2008 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Dead Reliable, just not an enthusasts car
By 68oramac1 on 02/13/15 13:14 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 LX in June of 2012 with just under 92,000 miles on the clock. Now, it has 134,000 miles and is still going strong. I have had only minor issues with the Civic overall eg. visors and clutch master cylinder. The car is very spacious compared to others in the class, which was helpful being 6'2". The only exception is the placement of the e-brake being where you rest your leg, which you get used to rather quickly. I hardly ever drop below 30mpg even in mixed driving. But it does come at a cost, below 4000 rpm, you are lucky to have as much torque as a mid 80's Mazda Rotary engine at idle! The lack of torque can make it a chore to drive around town/city.

2008 Civic Coupe LX
By kmat1 on 01/04/15 16:03 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for five years now and there are a few complaints. Just like others have stated, the driver's side visor is broken. I've also seen this defect in other 2008 civic coupes. The rear tires are cupped. This happened within a year of owning the car with only 30,000 miles on it. Two years ago, the automatic locks started to work intermittently. Most of the time I have to manually unlock the doors, and reach over to unlock passenger side. The dashboard is digital and the gas gauge works sometimes, but most of the time it's flickering on and off. The A/C works intermittently. When it's very hot outside, it's guaranteed not to work. Lastly, car vibrates in reverse & park.

A Good College Car
By andrew_kaber08 on 01/03/15 13:19 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My 2008 Civic Si Coupe was a great car; but it was just a college car. It was fast, quick on its feet, had an amazing audio system, and popular with the teenage and young-twenties crowd, but it always felt unrefined. The engine provides a surprising bit of power, but only high in the rpm's, and had no down-low power. Driving it in stop-and-go traffic was a chore due to very low torque, but once you got in the 6,000 to 8,000 rpm range, it FLEW. This car is an amazing college vehicle, especially with the standard sunroof and subwoofer, but it's just unrefined. Lots of wind noise, road bumps, and interior quality hiccups (such as a ticking CD-player) prevent it from being a "professional" car.

I love it ! buy one but understand this technology first.
By fyler on 11/15/14 21:59 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The build quality is awesome, interiors look kinda luxury especially with the blue cloth color, I like the futuristic dashboard.The only thing I don't like is the location of the gas pedal (its like coming off the floor). A very dependable car.People who complaint about the MPG, they need to understand how to drive a hybrid car first, cruise before red lights, drive on 55-65 speed, don't floor the gas pedal etc. I am at 80K miles and the IMA battery is working properly (this is my second Hybrid and I never got any IMA issues). People need to understand that the IMA technology has been matured enough that they don't need to get scared from the IMA because they are cheap to replace now.

The Best car you could ever have if you needed one made in 2008
By hiker323 on 08/19/14 12:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I want to write this with tears because this is the most reliable car that I have owned and yesterday I found out that it will be loss. A week ago my car was sandwiched between two other vehicles. It provided the best protection one could ask for. My back is gone and my front is damaged, but I have remained completely safe. If you choose this car it is reliable, safe and will protect you well. *though my car is gone, I want you to know how safe this car is & that it will protect you.

104k miles, 4 years later....
By por944t on 06/03/14 13:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have just rolled over to 104k. This was a certified pre-owned 20k car from the dealership when I purchased it 4 years ago. Overall, this car has been reliable, affordable, and relatively roomy. I've averaged 29-30mpg in the city/35 highway. This car is my daily driver. Longest drive was 16 hours one way (at 90k) and no problems. Next service appointment is for the water pump/belt- hopefully this goes smoothly.

Expensive 2008 Civic
By civic08owner on 03/02/14 20:53 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I found my 2008 Honda Civic to be more expensive to maintain than my 2000 Chrysler Sebring. Here are the part replacements that needed to be done on my Civic in between 60-80k miles: 1. Driver's side sun visor 2. Main upper engine mount 3. Ventilation fan motor 4. Middle brake light At 84k miles, there is another rattle/grumble from the engine when idling. I suspect it may be the lower engine mount. Also, I average 25-27 mpg during winter months and 29-30 mpg during summer months, with mixed back road and highway driving. My Sebring only needed wheel bearings and tie rod ends to be replaced. I'm not impressed with Honda quality.

Over the Hill
By ukyagr on 12/02/13 09:36 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The first year of ownership was great, but it has since been in steady decline. I bought this car based off of reputation, but unfortunately it will soon have to go. No longer can Honda claim reliability and high build quality with this vehicle. Problems include failing door locks, window motors, visors, blower fan electrical components, and A/C compressor failure. Honda has mailed extended warranties on paint and visors already. I expect eventual class action or warranty extension on the AC/blower issues - very common on this model. My dealer does not even charge me diagnostic fees on the AC or fan anymore. The car was babied and often garaged. All of these problems with only 62,000 miles.

Only minor issues
By donjames150 on 11/21/13 12:57 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car in December of 2008, it now has 75,000 miles 5 years later. The only "repair" has been to add 2 strong clips to fix the broken sun visor hinges that melt in the southern sun here in NC. And the paint job is of poor quality, but still good enough after 5 years. I had to have the AC charged this year. And brakes after 60k miles. Normal maintenance really. The passenger side front electric window motor is wearing out but still working. The factory tires were loud and hard riding. Do yourself a favor (and this goes for any car), buy the best tires you can afford. I like Goodyear ComforTred. They are quiet and give a softer ride, worth the extra money. Drives like new.

Disappointed
By wak52 on 11/10/13 11:36 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

In November 2013 my 2008 Honda Civic experienced a motor mount failure. The vehicle has been well maintained, driven easy and only has 57,000 miles on it. Investigation on the internet shows this to be a very common problem. Honda absolutely refuses to do anything about the problem, other than charging their customers a hefty fee for the repairs. This generation of Civic has also had issues with the windshield visors failing after a few years. Unfortunately the Civic has become an under engineered vehicle that Honda has cut too many corners with.