Used 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

I love it ! buy one but understand this technology first.
By fyler

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The build quality is awesome, interiors look kinda luxury especially with the blue cloth color, I like the futuristic dashboard.The only thing I don't like is the location of the gas pedal (its like coming off the floor). A very dependable car.People who complaint about the MPG, they need to understand how to drive a hybrid car first, cruise before red lights, drive on 55-65 speed, don't floor the gas pedal etc. I am at 80K miles and the IMA battery is working properly (this is my second Hybrid and I never got any IMA issues). People need to understand that the IMA technology has been matured enough that they don't need to get scared from the IMA because they are cheap to replace now.

Blue interiors, graphite exterior, dashboard, spacious backseat, it handles pretty good for a 1.3 L engine.

Moonroof, different alloy wheels, emergency brake different location, gas pedal location.

Thank God for this car!!!
By dreamaker9729

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Im not trying to knock anyone down because your opinion is your opinion, but im not complaining. I went from a 87' Chrysler 5th avenue to this car, it was a God send. I was getting 17 hwy on that thing and i put 50 dollars in 3 days later, im putting in 50 more. I guess when you come up with nothing and finally have something you appreciate it more...So buy one you'll love it!

I love the mpg, ac, heat, everything. lol and i cant hear the gears shift ;)

Very Solid High MPG Car
By bobbichen

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I puchased this unit used, recently in very good condition. ($13k, 44k miles). Hybrids are certainly a different breed of cat. They drive a bit differently, though I like the driving dynamics much better than the Prius. (Brakes seem "grabby" and steering doesn't fit me; HCH has a telescoping and tilt wheel that allows a more aggressive steering position). I find the car to be plenty peppy as to acceleration. Handling and braking are very good in my opinion. Car feels sporty. Hybrid system is a little distracting, and does some odd things (sudden battery "dumps" at times, MPG drops on cold weather). Ride is a bit stiff, bordering on harsh on poor pavement.

Gas mileage is very good in town. With regular car tires set at 40 psi, I get about 35 mpg in warmer weather (above 45 degrees) in mostly city stop and go traffic. The system clearly dislikes cold weather as MPG drops into the 20s below 30 degrees or so. I like the instrument column. Seats in back are decent and truck is also fairly large. If your battery drops charge you can simply pull over, put in Park, and rev up to 2500+ and battery will quickly recharge in a few minutes. Car is best for moderate climate with rolling to flat terrain (Colorado mountains would likely be a problem). Vehicles are soft on resale vs. Prius and a good value IMHO.

Hybrid charging is a little distracting and could lead to an accident. Have to police yourself. The audio speakers are an embarrassment. I have seen bigger magnets in Fisher Price branded products. I replaced the front and rear speakers for about $100 and 3 or 4 hours of my time, but it should come with decent speakers considering that HCH was priced in the mid 20s originally. Seats are a bit firm and suspension might be a little softer (though likely that way to maximize MPG). Auto stop can be a real hassle in parking situations. Needs a button to toggle it off during such maneuvers. A lot of traffic about battery failures on internet and this site. No problems so far.

Never again
By Anonymous

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been getting good (>43 MG) mileage before the Honda update to my Hybrid in May of 2010. Prior to that update I had reached 47.8 MPG on a 1,022 mile trip from my son's home in GA to my home in Boston. After the May computer update, I never got better than 38 MPG, even on the highway. I've had this thing back to the dealer at least 3 times for crappy gas mileage after the May update. One more thing - the resale value on these things is terrible. The Toyota dealer across the driveway from my Honda dealer offered me $9 grand on a trade-in for this $22,000 Hybrid with less than 34,500 miles and less than 24 months driving. I pick up my new 2010 Prius tomorrow.

That I can afford to get rid of it.

Fix your computer updates and figure out how to maintain residual value on this car, guys.

Poor Gas Mileage, poor acceleration.
By ttomaka

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Nicely-designed car but never did better than 40 mpg combined city/highway. I recently received the Honda-directed firmware "update" which has radically altered the hybrid propulsion system. Fuel economy has decreased by 5 mpg, and the car often is incapable of accelerating when you need it. Honda refuses to admit to a problem.

Replace the hybrid propulsion system with one that works.