2007 Honda Civic 1.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic Consumer Review - Underwhelmed

2007 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

Underwhelmed
By Tim on

2007 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Having driven Honda's most of my life I had pretty high expectations for gas mileage. My 1989 accord would consistently get 32mpg in the city and I once got it up to 40mpg driving cross country. So I figured a Honda hybrid would get even better gas mileage. Talk about disappointing. If I really concentrate on my driving (gentle on the gas, avoid the brakes, etc) I can get the mpg's up to 34 in the city and low 40s on the highway. If my leadfoot wife drives it gets well under 30. After getting over the dissappointing fuel efficiency the car has been decent. It has a surprising amount of pickup and handles well enough to avoid dying in Los Angeles traffic.

Favorite Features

Multiple power jacks and an aux input for the ipod is handy. Center console is convenient for stashing stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Work on the fuel efficiency. In stop and go traffic the engine doesn't shut off as often as it should. Also, all electric under certain speeds would greatly improve performance in stop and go.