Commuter car
By Bill on
2007 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)
I bought the Civic for my 80 mile round trip commute every day. It does the job very well but there have been a few issues that I didn't expect from a Honda (this is my first). The air conditioning failed (due to road debris?). Not covered by warranty for some reason. The tires wore out very fast and unevenly (upper rear control arms were replaced per tsb but not the tires). There were two recalls, one for rear bearings and the other for water pump pulley cracking. A rattle in the rear deck I fixed myself with foam rubber. Overall not bad, but more problems than I would expect from a new car. Still it is a competent commuter car and hasn't ever left me stranded.
Favorite Features
The fuel economy is excellent in my mostly highway driving. It will get 40 mpg plus if I keep my speed down, but I usually drive about 70 and it gets about 35 mpg at that speed. It is fairly quiet, handles well, has a good sound system and serves well as a commuter car.
Suggested Improvements
Too many problems for a new car, they really need to tighten up the quality control. This was the second year for this model so I expected it to be pretty well ironed out. If they build an a/c condenser out of weak materials, they should protect it better or be willing to fix it under warranty.