2008 Honda Civic Coupe 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2008 Civic Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
The Little Car that Could
By queensonia2001

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 08 civic straight off the lot in 08. I love my little car, yes I do. I just have a couple of complaints. 1: slow acceleration. Super slow.2:visors keep breaking. on their own! 3: loud inside the car. When i'm on my cell people complain of the noise, and I can't use my speaker phone in the car while i'm driving. Other than those things, I love the gas mileage, love the way the gauges look, and love the fact that it has a better resell value than many other cars with the same year/specs.

Favorite Features

gas mileage gauges (looks) resell value

Suggested Improvements

quieter interior make visors better quality improve takeoff

2008 Civic MT problems
By mwitt

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2008 Civic 5 speed manual for over 2 years now. I have 47,000 miles on it. I am very disappointed. First minor problem: One of my rear tires cupped and had to be replaced. OK, maybe not Honda's fault. Next, drivers side window has a problem. Sometimes it goes up and sometimes it doesn't. Now, a big problem. My clutch is not working. Car jerks and vibrates when shifting into 1st and 2nd gear. The dealer said I need a new cluth at cost of $2000. I've had Honda's before and have loved them for their reliability. I don't think I will be buying one again.

tgfh (thank god for hondas!)
By chittowndriver

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I used to have a Honda (94 prelude) best car I ever owned. Until now. After a few so-so cars finally got the Civic. It looks great, handles great, and runs awesome. I drive it a lot. Just took it on a 4000 mile 10 day trip to Florida and not a single problem. In the Miami heat, the a/c blew ice cold. Great gas mileage, and it was comfortable to drive and I'm 6'3" (although the hand brake can get a little uncomfortable) I've had this car for 6 months and put 10k miles on it and its as awesome as when I drove it off the lot. Also the size is perfect for the city. Good cargo space, fun to drive, easy to park, and I always get compliments on it. Honda is as good as ever!

Favorite Features

dash, fun to drive, looks great!

Suggested Improvements

a little more horses, placement of hand brake

My first new honda
By blondelulu

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my honda for 2 years. I enjoy my Honda, love the gas mileage. I have had problems with my car not starting on the first try more than once. Also have had problems with my clutch making popping sounds while driving. Had it fixed and not a week and a half later it started popping again. The paneling in the back window rattles when listening to music. Very cheap plastic. The factory tires that came on the car were bridge-stone, they were horrible. They became lumpy and made the car vibrate going down the road. Other than that i love my car its fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Love the sub woofer, I like the look of the dash and radio, it drives great.

Suggested Improvements

Better factory tires, better plastic in the car, fix whatever is making the car not start well, and figure out why the clutch wants to pop while driving.

Great MPG
By francious

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have almost 40,000 miles on this ride. I sold a Mercedes C car because I drive so many miles and was only getting 26 MPG. I routinely get 38.9 mpg, never going below 36 and attaining 41.6 mpg on one trip. A larger tank would be great as I have to fill up every third day. I have had no problems with the engine, drive train, body, or trim. My only disappointment has been the drivers seat which has a one inch tear along a seam. It is very comfortable on good roads, a little less so on bumpy roads. At less than 20 grand for a fully optioned fuel sipper, it is a better deal than one of the hybrids.

Favorite Features

It looks great and has usable luggage space and easily folded rear seat backs.

Suggested Improvements

Trailer hitches are available but not trailer light kits. Go figure?

Happy So Far
By Peter

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used and have put a few thousand miles on it so far. Gas mileage is great in and out of town. EX trim is very nice and I get many compliments. Accelerates and handles exceptionally well. Interior is fairly nice, but dials for climate and audio feel cheap. Long trips get a little uncomfortable, but I bought it as a commuter car, so I knew what I was getting. No major problems yet and looking forward to having this car a long time.

Favorite Features

Inner and outer styling, gas mileage, handling, audio system. The speedometer is easily my favorite.

Suggested Improvements

Please place e-brake handle on right side of shifter (like a Mazda), refine control area on dash. A larger overhang for clock/audio screen, it catches a lot of glare when the moonroof is open. Foglights on EX trim.

Perfect Car
By hondahoot

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a college student, and my parents bought me this car at graduation. It is the perfect car for a college kid. It's dependable, sporty, safe, fun to drive, and turns heads. My parents like knowing that I always have my seat belt on, and that I love my car. Plus I get at least 36 mph on the highway. I have the rally red, and I just had the under spoilers and moonroof visor put on it, and people love it. Could not be happier. Plus the iPod aux jack is great, I never listen to the radio.

Favorite Features

Interior design with digital display, body style, gas mileage, safety, auxiliary jack, sound system, moonroof, large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Backseat is small, but it's a coupe, so it's expected. Digital instrument panel sometimes lags under extreme cold conditions (under 20F).

Great Car
By db

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the money. Not sure why some people aren't getting good fuel economy. My driving is about 2/3 highway and 1/3 city, and my worst tank in 6 months of ownership has been 33.5 mpg. I average 34.5 - 35.0 mpg, with spirited driving. My best tank was 37 mpg while I tried to baby it.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, styling, high revving engine.

Don't Buy a Civic
By gtko

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car has design flaws. Visors that brake on regular bases (I was told that this happens a lot). Laundry hooks brake. A/C blowing hot air at stop lights (I was told this is normal). I have just made my 4th payment and the crappy car is in the shop being worked on for the 6th time. This time the engine is rattling in the morning when it is first started because it is cold. The car also dies when put in reverse. I did not buy a new car to have to have it worked on all the time.

Favorite Features

It's cute, good on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Take it back and fix the problems.

Honda Rules
By Honda Guy

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 20 something Honda since 1977. I have had Hondas that I have driven 200,000 miles and no Honda has ever given me a major mechanical issue. If you follow the factory recommended service they will run a very long time. I have enjoyed every Honda that I have owned. This car is stylish and fun to drive. I'm 5" 11" and weigh about 220 lbs. I'm not a small guy and the car is extremely comfortable. I like the design of the instrument cluster. I don't have to lower my eyes from the road to know my speed. The EX comes with a whole lot of accessories and gadgets that you would expect on a $30,000 or more car.

Favorite Features

Style, Comfort, Gas Mileage, Fun to Drive

Suggested Improvements

Change the position or design of the hand brake handle. I lean my leg to the right and my knee hits the handle and it can be uncomfortable