Used 2006 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Most Helpful|
Some thoughts about my 06 civic LX coupe (manual)
By jack_handy

2006 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car "newish" as a dealer demo from Richmond Hill Honda with +- 12,000 km on it. I had the HPF skirt package installed before I bought it. Today, (Dec 2012) I have over 210k kms on it. I sometimes tow a 700lb trailer with it for camping, I lug a car full of DJ gear with it too. This car's been a delight - a REAL PERFORMER. Muffler went at 100k, front rotors at 150k, battery after 4 yrs; all typical stuff if you ask me. I do the plugs myself and do all the other stuff on schedule. "This car doesn't owe me nothin' :) " and has been 100% reliable ALWAYS. Clearcoat on the hood has failed (cracked/split) and others have experienced same (on forums); I'm living with it.

Favorite Features

Love the shifter and clutch. Love the design. Love the HPF skirt package. Love the steering wheel size. Love the grey fabric on the seats and huge front glass.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel surface has worn off in spots, shift knob boot and knob itself worn out by 150k kms, driver's sun visor kept falling down. Fixed using 2 nuts/bolts through it to secure the arm within the visor. Stock speakers sound WAY better since replacing factory deck with a JVC unit. I replaced factory horns with Freeway Blasters the first week. Headlights are now weak with the frosted plastic surface. There is a factory geometry issue with the rear upper control arms, preventing proper alignment. (I went thru 3 sets bumpy/uneven tread before solving this) Get Honda's kit or get longer after-market arms for 0deg. camber. I have 225/40/17's for summer. Added turning lights to front .

Bitter sweet
By msalp80

2006 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2006 Civic brand new. There were a few issues within the 1st 26000 miles. The battery and the engine had to be replaced right at 26k. I've read that this was a common problem with this model. The car was still under warranty during that time, so it wasn't a big deal. Then at around 80k miles or so my CD player went out. My warranty was up, so I opted not to get it fixed and just used my AUX input, to listen to my MP3. Other than that I hadn't had any mechanical problems until now, besides regular maintenance and my civic has 268k miles. I think she's about ready to quit on me. I haven't had it diagnosed yet but I think I'm going to retire her and get an Accord. $17k well spent.

Favorite Features

Updated digital dashboard, technologically savvy interior design. futuristic body style, AUX jack, gas mileage, low maintenance, lifetime oil changes after trade-in of older model.

Suggested Improvements

Make sun visors more durable. They were replaced twice and now they're both broken again. Better quality CD player because it should not have gone out so soon. Also, the paint fades horribly on the fenders and hood. It aged my car dramatically before it's time.

Love my Civic
By Kristy Torpin

2006 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I owned my 06 civic for two years. Driving in between the valley and la everyday. Only repairs that I had to make was replacing the starter. Other than that the car ran great! It doesn't have too much get up and go on the freeway. But it got me around great. I loved it!

Suggested Improvements

Blind spots in the front. Emergency break in weird spot for drivers that have long legs.

Unreliable in its later years
By _pioneer_

2006 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Look at the problems people are having with this generation of Civic at 8thcivic.com forums. My vehicle did not want to start and it was a key mobilizer problem. The sun visors kept falling down and blocking half of my vision and it took Honda years to issue a service bulletin to get it fixed. My driver window fell down inside the door TWICE due to a plastic clip. Now I just had the engine block crack and the dealership tells me a motor mount is broken and my transmission fluid is leaking a bit. I've had a 1983 & 1999 Civic and currently have a 2000 with 172K miles that has had less problems than this 2006 with 132K miles. Honda's cost cutting has made me buy a Sonata. Honda isn't the same.

Favorite Features

Fuel Efficiency is quite good. Engine doesn't feel devoid of power.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility is an absolute joke thanks to the bulbous front end and the long dash. Reliability is poor, again look at forums to see the problems people have, not here on Edmunds. Steering on the coupe is way overboosted. Suspension on the coupe is unnecessarily harsh. Interior plastics in the backseat area are not staying bolted/glued in. Honda itself never told me about the engine block problem, I had to call them after researching cracked engine blocks and found out this is a huge problem. If you want to buy one and the vehicle 2006-2009, be wary of this problem.

Great Car
By Gary

2006 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I love this car.Its a big/little vehicle.The gas mileage is unbelievable if I drive it under 65 on the highway 37 - 38 mpg is no problem. My daughter liked it so much she traded her Toyota Celica in to get one.

Favorite Features

The location of the speedometer

Suggested Improvements

I think the interior material could be a little more plush.