Used 2006 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 888 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Unreliable in its later years
By _pioneer_

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Look at the problems people are having with this generation of Civic at 8thcivic.com forums. My vehicle did not want to start and it was a key mobilizer problem. The sun visors kept falling down and blocking half of my vision and it took Honda years to issue a service bulletin to get it fixed. My driver window fell down inside the door TWICE due to a plastic clip. Now I just had the engine block crack and the dealership tells me a motor mount is broken and my transmission fluid is leaking a bit.

I've had a 1983 & 1999 Civic and currently have a 2000 with 172K miles that has had less problems than this 2006 with 132K miles. Honda's cost cutting has made me buy a Sonata. Honda isn't the same.

Fuel Efficiency is quite good. Engine doesn't feel devoid of power.

Visibility is an absolute joke thanks to the bulbous front end and the long dash. Reliability is poor, again look at forums to see the problems people have, not here on Edmunds. Steering on the coupe is way overboosted. Suspension on the coupe is unnecessarily harsh. Interior plastics in the backseat area are not staying bolted/glued in. Honda itself never told me about the engine block problem, I had to call them after researching cracked engine blocks and found out this is a huge problem. If you want to buy one and the vehicle 2006-2009, be wary of this problem.

Great little car
By iacivic06

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Civic in November of 2005, one of the first 8th gen civics in my area.
It been a great car, very reliable and perform well.
With the exception of check engine light for and 02 sensor twice, I have not had it in the shop for anything.
It still looks great.

This car is fun to drive, it's got snappy acceleration, stops on a dime, easy to get in and out of cramped parking places. Gas mileage is great, just keep the tires properly inflated, the air filter clean and add STP complete fuel system cleaner after every oil change. You will get between 350 and 400 miles per tank. The trunk has a lot of space

Blind spots caused by thick rear window posts.

Civic SUCKs!
By bigblueguy2012

2006 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a brand new 2006 Civic I thought it would be cool because of their new design. I had this car for more than 6yrs now. Well, I had 2 Major problems with this car and bad service experience with the dealership. My first major problem with 06' Civic was an Engine Block recall. Secondly, 06' Civic broke down in the middle of the road due to computer/wire problem. This car has 55,000 mileage and never used it for a long drive and never been a abuse driver. Anyways, obviously this car is absolute FAILURE! and i will never drive/buy HONDA CARS ever! and NEVER RECOMMEND!.

None!!!

Cars and Dealerships

Unparalleled
By 006_si

2006 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe w/Summer Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have had this car for 6.5 years and can confidently say that it is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.
Performance is superb.
Handling is absurdly exciting!
As a daily driver, though, it is beautifully well-behaved and placid.
Gas mileage is perfectly acceptable, even when you drive it like a speed-demon.

Holds its value extremely well! I can see why: I've had mine for years and would NEVER sell it. In a sense, the residual is a moot point for me because I'll never cash in on it. The audio system is great. The seats are super-comfy. It is the engine and drivetrain that make this puppy stand out, however. There is little more fun I've had in a car (wink-wink) than going 0-120 mph in the Si... on a race track, of course (again, wink-wink).

The summer tires are amazingly high-performance (I could pull a 3K launch without a single squeak, every time: just face-removing traction remained), BUT the semi-annual changeover is a PITA. Just stick with a good set of UHPAS tires, and keep them on year-round. The twelve seconds a year you'll need the almighty Michelins for just aren't worth the maintenance bother. Better by far to get some forged aluminum racing wheels. The rear suspension has a minor fault - more importantly. It has no camber adjust mechanism. If you bounce over a few potholes and take some damage you'll be out a few hundred just to straighten everything out. I ate up a pair of tires in about 600 miles that way.

used 2006
By june1986

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

just bought this baby for 11k with 101k miles, looks new, runs great. 41 mpg so far avg(first week) im still learning how to drive more efficently and its fun! i was looking at the FT-86 but decided to wait and got this in the meantime. i thought i would be disappointed but once i saw it in the metal and sat inside that all changed. great for adventures and wallets(30$ to fill up and first tank i got 460miles).

I would like it if i had more control over the assist and charging features.