Used 2008 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Just bought a 2008 Civic LX
By BllG

2008 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used Civic last week for my daughter. Got a good deal at 113000 miles and wanted to post for others that might be lookng at this car to let you know how it has held up. Body was in great shape - a few minor dings and what not but no paint chipping, fade, or peeling. No rust. Interior, which has been critized, has held up well. No scratches or anything detracting from the interior. Cruise control, A/C, displays, radio, etc., all working with no issues. Also, I'm 6'2" and have zero issues sitting in the front seats...back seats might be an issue but driving it I'm very comfortable. Engine still runs strong, no leaks, and the transmission shifts very smoothly even under full acceleration onto the interstate. Plus, these vehicles have a timing chain vice belt, so you don't have to concern yourself with the inevitable 100,000 mile, $1000, timing belt replacement. Power steering works great with no noise from the power steering pump. Car tracks straight and true down the road and handlng is solid. You definitely feel the bumps in the road but this isn't a luxury car with the associated suspension. Engine does vibrate and you can feel it sitting at a stop light esp with the A/C on. But, again, it's a 4 cyl and it isn't really distracting. Road noise is definitely there on the highway but I don't sense there are any leaks through the weather stripping...it's just an economy car. Couple of issues that are to be expected with this car's history. The passenger side visor had failed...a quick fix through Amazon at $50. Also, the starter, no kidding, quit the same day we bought it. Don't naively send your wife off to the store to get the battery replaced because the car won't start without a jump...you'll wind up replacing a perfectly good battery when its really the starter. I've always done minor maintenance like this on my vehicles but after seeing what was involved (starter placed above the front axle and exhaust) I took it to a shop to get replaced. Getting lazy in my old age. Also, and this is unique to my car I'm sure, what I thought might be a simple alignment to fix an off-center steering wheel resulted in the removal and adjustment of the steering column...all told, about $450 to get everything fixed. Driver's side power steering boot is leaking and there is a minor rattling, knocking sound when we turn all the way to the right...will probably have to replace that sometime but not today. Flushed the power steering fluid...helped somewhat but not totally. So, am I pleased with the car? Yes...with a whole week with my daughter driving it. But the engine works well, transmission shifts very well, the A/C and everything else is holding up well (knock on wood). Believe it will be a good car for my daughter as she finishes H.S. and moves onto college. So, if you are wondering about this car with over 7 years on it, I think its held up very well. Definitely one to check out for a new driver.

210,000 miles
By D

2008 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

210,000 miles and still going strong, BUT mileage is down to 39 mpg and I have to keep replacing the rear tires do to a recall of the rear control arms years ago. The Honda tire warranty is horrible. I would not buy another one!!

Happy Owner
By Donna

2008 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am all about economy and reliability. This car has both. I like that it is easy to park. It can gain speed quickly on the interstate. I feel that the car is substantially build. The cloth on the seats has held up very well and looks almost new. I have taken my car to the dealer for all recommended maintenance and have been very satisfied. I feel that my money was well spent when I purchased this vehicle.

Dead Reliable, just not an enthusasts car
By 68oramac1

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 LX in June of 2012 with just under 92,000 miles on the clock. Now, it has 134,000 miles and is still going strong. I have had only minor issues with the Civic overall eg. visors and clutch master cylinder. The car is very spacious compared to others in the class, which was helpful being 6'2". The only exception is the placement of the e-brake being where you rest your leg, which you get used to rather quickly. I hardly ever drop below 30mpg even in mixed driving. But it does come at a cost, below 4000 rpm, you are lucky to have as much torque as a mid 80's Mazda Rotary engine at idle! The lack of torque can make it a chore to drive around town/city.

Overall, the Civic is a solid dead reliable economy car that will save you a bit of money at the pump. Compared to its competitors, Honda has maintained their status as very quality driven and did I mention reliable? But, for the enthusiast looking for the most fun driving experience in an economy car, I would look elsewhere. (Mazda 3) Test drove a Mazda3, Scion TC, and Civic Si at the time of purchase. On a side note, the Si has V6 power above 5000 RPM and handles like a go kart, along no torque below that, it is not worth the money up front or on insurance. Still a decent all around car.

Right after buying the car I had to fix the driver side visor, since it was separating as others have noted. Word of advice, look up how to repair them on Youtube for next to nothing. Other than that and normal maintenance, had to replace the clutch master cylinder and slave (which felt like crap early on). The factory clutch master's only have a plastic piston riding in an aluminum bore, which is why they crap out so easily. Replacing the factory system with a EM1 (2000 Civic Si clutch master) and integrating a stainless line will solve the problem. Similar to alot of modern drive by wire cars, the throttle response can be measured with a sundial.

2008 Civic Coupe LX
By kmat1

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for five years now and there are a few complaints. Just like others have stated, the driver's side visor is broken. I've also seen this defect in other 2008 civic coupes. The rear tires are cupped. This happened within a year of owning the car with only 30,000 miles on it. Two years ago, the automatic locks started to work intermittently. Most of the time I have to manually unlock the doors, and reach over to unlock passenger side. The dashboard is digital and the gas gauge works sometimes, but most of the time it's flickering on and off. The A/C works intermittently. When it's very hot outside, it's guaranteed not to work. Lastly, car vibrates in reverse & park.

• SUV