Love my Honda, but...
By bj789 on
2007 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (1.8L 4cyl 5A)
For an economy car, it's pretty nice. My last two cars were German and their reliability issues drove me to Japanese dependability, but man were Germans a blast to drive. And while I'm still happy with the Honda, there are some issues I'm now suffering. Mainly performance issues. Otherwise, it's functional, reliable, efficient and gets me from A to B with little worry. Most of my driving is in the city, and it zips around in traffic fairly well. I would not recommend as a highway commuter.
Favorite Features
Nav is nice. Like the MP3 CD reader and 1/8" audio port. COLD A/C, 60/40 fold down rear seat lets me pop my bike in the back (when I get the angle just right).
Suggested Improvements
Engine torque curve, sound insulation and handling. To accelerate quickly or pass on the highway the engine must be revved well over 4,500 RPMs resulting in an awkward jump and a screaming engine bay. At highway speeds textured pavement rumbles through the floor and can become an annoyance. Otherwise on smooth pavement it's pretty quiet. I took the car on a 2 hour country drive last weekend through hills and bends and I missed the German handling. The Civic shimmied and felt much less stable / capable in turns and ascending hills was downright slow, again unless the engine was screaming at 5k RPMs.
By bj789
on 10/07/12 15:49 PM (PDT)

1 yr, 6 month update: Continues to be very reliable. Only major fix was replacing all the brake pads @65k miles. They wear slowly (which is good), but overall they just don't stop as well as I'd like them too. I've been lucky to avoid rear-ending people, but sometimes they just don't respond as well as I'd like them to under emergency braking (again I'm comparing this to my experience with German cars who's typical stopping power is breathtaking). I'm still glad it's in my garage since it costs so little to run - why can't all cars be like that? I just wish it wasn't a little less of a dull driver. Right now I'm considering either a Mini Cooper S or a Subaru BRZ as a replacement in the next two years. Let the research begin!