2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Honda Interior
By Hondared2006 on 03/20/09 02:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Major problems with interior and trim, panels on inside of car by roof and window. Honda had to re built a major engine part. When car was 2 years out of warranty. For the most the car is outstanding on gas. Handles and drives great. Lots of room in trunk. Comfortable! I just wish the interior was a little better.

O say can you see?
By carcare on 03/18/09 14:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I am surprised that I have not read more about the visibility problems with this car! I only have one bumper left without a scratch. You can not see the front of the car at all and the back is not much better. The car is also very low to the ground making it awkward to get in and out of. I love the gas mileage, the interior design but hate the visibility problem.

Economical and sensible but not much else
By craig on 03/18/09 04:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Owned this car for three years and have had no major problems -- Just two recalls for a tensioner bolt and drivers seat bracket bolt. Gas mileage is superb, but it is only a small 4 cyl. and you can notice the strain. As a prior poster mentioned, car is not good in the snow. Maybe too light? Have had difficulty ascending slight grades with only a coating of snow on the road. I have also had problems with traction on level streets from a stopped position. Interior constructed of VERY cheap plastics that scratch and mark seemingly from just looking at it wrong. Suspension squeaks during cold weather months. No momentum obtained on highway driving; have to keep your foot to the floor.

Good Buy
By nukeford on 03/10/09 14:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my Honda to cut my fuel costs. I had driven pickups for 20 years but the gas savings practically made the car payment. Being 6'1 I was impressed with the way I felt after my regular four hour drive. The car never had any problems except for a coupe of minor recalls. The downside of this car is its weight. You have to really hold on in heavy rain or snow. There have been numerous occasions when the snow buildup in the wheel wells caused some massive front end vibration.If you live in a warm climate this is the best car to get for fuel economy and comfort. If you are a DYI person you will more than likely have to get your trans fluid from the Honda dealer.

Just 'OK'
By jmart on 03/10/09 08:10 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Have had my 06 for 30 months and 61,000 miles. Only mechanical problems were - broken idle pulley, misaligned window (i.e fell off track). Yes, I average 36-38 mpg. Be prepared to live with: A TON of road noise, poor ride quality, constant shifting 5sp auto, poor power band esp with A/C on, and various (ever changing) rattling (ranging from the right front end to the rear shelf). I guess I expected better - maybe I need to lower ' the bar' of my expectations.

Si Good Buy
By Chuchlain on 01/31/09 21:57 PM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The car is great I bought the car used with 7000 miles on it. I average about 23-27 MPG in town and 30-35 freeway but on one trip was averaging 40 mpg. I have had only one complaint and that is I got the Si which came with Michelin Pilot MXMA tires great tires but the soft rubber I had to replace within 20k miles not a big deal since they are a strictly sport tire not made for snow or rainy conditions. So I got a all season sport tire and no problems. I would definitely recommend this car as only maintenance I have done is oil changes and I've had no problems.

Civic snow dilemma
By melekpod on 01/18/09 10:43 AM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Honda has been reliable in fair weather and rain, but snow, I find it a problem to get up some of the smallest hills. I bought a manual transmission hoping I would have more control in the snow. I thought it was the tires, so I bought new tires, still have the same problems. Also, I open the window and water seems to pour in on the controls when it's raining and rolling the window down usually has cleared the windows in past vehicles, but it doesn't, seems the like the rubber squeegy is on the wrong side of the window? Had a ford contour w/ no problems in snow.

Lemon?
By pam on 01/08/09 19:38 PM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the Honda because it was rated car of the year and was known to be a great car. I have had one problem after another, since the beginning. It was hesitant to start and the braking was not right. Honda could not find the problem. I was going thru one set of tires after another, and found out the upper control arm was damaging them. Then the a/c compressor choke went out costing over $1200 and now both headlights went out at once. Has anyone ever tried get to the headlight to replace it. Good luck! Only to find out it was the switch assembly costing another $480. Handles poor in snow, sun visor broke, paint chips all over and the interior is scratched. No more Hondas 4 me!

Great mpg - lacking on weight
By Ruth Mixon on 01/04/09 18:04 PM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

For the most part, the Honda Civic LX has been a fun car to drive, great mpg, 30-33 in town and 40-44 on highway. Almost as good as my motorcycle. Driving in windy and snow conditions can be tricky so slower speeds are the answer to keeping it in total control. If going on long distances in the winter, be prepared to drive 10 mph lower than other cars. Windy conditions can make you hold on pretty tightly. Light on the rear end makes snow driving a big hairy. The bucket seats can be a bit uncomfortable on long distance driving. Otherwise, it's a great car and a money saver.

The Ultimate in Affordability
By Geezyss on 12/04/08 01:20 AM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car when oil prices were skyrocketing and cannot believe how much it saved me! I was driving a 2005 Pontiac GP and only got 22 mpg on average. I get about 35 mpg with my Honda! My best tank was 43.2. My worst tank (on purpose) was 29.7. I just wish it was a 6 speed. I would like to see how much better I can get on the highway cruising at 1800-2000 RPMs instead of 3000. It is so much fun driving this beast. The new 1.8L engine purrs wonderfully. It can really get up and go fast. The new two-tier dash is pretty slick looking. I can always just see how fast I am going without taking my eyes off the road, which is nice without a cruise control feature. You will not be disappointed. :)

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.