Used 2006 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

My Two Cents
By gkh3

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2006 Civic LX coupe new in July 2006. After nearly 9 years and 85,000 miles this car has been just about problem free... averaging over 30 mpg consistently. Yes, the ride is bouncy and yes it can be loud but I knew that going in. If you want super quiet and cushy... get a Cadillac. My only regret is not getting the ex version.

Love the paint color: Atomic Blue. Seating position perfect for me. Consistently great gas mileage.

Not a super fan of the digital speedo... but have gotten used to is. B-Pillars create massive blind spots... be careful backing up. Paint became worn right above rear window... repainted for free (class action lawsuit). Rearview mirrors not hinged and I have taken the drivers side one out twice. Drivers side visor fell apart... replaced (free: another class action lawsuit)... now the other one is going which I am now going to have to pay for to fix... grrrr.

Bitter sweet
By msalp80

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2006 Civic brand new. There were a few issues within the 1st 26000 miles. The battery and the engine had to be replaced right at 26k. I've read that this was a common problem with this model. The car was still under warranty during that time, so it wasn't a big deal. Then at around 80k miles or so my CD player went out. My warranty was up, so I opted not to get it fixed and just used my AUX input, to listen to my MP3. Other than that I hadn't had any mechanical problems until now, besides regular maintenance and my civic has 268k miles. I think she's about ready to quit on me. I haven't had it diagnosed yet but I think I'm going to retire her and get an Accord. $17k well spent.

Updated digital dashboard, technologically savvy interior design. futuristic body style, AUX jack, gas mileage, low maintenance, lifetime oil changes after trade-in of older model.

Make sun visors more durable. They were replaced twice and now they're both broken again. Better quality CD player because it should not have gone out so soon. Also, the paint fades horribly on the fenders and hood. It aged my car dramatically before it's time.

Fun reliable car with minor fixable issues
By nunoa

2006 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned this car from 40k to its current 80k mileage. It is fun to drive, especially above 5k rpm, and has been very reliable. The major maintenance I've done is replacing the battery (~40k miles), brakes (~65k), and tires. There was an issue with the engine running roughly when warming up in the winter, but an ECU update for ~$40 fixed that issue. A common problem with 3rd gear was entirely fixed by replacing the manual transmission fluid with Amsoil at ~50k miles. The upper rear control arms have some excessive negative camber (around -2*) and this has caused increased tire wear on the rears, but rotation would fix that problem.

Shifter and clutch feel--some of the best I've found in a car. General reliability. Exhaust/engine sound. Highway mileage is pretty good at ~32 mpg in the summer, but gets ~100 miles less range than my previous 2006 Civic EX.

Sightlines are partially obscured by the chunky pillars on either side of the windshield and require extra caution while driving near pedestrians. Replace upper rear camber arms to decrease the negative camber. More torque at lower rpms. The rear quarter panels are starting to rust. While not unexpected after 8 years in the northeast, I thought Honda had this problem area figured out as it has been going on since at least the 1992 Preludes.

Good all around vehicle
By gdheart07

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I own a 92 Acura Vigor and a 2007 Honda Odyssey along with my 06 Civic. Contrary to the complaints that I have viewed here, our Civic has been a champion. The handling fits between my Vigor and Odyssey. It handles crisp like my Vigor without the stiff ride. It gets 40 mpg with the a/c on at 77 mph. I just replaced the rear brake pads at 74,000. It is only on its second set of tires. Knock on wood, I'll keep it as long as it continues to perform like it has.

Handling, dependability and outstanding gas mileage - 40 mpg on highway a/c on.

Driver side visor, driver side speaker and front accessory plug.

What's the problem?
By xcivicx_1259

2006 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A lot of people are really bashing on this Civic, people need to realize that Honda has ALWAYS been bad for road noise. It has always had a rough ride and has never had comfortable seating. If you want that kind of car, go buy a Cadillac. Next, if the exterior doesn't align DON'T BUY IT. It is the companies fault, not something you should take on. Also a lot of people complain about the car and they drive like idiots and don't take care of it. For the tranny issues. Just buy a manual, it is a lot easier to service a clutch than a auto transmission. It solves the gutless problem as well because of the direct drive, there is no slippage opposed to the auto.

Interior and Exterior Design, people call it cheap. But those people are also the ones who drive their vehicles into the ground and don't care for them.

Just the control arm in the rear suspension to help with the wear of the tires. If you get it fixed quickly then the problem does not cost hardly any money. Also the window angle does need changing for most people because of glare. Being over 6 feet tall, I do not have a problem with it though. Another solution is to buy polarized sunglasses when you drive.