Used 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Most Helpful|
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L
By 2006 Honda Civic Hyb

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navi (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This performs well and has good interior & exterior styling & solid build quality. My wife had to have it and it has been an outstanding purchase. We purchased the 7 year 120,000 extended warranty for $1200 and probably won't need it. Excellent MPG and reliable. I have used Amsoil 0- 20 SYN oil and the mileage has been excellent. Fun to drive and will keep this one for a long time. 23000 miles with no problems.

Favorite Features

Outstanding MPG: worst mileage was 44 MPG and the best was 51 MPG: average 46- 48 MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Bridgestone tires are noisy and there was improvement after replacing them with Goodyear, after the wife hit a curb and ruined one of the Bridgestones at 19000.

Unique, purely Unique
By Frank

I expected nothing less from Honda. The car delivers excellent performance and reliability. One can only say it outperforms what Honda states. This is the quietest car on the market. You do not even hear it start. An impressive achievement. While Toyota makes a good hybrid, Honda has kept the price down and delivered an amazing driving experience. I am achieving 45+ miles to the gallon. I drive to my clients homes for a living and I spend lots of hours in this car. Having come from Beemers and high end cars I expected this to be a let down - NOT! You will be proud to own this car and you will be saving the environment.

Favorite Features

Navigation system, quiet factor, smooth transmission, INCREDIBLE gas mileage. This is nothing like the cars of the 70's that had to use diesel, gave off that terrible smell and were extremely noisy.

Suggested Improvements

If I could have one wish, I would like to be able to upgrade the radio through Honda. I like buying Honda products as they have achieved milestones. No big deal, I went to my local dealer and he gave me the name of who the dealership uses for radio upgrades. Need I say more?

LOVE my Civic Hybrid!
By dev87

Bought this car in November 2009 after making a move to Arkansas. I purchased it with only 48,000 miles on it, plus I lucked out because it is fully loaded with Navi and AUX input for my iPod. Had to drive two hours to Tulsa to get it but it was well worth it; the drive home was so much fun I didnt want to get out of the car when we finally made it back! Its been to Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and Tennessee, and I am always the one volunteering to drive because I love it so much. The turn signals on the mirrors are an awesome touch. Has been in the shop twice but only for recall fixes. Would absolutely buy again

Favorite Features

GAS MILEAGE!! Navi, turn signals on mirrors, spacious enough for 5'7" and 6'1" drivers, big back seats for 60+lb Golden Retriever

Suggested Improvements

Would have loved a sunroof. Only thing I miss about my 99 Accord

First Honda - Can't Stop Driving
By kyle

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I find myself looking for reasons to drive somewhere, simply because driving this car is so fun. This is my first Honda and it has been a treat. I wish the hybrid still was able to have fold down seats in back but that is currently where the batteries are located. I have had to relearn how to drive because if I drive normally, I won't get near the high MPG I bought this car for. If I watch what I'm doing, it's ok. Drove a 150 mile trip, mostly freeway and got 47 MPG. In city, I get a solid 40 MPG. Car is really jerky in the 7-9 mph range. It feels like it can't decide whether to shut the engine off or not.

Favorite Features

Digital dash, maintenance minder so I don't have to remember when to take the car in, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Find a new location for batteries so we can fold down rear seats, need faster and smoother acceleration and low speed driving.

VERY Disappointed
By dev87

Bought my 2006 Civic Hybrid in 2009 from a dealer. Was told by the dealer that the vehicle had not been in an accident, but that was a lie. Though that it is not Honda's fault, I can say that I am extremely disappointed on how the car has deteriorated since I got it. Had to replace the 12v battery, Hybrid battery needed an update in 2010 which made my MPG worse, and recently my compressor went out, which is a $1700 fix. Dealer retail is now $2000 less than what I paid 3 years ago, plus if I take into account the replacement of the compressor, I am a good $4000 in the hole. Not something I am willing to fork over for a car that has only gone downhill.

Favorite Features

MPG is decent, averaging 37-40MPG, but it was 30-35MPG when my AC was working. Now that I am not running my AC, I am actually getting BETTER MPG. Go figure. Like the Navi and Aux port, plus it is fun and very easy to drive. Sucks that I have put so much into the car and gotten so little out of it.

Suggested Improvements

MPG (not the 50 that was advertised) Poor engine build quality