Used 2006 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Poorly Built, Unreliable Honda
By drgoodson on 05/13/13 22:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new and I am very unhappy with it. I first had the problem with the struts/supports in the rear end. One place thought it was bad shocks, but a former Honda certified mechanic figured it out and replaced them after I had worn out 2 sets of tires. Now I've just had the problem with the belt tensioner bolt, although my car was not recalled, and that cost me another chunk of change. I previously owned 3 used Hondas and they were all very good and reliable cars. Not so with this one, so I would advise everyone not to buy one of these as a used car. No more Hondas for me based upon my very poor experience with this car! Whatever happened to Honda reliability?

Poor Reliability
By jessecornel on 05/10/13 14:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

From the time that we bought this vehicle new from a dealer, we have been disapointed. Within a few weeks the battery failed, and was replaced. Within a year the condensor of the airconditer failed and was replaced. Due a manufacturers defect the exhause bubbled the rear plastic bumper, and Honda denied responsibility. At 35000 miles the struts wore out and honda denied responsibility. At 60000 miles the air conditioning compressor failed. At 75000 miles both the front struts and rear shocks failed causing a $900 repair and then a new set of tires. So the struts failed twice in 75000 miles. There is no warranty, and Honda denies culpability.

QUALITY, COMFORT, SAFETY
By molloy10 on 04/18/13 16:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have had "0" problems with my Civic. the car has performed better than I expected when I received the car in 2006. I had a minor front end collision back in 2008 and the service/collision team at rick case handled the repair quickly and to my satisfaction. I hope to be a Honda customer for a long time thanks to the great service at Rick Case.

Some thoughts about my 06 civic LX coupe (manual)
By jack_handy on 12/14/12 11:24 AM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car "newish" as a dealer demo from Richmond Hill Honda with +- 12,000 km on it. I had the HPF skirt package installed before I bought it. Today, (Dec 2012) I have over 210k kms on it. I sometimes tow a 700lb trailer with it for camping, I lug a car full of DJ gear with it too. This car's been a delight - a REAL PERFORMER. Muffler went at 100k, front rotors at 150k, battery after 4 yrs; all typical stuff if you ask me. I do the plugs myself and do all the other stuff on schedule. "This car doesn't owe me nothin' :) " and has been 100% reliable ALWAYS. Clearcoat on the hood has failed (cracked/split) and others have experienced same (on forums); I'm living with it.

Best Honda I've owned so far!
By hondaluv3r2006 on 12/06/12 10:27 AM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my civic from a private party back in March of 2012 with 136,000 miles already on it. All I can say so far since I've owned it is one word... Awsome! Even with so many miles on it I've had zero major problems with it. Only minor problem so far was I had to replace the cowling along the base of the winshield due to the passenger side became unclipped and interfered with wiper arm operation. Bought and installed the part myself and problem gone. Also part of the plastic handle on the ebrake is coming lose but still works just fine. It's my first Civic, but I've always driven Hondas cause of their long history of durability. Way to go Honda!! Keep bringing us the good cars we love!!

GREAT
By mendezaldo on 11/20/12 00:20 AM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the car in '06 and has had 130,000 miles. The car had yet broken down or had any signs of slowing down. The interior is comfortable with cool digital speedometer. Very smooth ride and great brakes. Unfortunately, I got in a car accident and totaled my civic completely. The car flipped over and landed upside down. Miraculously, I only came out with a few scratches and bruises. I did not break anything at all and was on my feet the same day! This car is a great, safe, car for any person. Good Job Honda.

Transmission fails at 93k
By cchlebek on 10/27/12 06:19 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car new in the fall of 06 to enjoy more than double the fuel economy of my pickup truck. I was not disappointed as most tanks averaged in the upper 30s. I was considering a cobalt at the time but went with something that was predicted to hold its value better as I wanted to drive it until it died. It died at just over 90k miles with a bad transmission solenoid. (cost $3k to fix) I just couldn't believe a "reliable Honda" could require a rebuilt transmission with less than 100k miles. I've been driving the Cruze for almost a year now and the handling in snow is so much more secure than the Civic.

VERY Disappointed
By dev87 on 08/23/12 10:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navi (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my 2006 Civic Hybrid in 2009 from a dealer. Was told by the dealer that the vehicle had not been in an accident, but that was a lie. Though that it is not Honda's fault, I can say that I am extremely disappointed on how the car has deteriorated since I got it. Had to replace the 12v battery, Hybrid battery needed an update in 2010 which made my MPG worse, and recently my compressor went out, which is a $1700 fix. Dealer retail is now $2000 less than what I paid 3 years ago, plus if I take into account the replacement of the compressor, I am a good $4000 in the hole. Not something I am willing to fork over for a car that has only gone downhill.

Unreliable in its later years
By _pioneer_ on 05/06/12 17:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Look at the problems people are having with this generation of Civic at 8thcivic.com forums. My vehicle did not want to start and it was a key mobilizer problem. The sun visors kept falling down and blocking half of my vision and it took Honda years to issue a service bulletin to get it fixed. My driver window fell down inside the door TWICE due to a plastic clip. Now I just had the engine block crack and the dealership tells me a motor mount is broken and my transmission fluid is leaking a bit. I've had a 1983 & 1999 Civic and currently have a 2000 with 172K miles that has had less problems than this 2006 with 132K miles. Honda's cost cutting has made me buy a Sonata. Honda isn't the same.

Great little car
By iacivic06 on 03/19/12 12:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Civic in November of 2005, one of the first 8th gen civics in my area. It been a great car, very reliable and perform well. With the exception of check engine light for and 02 sensor twice, I have not had it in the shop for anything. It still looks great.