Nearly the Perfect Car - Beware of the Exterior Paint
By tommyboy23 on
2007 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan w/Summer Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)
I bought my Fiji Blue Pearl Civic SI sedan brand new with 8 miles on it. After 5 years and 50,000 miles, I'm still happy with my purchase, but I have had two major issues to deal with (see below). Both issues have been handled to my satisfaction by Honda, but I didn't expect either problem from a Honda product. Having said that, this is probably the most reliable sporty car on the market today. I'm constantly asked "are you sure this car only has 4 cylinders?". It's probably the best sounding 4 cylinder on the market today. Honda also copied a lot of interior features from BMW, which makes it feel more upscale. A small mix of interior components, however, feel cheap and out of place.
Favorite Features
Awesome transmission and engine - both seem to get better with age. After 5 years, they feel and sound as good as they did the day I drove the car off the lot. Comfortable seats (I get lots of comments), good sound system, great cup holders (lame that I'm referencing, I know, but they are very functional and well designed), easy to drive fast, dependable, great real world gas mileage - 23 city 32 highway, excellent interior design that is bold and has great ergonomics, retains its value well - especially if you don't mod it.
Suggested Improvements
1) I've had a major exterior paint problem with my car. The paint has separated from the primer in several areas causing cracking and pealing. To their credit Honda has repainted my entire car at their expense (post warranty) and I have not had an issue since. The problem may only be with my car but someone with Honda unofficially told me that Fiji Blue Pearl paint is a problem on all models. 2) The only mechanical issue I've had to deal with is intermittent problems shifting into 3rd gear. Honda has put out a TSB for this (not a recall), and if you reference the TSB number with your Honda dealer (and you're still under your power train warranty), Honda WILL fix this issue for free.
By foxcraft
on 02/13/13 09:11 AM (PST)

Re the 3rd gear shifting problem. Had the same problem on my 2006 Acura RSX Type S (cousin to the Si). This is a simple fix. It merely requires replacing the transmission oil with an upgraded version available from Honda. An independent shop can do this as well as the dealer. It's remarkable how smoothly my RSX shifts now.