to know how to down shift correctly. This car has been a blessing especially since she protected me. I just wish it would be fixable so I could take her back home.

104k miles, 4 years later....
By por944t

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have just rolled over to 104k. This was a certified pre-owned 20k car from the dealership when I purchased it 4 years ago. Overall, this car has been reliable, affordable, and relatively roomy. I've averaged 29-30mpg in the city/35 highway. This car is my daily driver. Longest drive was 16 hours one way (at 90k) and no problems. Next service appointment is for the water pump/belt- hopefully this goes smoothly.

I love the interior design, roomy, rear seats lay flat (headrests removed), huge trunk, flat floor across rear seat, peppy to drive, excellent gas mileage, fully adjustable front seat (great for shorties), seats four adults comfortably (lots of compliments), plenty of headspace, great efficient headlights, AC/heat work quickly, radio is decent... cannot say enough good things about this vehicle. 104k and still enjoy driving this car.

Other then the normal wear and tear items (oil changes, air filter changes, brakes/tires at 80K, wipers etc), the only "issue" I have had is with the driver sunvisor joint melting (dealer replaced free of charge). Gears have an awkward layout- only noticeable when going over large hills. Larger turn radius for a sedan and surprisingly large blind spots around vehicle.

Over the Hill
By ukyagr

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The first year of ownership was great, but it has since been in steady decline. I bought this car based off of reputation, but unfortunately it will soon have to go. No longer can Honda claim reliability and high build quality with this vehicle. Problems include failing door locks, window motors, visors, blower fan electrical components, and A/C compressor failure. Honda has mailed extended warranties on paint and visors already. I expect eventual class action or warranty extension on the AC/blower issues - very common on this model. My dealer does not even charge me diagnostic fees on the AC or fan anymore. The car was babied and often garaged. All of these problems with only 62,000 miles.

Digital Dashboard, FM Tuning Wheel (as opposed to rocker switch), Solid Transmission, Comfortable Seats

Improve electrical components and systems. Improve reliability. Many components, switches, knobs, and finishings are excessively budget and cheap.

Disappointed by this model
By lafreewarian

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned Hondas for over 25 years. While the gas mileage of my 2008 Civic is good, the interior noise is irritating, the headrest not in a comfortable position, and after 22,000 miles I had to purchase 4 new tires. The passenger side automatic door lock stopped working and had to be replaced. As of 2012 the car has only 28,000 miles. My last Honda, a 1990 Acura Legend, was a great car and is still going strong. Never any problems with interior and few with engine. I won't buy a Civic again.