2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
GREAT
By mendezaldo on 11/20/12 00:20 AM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the car in '06 and has had 130,000 miles. The car had yet broken down or had any signs of slowing down. The interior is comfortable with cool digital speedometer. Very smooth ride and great brakes. Unfortunately, I got in a car accident and totaled my civic completely. The car flipped over and landed upside down. Miraculously, I only came out with a few scratches and bruises. I did not break anything at all and was on my feet the same day! This car is a great, safe, car for any person. Good Job Honda.

Transmission fails at 93k
By cchlebek on 10/27/12 06:19 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car new in the fall of 06 to enjoy more than double the fuel economy of my pickup truck. I was not disappointed as most tanks averaged in the upper 30s. I was considering a cobalt at the time but went with something that was predicted to hold its value better as I wanted to drive it until it died. It died at just over 90k miles with a bad transmission solenoid. (cost $3k to fix) I just couldn't believe a "reliable Honda" could require a rebuilt transmission with less than 100k miles. I've been driving the Cruze for almost a year now and the handling in snow is so much more secure than the Civic.

VERY Disappointed
By dev87 on 08/23/12 10:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navi (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my 2006 Civic Hybrid in 2009 from a dealer. Was told by the dealer that the vehicle had not been in an accident, but that was a lie. Though that it is not Honda's fault, I can say that I am extremely disappointed on how the car has deteriorated since I got it. Had to replace the 12v battery, Hybrid battery needed an update in 2010 which made my MPG worse, and recently my compressor went out, which is a $1700 fix. Dealer retail is now $2000 less than what I paid 3 years ago, plus if I take into account the replacement of the compressor, I am a good $4000 in the hole. Not something I am willing to fork over for a car that has only gone downhill.

Unreliable in its later years
By _pioneer_ on 05/06/12 17:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Look at the problems people are having with this generation of Civic at 8thcivic.com forums. My vehicle did not want to start and it was a key mobilizer problem. The sun visors kept falling down and blocking half of my vision and it took Honda years to issue a service bulletin to get it fixed. My driver window fell down inside the door TWICE due to a plastic clip. Now I just had the engine block crack and the dealership tells me a motor mount is broken and my transmission fluid is leaking a bit. I've had a 1983 & 1999 Civic and currently have a 2000 with 172K miles that has had less problems than this 2006 with 132K miles. Honda's cost cutting has made me buy a Sonata. Honda isn't the same.

Great little car
By iacivic06 on 03/19/12 12:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Civic in November of 2005, one of the first 8th gen civics in my area. It been a great car, very reliable and perform well. With the exception of check engine light for and 02 sensor twice, I have not had it in the shop for anything. It still looks great.

Civic SUCKs!
By bigblueguy2012 on 02/06/12 10:10 AM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a brand new 2006 Civic I thought it would be cool because of their new design. I had this car for more than 6yrs now. Well, I had 2 Major problems with this car and bad service experience with the dealership. My first major problem with 06' Civic was an Engine Block recall. Secondly, 06' Civic broke down in the middle of the road due to computer/wire problem. This car has 55,000 mileage and never used it for a long drive and never been a abuse driver. Anyways, obviously this car is absolute FAILURE! and i will never drive/buy HONDA CARS ever! and NEVER RECOMMEND!.

Unparalleled
By 006_si on 12/13/11 18:00 PM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe w/Summer Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have had this car for 6.5 years and can confidently say that it is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Performance is superb. Handling is absurdly exciting! As a daily driver, though, it is beautifully well-behaved and placid. Gas mileage is perfectly acceptable, even when you drive it like a speed-demon.

used 2006
By june1986 on 12/07/11 10:10 AM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

just bought this baby for 11k with 101k miles, looks new, runs great. 41 mpg so far avg(first week) im still learning how to drive more efficently and its fun! i was looking at the FT-86 but decided to wait and got this in the meantime. i thought i would be disappointed but once i saw it in the metal and sat inside that all changed. great for adventures and wallets(30$ to fill up and first tank i got 460miles).

Going strong after 6 years
By viccard on 11/28/11 13:14 PM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car in Jan 2006, since then put 110K miles on. Had all the common problems described here: had rear bearings replaced by the dealership at 20-30K miles. My sun-visor is held by couple giant paper clips. Transmission would sometimes skip 3rd gear (happens once in a year, goes back to normal after restart). Most of the backlights under the heat/AC buttons are burned out. Battery died at 3 years. Power outlet and door lock had to be fixed. Seems like a long list but really it's perfectly usable and all non-warranty covered repairs totalled to ~$300 over 6 years. There is no timing belt to change (it has timing chain). Rear brakes lasted 100K miles before needing replacement.

LOVE my Civic Hybrid!
By dev87 on 11/22/11 18:25 PM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navi (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car in November 2009 after making a move to Arkansas. I purchased it with only 48,000 miles on it, plus I lucked out because it is fully loaded with Navi and AUX input for my iPod. Had to drive two hours to Tulsa to get it but it was well worth it; the drive home was so much fun I didnt want to get out of the car when we finally made it back! Its been to Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and Tennessee, and I am always the one volunteering to drive because I love it so much. The turn signals on the mirrors are an awesome touch. Has been in the shop twice but only for recall fixes. Would absolutely buy again

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.