Used 2006 Honda Civic Si Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic Si - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great car
By Justin

2006 Honda Civic Si Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is a great, reliable car. I have over 150,000 miles on it and it's been holding up very well. Also had an accident and repair was relatively inexpensive.

Note: I rated the technology above based on the year the car was made - 2006.

A great used car or just a lot of problems?
By cowsgonemadd3@gmail.com

2006 Honda Civic Si Si 2dr Coupe w/Summer Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I normally would not post a car review. I think my experience with my Honda has made me change my mind. Most consider Honda to be reliable. Over 3 Honda's I have found almost the opposite. Lets start off with the great things about the car. I get 28 to 29mpg consistently. For the speed the car has, I consider this good. As of 2015, there are cars that get better and are a lot faster though. Reports from actual owners say the EPA is off though. I can only speak for my car and say the fuel mileage is good. The seats, they are great. Best seats I have sat in short of luxury cars. I prefer cloth seats over backside burning leather in the summer months. The car is almost 10 years old and they have held up great. The head room is great and so is the front leg room. I am 6' 3" and I can even get in the back but its cramped. Its quite a peppy car, 0 to 60 time in like 6.7 seconds. Not too bad for a 4 cylinder made now, many years ago.

The bad:

Honda reliability is once again(as I said I have owned 3 Hondas) just not what its made out to be. Honda had an issue with 3rd gear not working right. They finally did a recall and my car went in for the recall. Years later, 3rd gear pops out at times and has to be put in with force. No, its not the syncors. It works most of the time but can still be a problem at times.

Road noise is unreasonable in this car. Mine is worse than some because of the low profile tires but it is still not good.

It rides very rough. Its one of the biggest reasons I plan to get rid of the car. While it hugs the road and you feel safe, you also feel every hole in the road and its like riding on a horse and buggy to work.

The back tires get eaten away on the inside. Honda did a recall for this after a class action lawsuit was filed. I had mine fixed by Honda but to this day the inside of the tires still wear faster than the rest of the tire. It has helped but did not fully fix the problem. Alignments help but it does not seem to stay in alignment long.

The timing chain failed at 145k miles. I had to pay 1500 bucks plus towing fee's to get a "never maintenance" issue fixed.

The rear view mirror is falling apart from the inside and has areas that no longer work.

Now for the biggest problem, the paint. Honda did a TSB on paint for certain colors. My color was one of them they did not offer to fix but just the hood area. I now have almost no paint on my roof and the paint on the side pillars is starting to come off. I also see areas on the trunk that look like they are starting to fail. I called Honda of America only to be told my car was too old and too high mileage. I told them how it was failing in the same areas and way in which the recalled colors were and all I got was that it was not a recall but a TSB. They would not even offer to help pay for the over 1000 dollars in paint repairs this car now needs. They said over 800 for just the roof. Might be well over 1000 now that the paint is failing in other areas.

Honda knows they had faulty paint. My car now unless fixed, will have very little of that wonderful Honda re-sell value. The paint is nothing new for Honda, my 2004 accord had paint falling off of it when I sold it.

I like the car but not enough to recommend it to anyone unless you get it cheap.

Fun reliable car with minor fixable issues
By nunoa

2006 Honda Civic Si Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned this car from 40k to its current 80k mileage. It is fun to drive, especially above 5k rpm, and has been very reliable. The major maintenance I've done is replacing the battery (~40k miles), brakes (~65k), and tires. There was an issue with the engine running roughly when warming up in the winter, but an ECU update for ~$40 fixed that issue. A common problem with 3rd gear was entirely fixed by replacing the manual transmission fluid with Amsoil at ~50k miles. The upper rear control arms have some excessive negative camber (around -2*) and this has caused increased tire wear on the rears, but rotation would fix that problem.

Shifter and clutch feel--some of the best I've found in a car. General reliability. Exhaust/engine sound. Highway mileage is pretty good at ~32 mpg in the summer, but gets ~100 miles less range than my previous 2006 Civic EX.

Sightlines are partially obscured by the chunky pillars on either side of the windshield and require extra caution while driving near pedestrians. Replace upper rear camber arms to decrease the negative camber. More torque at lower rpms. The rear quarter panels are starting to rust. While not unexpected after 8 years in the northeast, I thought Honda had this problem area figured out as it has been going on since at least the 1992 Preludes.

Unparalleled
By 006_si

2006 Honda Civic Si Si 2dr Coupe w/Summer Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have had this car for 6.5 years and can confidently say that it is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.
Performance is superb.
Handling is absurdly exciting!
As a daily driver, though, it is beautifully well-behaved and placid.
Gas mileage is perfectly acceptable, even when you drive it like a speed-demon.

Holds its value extremely well! I can see why: I've had mine for years and would NEVER sell it. In a sense, the residual is a moot point for me because I'll never cash in on it. The audio system is great. The seats are super-comfy. It is the engine and drivetrain that make this puppy stand out, however. There is little more fun I've had in a car (wink-wink) than going 0-120 mph in the Si... on a race track, of course (again, wink-wink).

The summer tires are amazingly high-performance (I could pull a 3K launch without a single squeak, every time: just face-removing traction remained), BUT the semi-annual changeover is a PITA. Just stick with a good set of UHPAS tires, and keep them on year-round. The twelve seconds a year you'll need the almighty Michelins for just aren't worth the maintenance bother. Better by far to get some forged aluminum racing wheels. The rear suspension has a minor fault - more importantly. It has no camber adjust mechanism. If you bounce over a few potholes and take some damage you'll be out a few hundred just to straighten everything out. I ate up a pair of tires in about 600 miles that way.

inflated popularity hype
By angelwings1

2006 Honda Civic Si Si 2dr Coupe w/Navi, Summer Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Do you know what car sales people do when its slow? They create free email accounts, fake user names and positive experiences and then post them on this and other consumer review web sites.
Wow did this car put me on a financial roller coaster. If you think reliability when you think Honda, you have been brainwashed.
Everywhere, I mean everywhere I took this car for a repair, I would get a report card of failing components with price tags and labor costs equal to 20 percent of the value of the car! I bought this car twice after 4 years, I mean, the same car cost me 22,000 in maintenance and purchase price was 22,000 4 years B4.
Best advice if you like this car, buy one new, sell after a yr.

Driving it after it was repaired, knowing I had a month before it would break down. It gave me time to save some money for the next repair. Also, the day I sold the car.

Quality control for the steel used in components like control arms and steering stabilizers, these are felonious in their ability to maintain integrity of safely controlling the vehicle.