Used 2006 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Bad product and customer service
By TU DOAN

2006 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This Honda Civic model is not reliable. Within 3 years, I had to replace 2 sun visors under bumper to bumper warranty. And the last sun visor broke very soon after my warranty expire. Total 3 sun visors broke under normal or lightly uses. At 42,000 miles, the engine died on free way in 07/2010. I almost got hit by a car behind me. The police had to push my car to the side to clear the traffic on the freeway. The pivot bolt broke the water bump and caused damages. Although my car was still under the Power-Train warranty but the Honda dealer keep my car for 1 week and didn't provide a free rental car. I was late and left early for work everyday. I will never buy cars made by Honda.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy

Suspension issues
By halfahawk

2006 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

New in '05. Great mileage around 40 mpg on the highway when i wasn't a lead foot. I had the same suspension problems as everyone else. Dealership replaced the control arms free of charge. I am now on my 4th set of tires at 70k. I was ready to get rid of it but I thought i'd replace the suspension and perhaps address partly the issue that causes the tire wear (rear tires toe in when under load). So i put new eibach springs and sway bars and tokico shocks. WOW! Its a whole different animal. It handles amazing now. No more squirmy rear end in the rain, doesn't feel like the rear end is going to fall off when i hit a bump. guess I'll keep it for a while longer now.

Favorite Features

mpg. looks. digital speedo (I thought i wouldn't like it). never left me sit. 5 years old, still looks new.

Suggested Improvements

Rear suspension. cheap speakers. cheap oem tires (pet peeve with any new car i ever bought)

06 Si
By Jefferson

2006 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe w/Summer Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Purchased car new in feb 06. Have 75K on it now (160 mi a day 2 work) Only problem has was rear wheel bearing dealership replaced for free. Replaced factory system and upgraded to a 15 in sub. Only problem is i've had to replace the spoiler twice since the sub beats and breaks the spiler off the deck lid and eventually falls apart. Seriously. Car does have problem with 3rd gear as a lot have mentioned. As far as performance not much can top for this price especially the style and power combined. Added K&N fuel injection performance kit and get 30mpg city 37mpg hwy. Happy with car which was designed better for systems but guess I'll shave those holes and have no spoiler. Otherwise great buy!

Favorite Features

6 speed, TV (i installed instead of navi), mpg, horsepower, look, style,

Suggested Improvements

Stronger design on spoiler and deck lid. A 15 in sub shouldn't crack the spoiler right down the seems and eventually fall off. Also only a 65amp alternator from factory. 65 amp! I had to upgrade to 240 amp for system. Also car should be a little lower

Reliable, efficient, sporty and fun!
By Michael

2006 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Had a brand new 2010 Mazda 3 but got rid of it to buy a 4-year-old used Honda Civic for half the price. I can't tell you how happy I am with this car. I get great gas mileage (37 with mixed city/hwy), which is easily 12 mpg better than the Mazda! The interior styling is excellent - I have the beige interior and its so open, light and airy, especially with the sunroof. The seats are spacious and comfortable, and the trunk gives me plenty of storage space for hauling stuff. Back seats are pretty big for a coupe. Love the layout of all the instrumentation, including the handy steering wheel mounted audio controls.

Favorite Features

Love the "heads up display" for fuel and speedometer. Interior illumination is futuristic and functional. Seats are very comfortable. fuel economy is outstanding. 5 speed manual is sporty, responsive and fun to drive. One-touch sunroof is nice. Aux input great for iPod. Excellent Honda reliability!

Suggested Improvements

For a 4-year-old vehicle purchased in fall 2010, it has everything I would expect and more. A USB input and built-in Bluetooth would be nice, but these are far from necessary. Only real complaint is the speakers: for a "Premium" audio system, they're rather poor and rattle a lot.

Suspension problem
By steve

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The 2006, and 2007 Honda Civics have a rear suspension geometry problem that causes rapid rear tire wear, roaring noise from the rear and vibrations at highway speeds. See Honda Service Bulletin 08-001. Mine has had this problem and working with the dealer and Honda America it still hasn't been resolved. Looking at blogs it seems to be a common problem that has caused a few accidents and worries over possible fatal accident occurring with tire separation.

Suggested Improvements

Honda needs to fix the problem and the government needs to do a recall.