2008 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Thank God for this car!!!
By dreamaker9729 on 01/29/12 09:14 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Im not trying to knock anyone down because your opinion is your opinion, but im not complaining. I went from a 87' Chrysler 5th avenue to this car, it was a God send. I was getting 17 hwy on that thing and i put 50 dollars in 3 days later, im putting in 50 more. I guess when you come up with nothing and finally have something you appreciate it more...So buy one you'll love it!

Very Solid High MPG Car
By bobbichen on 03/03/11 11:29 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I puchased this unit used, recently in very good condition. ($13k, 44k miles). Hybrids are certainly a different breed of cat. They drive a bit differently, though I like the driving dynamics much better than the Prius. (Brakes seem "grabby" and steering doesn't fit me; HCH has a telescoping and tilt wheel that allows a more aggressive steering position). I find the car to be plenty peppy as to acceleration. Handling and braking are very good in my opinion. Car feels sporty. Hybrid system is a little distracting, and does some odd things (sudden battery "dumps" at times, MPG drops on cold weather). Ride is a bit stiff, bordering on harsh on poor pavement.

Poor Gas Mileage, poor acceleration.
By ttomaka on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Nicely-designed car but never did better than 40 mpg combined city/highway. I recently received the Honda-directed firmware "update" which has radically altered the hybrid propulsion system. Fuel economy has decreased by 5 mpg, and the car often is incapable of accelerating when you need it. Honda refuses to admit to a problem.

Never again
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been getting good (>43 MG) mileage before the Honda update to my Hybrid in May of 2010. Prior to that update I had reached 47.8 MPG on a 1,022 mile trip from my son's home in GA to my home in Boston. After the May computer update, I never got better than 38 MPG, even on the highway. I've had this thing back to the dealer at least 3 times for crappy gas mileage after the May update. One more thing - the resale value on these things is terrible. The Toyota dealer across the driveway from my Honda dealer offered me $9 grand on a trade-in for this $22,000 Hybrid with less than 34,500 miles and less than 24 months driving. I pick up my new 2010 Prius tomorrow.

Honda can do better
By Valmomof2 on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

yeah, the gas mileage is good. Not in the hot summer though. If you sit at a red light too long the hybrid battery runs down and you have very little power to accelerate. No frills in the interior. No automatic headlights, no lighted vanity mirrors, no rear cup holders. It would not have cost Honda that much to add a few comforts to make the driving experience a little more pleasurable.

WARNING: Honda IMA Reprogram Recall
By BLC on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Civic hybrid performed flawlessly and still regulary returns 43 mpg per tank in mixed city/hwy driving. Per notice from Honda I took recall notice in and was told the computer reflash would only affect the battery recharge rate - would NOT affect the driving characteristics of the car. However, since reflashed, the battery is quicker to discharge in city driving. If it falls below 4 bars of power THE IMA POWER BOOST DOES NOT ENGAGE. I am trying to accelerate with only the 1.3L gas engine until I recharge above 5 bars Dealer sent computer test sample to Honda Tech Dept who acknowledge "many" such instances, but insist the new computer program is operating as designed-NO FIX.

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid
By SSimon4916 on 08/16/10 15:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I now have 90k on my car with only one major repair. The window seal contorted at about 30k and was $200 to replace. I get between 39-42 mpg, depending on driving behavior. I am about to receive the battery update for the car, which should increase the life of the battery. I was told Honda did not replace batteries in hybrids when I bought the car, but now they do, or always have. Driving is smooth for the most part, but any bumps or pits in the road will definitely be felt. Service for the car can get a bit pricy. The smaller steering wheel does take some getting used to and the braking can be annoying when it does a full extra tire rotation when charging.

Don't believe the hype (don't buy it)
By Jimmy on 08/14/10 21:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was going to buy a Prius or a normal Honda Civic. I decided to split the my decision and go with a low mileage Civic Hybrid. Big Mistake my friends. When I test drove it I was impressed because the car is very smooth and rides nice. It seemed to be everything I wanted. However after two days of driving my new hybrid I noticed I was only getting 33 mpg highway and city. I filled the tank up twice and the car went 400 miles on a 12.3 gallon tank (that's what the size is and it equals 33 mpg). I tried to take it back and trade for another regular Civic but I was told "You signed and now you are stuck with it." All I am told is "You have to drive with a light foot" Prius, Prius, Prius!

This is a Great Car
By msturg29 on 07/06/10 07:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this car specifically for my 80 mile a day commute. It has yet to let me down. I average about 41 mpg year round with the mileage increasing in the summer and decreasing in the cold Minnesota winters. As for performance, I knew this wasnít a speed racer and didnít expect it to be. It speeds up well for a very small 4 cylinder and keeps me going just fine. The interior has a great design for the speedometer, easily readable in all lighting conditions. The arm rest slides forward for short people like me. The car is small, but I manage to get a car seat and a 100 lb dog to fit comfortably. With the reliability of Honda, overall I love this car.

Don't buy unless driving highway & alone
By JP on 04/09/10 10:57 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The is my third Honda Civic and second Hybrid. I had previously a 2006. This car give good gas mileage on the open road but average 32 mpg in town. It has very uncomfortable seats and feels terrible when in-laws are in the back seat. Personally, I think Honda cut corners on their suspension (rear). I thought it was my 2006 but the 2008 performs exactly the same. Wish I had not risked the same buy a second time. On a positive note, it looks great and does consistently provide at least 40 mpg even at 70 mph.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.