2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
104k miles, 4 years later....
By por944t on 06/03/14 13:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have just rolled over to 104k. This was a certified pre-owned 20k car from the dealership when I purchased it 4 years ago. Overall, this car has been reliable, affordable, and relatively roomy. I've averaged 29-30mpg in the city/35 highway. This car is my daily driver. Longest drive was 16 hours one way (at 90k) and no problems. Next service appointment is for the water pump/belt- hopefully this goes smoothly.

Expensive 2008 Civic
By civic08owner on 03/02/14 20:53 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I found my 2008 Honda Civic to be more expensive to maintain than my 2000 Chrysler Sebring. Here are the part replacements that needed to be done on my Civic in between 60-80k miles: 1. Driver's side sun visor 2. Main upper engine mount 3. Ventilation fan motor 4. Middle brake light At 84k miles, there is another rattle/grumble from the engine when idling. I suspect it may be the lower engine mount. Also, I average 25-27 mpg during winter months and 29-30 mpg during summer months, with mixed back road and highway driving. My Sebring only needed wheel bearings and tie rod ends to be replaced. I'm not impressed with Honda quality.

Over the Hill
By ukyagr on 12/02/13 09:36 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The first year of ownership was great, but it has since been in steady decline. I bought this car based off of reputation, but unfortunately it will soon have to go. No longer can Honda claim reliability and high build quality with this vehicle. Problems include failing door locks, window motors, visors, blower fan electrical components, and A/C compressor failure. Honda has mailed extended warranties on paint and visors already. I expect eventual class action or warranty extension on the AC/blower issues - very common on this model. My dealer does not even charge me diagnostic fees on the AC or fan anymore. The car was babied and often garaged. All of these problems with only 62,000 miles.

Only minor issues
By donjames150 on 11/21/13 12:57 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car in December of 2008, it now has 75,000 miles 5 years later. The only "repair" has been to add 2 strong clips to fix the broken sun visor hinges that melt in the southern sun here in NC. And the paint job is of poor quality, but still good enough after 5 years. I had to have the AC charged this year. And brakes after 60k miles. Normal maintenance really. The passenger side front electric window motor is wearing out but still working. The factory tires were loud and hard riding. Do yourself a favor (and this goes for any car), buy the best tires you can afford. I like Goodyear ComforTred. They are quiet and give a softer ride, worth the extra money. Drives like new.

Disappointed
By wak52 on 11/10/13 11:36 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

In November 2013 my 2008 Honda Civic experienced a motor mount failure. The vehicle has been well maintained, driven easy and only has 57,000 miles on it. Investigation on the internet shows this to be a very common problem. Honda absolutely refuses to do anything about the problem, other than charging their customers a hefty fee for the repairs. This generation of Civic has also had issues with the windshield visors failing after a few years. Unfortunately the Civic has become an under engineered vehicle that Honda has cut too many corners with.

Problems Since Day 1
By shanetd6 on 08/02/13 15:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new. 1 a half years in the block leaked all the coolant out and my car overheated. Luckily no damage to the engine. They replaced the block under warranty. Shortly after a clicking sound when I turned sharply. Dealership diagnosed it and could not figure out what it was. Finally after a few years they replaced the right front axle. Seemed fine for about six months and has progressively gotten worse. Brake pads replaced after 3 years and 60K miles. Now brakes make a horrible noise. Rotors resurfaced, bearing replaced and no change. The visibility sucks There is a huge blind spot on the edge of the windshield. Can't see people in crosswalk. Scary! Be careful.

Mugen SI
By jordan231479 on 02/12/13 06:41 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic MUGEN Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

With just only 2 weeks with the Mugen SI I'm completely in love with this car. Not only does it get attention from everyone but it's a blast to drive. If your a Honda enthusiast, this is definitely the car to own. It drives like a dream with a stiff cornering when you want it but comfortable enough to drive in long trips.

Very Please With My Honda Civic
By joyloveshonda on 01/12/13 08:25 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

My car just hit 81,000 miles no problems I drive her daily and my teen drives her also. Only maintenance have needed to do is oil changes and air filters. The gas mileage is excellent. Tires replaced every 2 years. Never have had an issue. She handles great, takes corners tight.Very pleased no complaints I have owned 9 different types of cars before purchasing my Honda I will never buy another brand of car again. For a car in this purchase price area your not going to receive all the bells and whistles. For the money I do believe it is the best car in its class. Yes the a/c tweaks with the speed The inside cabin does have noise You can feel anything you run over The radio is not the best

Wish I still had it.
By m_n on 12/29/12 19:35 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

2nd worst automotive decision I've made was to sell my 2008 Si (worst was buying a 2000 Mercedes E-class for the wife). In 3 years and 75,000 miles of ownership, it was gas, oil, go. That's it. Never once did it darken the dealer service bay for anything. Window sticker says 29mpg highway and that is WAY underrated. I easily got 34-35 with the cruise set on 70, and that was with 10% ethanol fuel. Real gas gave me as high as 37mpg once. With the HFP suspension and Michelin Pilot Sports, this was the best handling car I've ever owned. Other cars may be faster (GTI, WRX, Mazdaspeed 3), but the Si is absolutely THE BEST blend of comfort, performance, reliability and economy.

Most expensive car to maintain, I've ever owned
By bikestwo on 08/09/12 11:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2008 Honda LX-SR in Sept 2008, expected to get many years of troublefree motoring,.... it has 30,100 Kms on it now,... I've replaced 6 shocks, one has been replaced 3 times. had the brakes serviced,, had to have the rotors machined at 30,000 Kms,... couldn't believe it,.. even purchased the extended warranty, nothing was covered.... so much for many years of troublefree motoring,... I've spend more money on service on this vehicle, than on any other car I've owned... Won't be buying another Honda product anytime soon

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.