2006 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews 6

2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Cracked Engine Block
By stp44122 on 09/24/09 05:51 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This WAS a fun car to own, but I'm not buying another Honda. I've had this since January 2006 putting 71,000 miles (95% highway) on the vehicle. I followed all oil changes, all servicing AT THE DEALER WHERE I BOUGHT THE VEHICLE. There is a TSB, 08-044 where they admit that all 2006, 2007, 2008 Civic Sedans have this design or casting flaw AND YOUR ENGINE WILL CRACK! It's just a matter of time. Hopefully it will be during the warranty (as most have been), and you'll get your engine replaced. If not, you're in my boat, called the DOT, State Attorney General, Better Business Bureau, and Honda trying to get their design or casting flaw fixed. I've never had to replace a Toyota engine.

I love it!
By Stabi on 09/22/09 08:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have had this car for three thousand miles and I love it! The shifts are always smooth, has adequate pickup in low rpm range if you want to get good gas mileage, but stomp down on the gas and you really go! Disappointed with quality of peripherals. Bought the car used with 53k, after 1k miles needed a new idler pulley. Fixed the idler pulley and they told me that the tensioner pulley bearing is going bad too. Not to mention spending 10 hours getting my third gear fixed. While I did that I had to get my sun visor replaced ($75) it was falling apart. All in the first month of my owning (53-54k miles).

It's a Lemon - Many Parts Have Failed
By JohnnyM on 09/09/09 16:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Many parts failed: rear wheel bearings- 28K; rear shocks-38K; A/C compressor- 15K; now, front strut-55K; horn-56K; Nav system--stopped working for 1 day, came back the next (54K); visors, break-3X (told they weren't made for Arizona)-15K,34K, 51K; cruise control- often won't engage (told that brake pedal part fails, so "just push down hard on brake" - 39K); ft. brake calibers-defect (22K); recall-starter- fire danger-40K. Honda North America will not stand behind product -says " "...it's too bad...not our problem, it's yours." This is our 3rd Honda, 2nd Civic - never had any real problems until this. Car REALLY slow from start, but then ok; 4-wheel disk brakes shudder and under-responsive.

First Hybrid, FUN to drive
By RI N8TIV on 09/03/09 12:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased in KC for $11,000 with 76K miles. Traded in a 2006 Mercedes E350 for this gem. I have only owned the car for one week, but I love that I am averaging over 45mpg on my 70+ mile commute to work. Snappy handling and decent highway pickup make for a fun drive. Acceleration from a stand-still will not break your neck, but it is adequate.

Fun Car
By dmoney03 on 09/02/09 15:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe w/Summer Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The first year I had it, I drove it over 23,000 miles. It is fun to drive, but the long trips aren't the most comfortable for a 6' guy. Fuel economy is around 31 mpg on the interstate and 25 mpg around town. I keep it well maintained. That might be the reason for such mileage. It has plenty of power and response. It does seem to be a little heavy coming around the corners, but it will hold the whole way. The only complaint I have, is the rattle in the rear speaker deck from the sub and speakers. My personal opinion is, get the lip kit. It makes it look so much better and aggressive.

First Honda - Can't Stop Driving
By kyle on 08/12/09 11:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I find myself looking for reasons to drive somewhere, simply because driving this car is so fun. This is my first Honda and it has been a treat. I wish the hybrid still was able to have fold down seats in back but that is currently where the batteries are located. I have had to relearn how to drive because if I drive normally, I won't get near the high MPG I bought this car for. If I watch what I'm doing, it's ok. Drove a 150 mile trip, mostly freeway and got 47 MPG. In city, I get a solid 40 MPG. Car is really jerky in the 7-9 mph range. It feels like it can't decide whether to shut the engine off or not.

Comfortable, Quick, Great MPG!
By Greg on 07/25/09 11:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I replaced my 2001 Accord with the 2006 Civic looking for better MPG and handling; I got what I was looking for! It was a strange looking car at the time but since then more and more cars have the bullet shaped frame.

Saved My Life!
By Jennifer on 07/23/09 14:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2006 Honda Civic and drove it for 2 1/2 years. LOVED it! Smooth, has great power, comfortable, perfect size. In August of 2008 I was rear ended in the fast lane of a 4-lane freeway. I was struck so hard my car flew sideways into the next lane where my drivers side door slammed into the back end of another car at a 90 degree angle. I then flew across 2 more lanes of traffic, up the embankment and into the scrub trees. I walked away with a bruised arm and a cracked rib. No whiplash, no serious broken bones. My car was totaled, but I found had retained 100% of it's value! His insurance gave me exactly what I'd paid for it 2 1/2 years earlier! I went out and bought a 2008 Honda Civic!

I miss my '96 Accord
By grace2007 on 07/13/09 15:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the Civic because it was close in size to my '96 Accord and the price was right. I didn't realize that squirrels find my wiring harness so tasty and I've had to spend over $500 repairing. I asked if there is anything that can be done to protect the wiring harness. Nope. Evidently they like the foam that surrounds it. At 34k I need a real ABS sensor and was told it was covered under warranty. Went to pickup the car and had to pay for it in order to get my car back. I have loved Honda's but they need to get a 10yr 100000k warranty. Next time I will look at a Hyundai. One more thing...the dash and glove box rattles terrible. No fix for that either.

Civic
By me on 07/02/09 11:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have been very pleased with my Civic. Alot of people hate the interior but I enjoy the futuristic looks. The seats are very sturdy and comfortable, although the plastic and paint is like many said cheap and scratches easily. Sunroof, Ipod hookup, multiple airbags, digital speedometer have all been nice features. This car does get excellent gas mileage BUT at a price for power... very very poor passing power on 2 lane roads. With all that said it has been a very reliable car, just the normal wear and tear upkeep.