2008 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Every 2 months!
By Rick on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in 2008. I had looked at the Toyota Matrix, but preferred the civic styling. For the first 2 months I was dealing with a clunking sound in the front end. After 3 visits to the dealership and a final stay of 3 days it was fixed. The dealership did a fairly major front end rebuild. Starting this past August there was a coil failure not once, but twice. The 2nd time left us stranded. Tonight was another call to Honda roadside assistance. Beautiful, eh. So I bought a HONDA built in Canada at the plant my family and friends work at. This is what I got. Well Merry Christmas!

Excellent first car.
By Rob on 08/26/10 23:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car brand new in July 2008 when gas was about $4.50 a gallon. Two years later and just over 20,000 miles and the car still runs and looks like the day I bought it. This being my first ever car and Honda to boot I have no major complaints whatsoever.

Practical, Safe, would recommend.
By JLK on 06/17/10 06:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new and didn't realize it already had paint chips on the rear bumper but the dealership fixed that. I would not buy the two door again; we have no kids but even getting the dogs in and out and groceries, it's just not convenient. Overall I would buy another one but the 4 door. I did have the manual so it got better mpg avg'd about 35 mostly highway. City driving dropped significantly to 26. VERY SAFE. I was t-boned by a Jeep grand Cherokee who was going 50 mph and came out with just whiplash and and a stitched toe from the clutch. I would definitely recommend to anyone in search of reliability, safety, and gas mileage. Not too fun to drive but practical.

Good on gas
By Ms.Jones on 04/01/10 08:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Drives well, no serious mechanical issues even though it was a salvage, One issues have been the damage done before I bought it when it was stolen. The rear shock is leaking, thinking about having the gear box looked at changing gears isnt as fluid as when I first bought it.

Never agian
By Ts on 02/01/10 15:17 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the car for 18 months, bought brand new, thought I was buying quality. WRONG. This car has design flaws. Sunvisers bust and fall on your head (replaced 4). A/C doesn't work at stop lights. Engine rattles when you start it in the morning. Car does not start on first try every time(stranded 2x's and now carry jumper cables). Honda cares about my safety so much they will not even look at anything wrong with the car. I am told "unless you can duplicate the problem there isn't one."

The Civic continues to deliver
By misttertee on 01/07/10 18:53 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost two years now and I do not regret my decision. It consistently delivers better gas mileage than the sticker (36-37 mpg) and is still fun to drive. The build quality and refinement are top notch and the manual transmission provides smooth, short throw shifts. In my opinion, the Civic is a much better design both inside and out than other cars in the segment. I've put 40k miles on this car in just 21 months and it continues to perform like it did when I drove it off the dealer's lot.

Best car I have owned
By arcticracer on 10/21/09 11:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Civic at the peak of the gas prices in 2008 in Anchorage. The trip home a week later 350 miles, I got almost 47 MPG. Now with 15K miles, our overall MPG is over 33. That's with studded snow tires half the year which drop it to about 30. 20-50 below temps here are routine, and the Civic has a GREAT heater we really depend on. It is a blast to drive, ours has a 5-speed (hard to find), and it drives best if you short shift to use the ample torque of the smooth as silk engine. It doesn't lug or stumble even at 1000 RPM. Steering is nimble, sporty, and neutral. Only gripes: Poor radio, doesn't handle multiple strong stations well, and wipers-only 1 intermittent setting.

Buy a civic thinking it will b amazing...
By Megh on 10/19/09 06:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in May of 2008, 8 thousand miles later I needed new brakes in the front. Got literally yelled at for driving the car too hard. 8000 miles later, need new brakes again, go into new dealership, they tell me my calipers are defective. 2 months later there is a creaking from my front right, dealer says defective axle. My experience with this car is that it has a lot of defective parts, and Honda just doesn't seem to care anymore. I also drive an 88 prelude si, and the old clutch felt better then the brand new one on the civic.

Civic coupe manual
By Leon on 05/25/09 08:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Had my LX coupe 5sp manual for a year now, 0 problems, it's comfortable, pretty stiff though, but I like it. I do about 30 MPG and all of them are in the city, and very short drives. No real space in the back, kids will do fine. Front is very spacious, I'm 6'4" and it's fine, drives well, second gear sometimes won't go in.

Best purchase made in 2008
By lj82 on 03/29/09 14:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Civic has great pick up for getting on the highway. I commute to work about 26 miles a day, and my gas mileage is outstanding.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Honda Civic Coupe in VA is:

$130 per month*