Used 2008 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Dead Reliable, just not an enthusasts car
By 68oramac1

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 LX in June of 2012 with just under 92,000 miles on the clock. Now, it has 134,000 miles and is still going strong. I have had only minor issues with the Civic overall eg. visors and clutch master cylinder. The car is very spacious compared to others in the class, which was helpful being 6'2". The only exception is the placement of the e-brake being where you rest your leg, which you get used to rather quickly. I hardly ever drop below 30mpg even in mixed driving. But it does come at a cost, below 4000 rpm, you are lucky to have as much torque as a mid 80's Mazda Rotary engine at idle! The lack of torque can make it a chore to drive around town/city.

Favorite Features

Overall, the Civic is a solid dead reliable economy car that will save you a bit of money at the pump. Compared to its competitors, Honda has maintained their status as very quality driven and did I mention reliable? But, for the enthusiast looking for the most fun driving experience in an economy car, I would look elsewhere. (Mazda 3) Test drove a Mazda3, Scion TC, and Civic Si at the time of purchase. On a side note, the Si has V6 power above 5000 RPM and handles like a go kart, along no torque below that, it is not worth the money up front or on insurance. Still a decent all around car.

Suggested Improvements

Right after buying the car I had to fix the driver side visor, since it was separating as others have noted. Word of advice, look up how to repair them on Youtube for next to nothing. Other than that and normal maintenance, had to replace the clutch master cylinder and slave (which felt like crap early on). The factory clutch master's only have a plastic piston riding in an aluminum bore, which is why they crap out so easily. Replacing the factory system with a EM1 (2000 Civic Si clutch master) and integrating a stainless line will solve the problem. Similar to alot of modern drive by wire cars, the throttle response can be measured with a sundial.

2008 Civic Coupe LX
By kmat1

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for five years now and there are a few complaints. Just like others have stated, the driver's side visor is broken. I've also seen this defect in other 2008 civic coupes. The rear tires are cupped. This happened within a year of owning the car with only 30,000 miles on it. Two years ago, the automatic locks started to work intermittently. Most of the time I have to manually unlock the doors, and reach over to unlock passenger side. The dashboard is digital and the gas gauge works sometimes, but most of the time it's flickering on and off. The A/C works intermittently. When it's very hot outside, it's guaranteed not to work. Lastly, car vibrates in reverse & park.

A Good College Car
By andrew_kaber08

2008 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My 2008 Civic Si Coupe was a great car; but it was just a college car. It was fast, quick on its feet, had an amazing audio system, and popular with the teenage and young-twenties crowd, but it always felt unrefined. The engine provides a surprising bit of power, but only high in the rpm's, and had no down-low power. Driving it in stop-and-go traffic was a chore due to very low torque, but once you got in the 6,000 to 8,000 rpm range, it FLEW. This car is an amazing college vehicle, especially with the standard sunroof and subwoofer, but it's just unrefined. Lots of wind noise, road bumps, and interior quality hiccups (such as a ticking CD-player) prevent it from being a "professional" car.

Favorite Features

Amazing handling, rev-happy engine, standard subwoofer and sunroof, great power-to-weight ratio, probably the most fun to drive out of any car I have ever owned.

Suggested Improvements

More torque, more focus on interior quality, more sound deadening (reduce road noise), improve fuel economy (it only gets about 23mpg on premium-required fuel)

I love it ! buy one but understand this technology first.
By fyler

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The build quality is awesome, interiors look kinda luxury especially with the blue cloth color, I like the futuristic dashboard.The only thing I don't like is the location of the gas pedal (its like coming off the floor). A very dependable car.People who complaint about the MPG, they need to understand how to drive a hybrid car first, cruise before red lights, drive on 55-65 speed, don't floor the gas pedal etc. I am at 80K miles and the IMA battery is working properly (this is my second Hybrid and I never got any IMA issues). People need to understand that the IMA technology has been matured enough that they don't need to get scared from the IMA because they are cheap to replace now.

Favorite Features

Blue interiors, graphite exterior, dashboard, spacious backseat, it handles pretty good for a 1.3 L engine.

Suggested Improvements

Moonroof, different alloy wheels, emergency brake different location, gas pedal location.

The Best car you could ever have if you needed one made in 2008
By hiker323

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I want to write this with tears because this is the most reliable car that I have owned and yesterday I found out that it will be loss. A week ago my car was sandwiched between two other vehicles. It provided the best protection one could ask for. My back is gone and my front is damaged, but I have remained completely safe. If you choose this car it is reliable, safe and will protect you well. *though my car is gone, I want you to know how safe this car is & that it will protect you.

Favorite Features

I feel safe, it drives very smooth and quite, I can plug in my mp3 player and gps. The radio system words well.

Suggested Improvements

The only 2 things to keep in mind is if you are someone who lives in the heat or near mountains. The AC works. It's just not Arizona strong. The car accelerates. However, you just need to know how to down shift correctly. This car has been a blessing especially since she protected me. I just wish it would be fixable so I could take her back home.