Transmission fails at 93k
By cchlebek on
2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)
I purchased this car new in the fall of 06 to enjoy more than double the fuel economy of my pickup truck. I was not disappointed as most tanks averaged in the upper 30s. I was considering a cobalt at the time but went with something that was predicted to hold its value better as I wanted to drive it until it died. It died at just over 90k miles with a bad transmission solenoid. (cost $3k to fix) I just couldn't believe a "reliable Honda" could require a rebuilt transmission with less than 100k miles. I've been driving the Cruze for almost a year now and the handling in snow is so much more secure than the Civic.
Favorite Features
The display and dashboard layout (some disliked it when first released) made the front seat feel very spacious. The gas mileage was better than expected and often in the low 40s in hwy driving. The seats are very comfortable and the car engine noise is quiet and and from a small engine, the acceleration was smooth. Cup holders for the rear passengers in the center fold down seat are a bonus. The EX package with alloy wheels, sunroof and power package are a nice addition on this vehicle.
Suggested Improvements
A longer lasting automatic trasmission! Driving in snowy/slippery conditions felt treacherous and I was often the slowest on the road because I felt like I could spin out at any moment. I got new tires and there was no improvement. The driver's side visor broke after a couple of years and would not stay up any longer. The paint looked great when new (white) but chipped very easily.