2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Over the Hill
By ukyagr on 12/02/13 09:36 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The first year of ownership was great, but it has since been in steady decline. I bought this car based off of reputation, but unfortunately it will soon have to go. No longer can Honda claim reliability and high build quality with this vehicle. Problems include failing door locks, window motors, visors, blower fan electrical components, and A/C compressor failure. Honda has mailed extended warranties on paint and visors already. I expect eventual class action or warranty extension on the AC/blower issues - very common on this model. My dealer does not even charge me diagnostic fees on the AC or fan anymore. The car was babied and often garaged. All of these problems with only 62,000 miles.

Good car for the money
By Roger on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car with 24 miles on it. It's been a good car. You're not going to blow anyone away off the line with the 1.8L engine, but you will get great gas mileage. I average around 39 mpg year round. Higher in the summer, lower in the winter. Nothing has broken yet, but it shouldn't on a three year old car. I do my own tires, own oil changes, and own repairs. The car is well designed and seems to be well built. I do have some issues with the paint. Honda did a poor job painting the car and I noticed several areas where there's some blob under the clear coat. Like dirt or dust got on the car.

Love this car
By Dave on 01/17/10 08:58 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had the heated seat feature installed without the leather - great idea. I also worked the rear view mirror with glare repellent and direction in the deal as well - great idea too. With tinted windows and the rear wing, I find this car every bit as classy as models 3 times the cost. High end tires have helped tremendously - Honda sells them new with a really bad tire.

Honda Civic Problems
By Mo on 09/09/09 05:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I downsized from a '06 Audi A4 to a Civic. This car has been nothing but problems. When I bought the car, part of the bumper was scratched and the dealer fixed it. Then my struts were making a creaking noises within weeks of buying the car, the dealer replaced the struts. I complained a couple of times about the air smelling horrible when the A/C was on and they couldn't fix it (they couldn't smell it). The car started to make a ticking noise within the past week and took it into a dealer close to my work. With 31k on the car, the dealer is telling me that I have burned out the clutch and I have to pay $500 for a new clutch! This is a junk car and would not recommend this car.

Great Car - In Most Situations
By BigJon on 01/01/09 04:49 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm writing this review to call out one design problem with the Civic. On a long trip the front seats are downright painful. We took a 600 mile trip at Thanksgiving, my wife (5'6") drove down and I (6'1") drove back and we both developed a pain which lasted for about 24 hours afterward. We tried multiple driving positions but to no avail. It was bad enough that we'll never use that car on a long trip again. We got just under 35 miles to the gallon going 80 mph and fully loaded, which was great, but again - if I had purchased this car for a lot of long haul driving I'd already be looking for a replacement. Mileage around town has been disappointing - about 25 mpg.

2008 Honda Civic EX 4-Dr. 5M
By MATT on 11/11/08 12:15 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I drive an 08 black Civic EX 5M. All in all this vehicle is very fun to drive. I love the shift, very easy compared to my previous manual vehicles. I seriously average between 34-38 mpg per fill up. No joke. I can get average 430-470 miles per tank and it's not even a hybrid. Mileage has a lot to do with owners driving. I have tons of fun on side streets with my car, but keep the highway driving around 60, and that shows about 40 mpg on the highway. With my crazy driving on side streets, it averages to 35 mpg usually. Great car for MPG!

Excellent car overall
By Valerie Phillips on 08/20/08 09:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have only driven the car a few thousand miles, but enough to know what a wonderful car it is! When I traded, my car payment increased approx. $50.00, however I have saved over $100.00 in gas each of the past 2 months. The ride is very pleasant and the overall workmanship of the car is great. There a few minor irritations, however I would definitely choose this vehicle again. I do wish that I would have gotten an EX-L with Navigation.

Black Beauty
By gary on 08/05/08 09:45 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Had every intention of keeping my 2001 Civic EX another 5 years - it was totaled in an accident in June. While shopping for used Civics I discovered high prices due to extraordinary resale value (and current price of gas)! So I now own this incredible black, 2008 EX! Just turned 1000 miles and it is my opinion that this just might be the best car ever sold in the U.S.!

Great car, my second Civic
By Steve on 06/11/08 19:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This generation Civic is the best to date. I owned a 1996 Civic for just over 12 years; I loved it before the wreck. I was just shy of 240,000 miles. My 2008 Civic is even better, more refined, comfortable, powerful and better looking. And most of all still have all the attributes that loved about my first Civic. To anyone who has driven other small cars in this class, it's the best. To those who are down grading from cars like a BMW 3 series, come on, this is a Civic and goes for 20 grand less, don't compare.

Absolutely Superb!
By Stan - Amarillo, TX on 06/10/08 15:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

5600 mile trip AMA to NJ to NC to Austin to AMA: 37.54 mpg; highway portion: 38.73; city (incl DC rush hr): 30.42. Seats firm, but even a 700+ mile day was fine. Pushing it on NC 80 from I-40 to Blueridge Pkwy (posted 45 mph; most curves 15-20 mph rec) was fantastic: engine, gearbox, clutch, steering feedback, & stable seats combined for the most fun I've ever had driving a car (I'm 65). Car has 2 personalities: economy or fun. I don't think any other car can do both this well under $20K -- particularly with the EX's safety & Honda's reliability. The beige/ivory color combo & sunroof mean minimal AC use. On hwy, recirc the air, keep heat off, & turn AC on/off as needed. Will incr mpg!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.