Used 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Suspension issues
By halfahawk

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

New in '05. Great mileage around 40 mpg on the highway when i wasn't a lead foot. I had the same suspension problems as everyone else. Dealership replaced the control arms free of charge. I am now on my 4th set of tires at 70k. I was ready to get rid of it but I thought i'd replace the suspension and perhaps address partly the issue that causes the tire wear (rear tires toe in when under load). So i put new eibach springs and sway bars and tokico shocks. WOW! Its a whole different animal. It handles amazing now. No more squirmy rear end in the rain, doesn't feel like the rear end is going to fall off when i hit a bump. guess I'll keep it for a while longer now.

Favorite Features

mpg. looks. digital speedo (I thought i wouldn't like it). never left me sit. 5 years old, still looks new.

Suggested Improvements

Rear suspension. cheap speakers. cheap oem tires (pet peeve with any new car i ever bought)

Satisfied customer
By Steve

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this Civic for work when my daily drive became 55 miles each way. 25 freeway and 30 mountain switchbacks. The fuel savings have paid for my car. The only problems in 80000 miles have been the sun visors and the OEM Bridgestone tires wearing out. The engine performance as well as the fuel economy improves with the engine RPM. Keep the engine up over 2500 and the car performs well. Run it at 3500 and it really scoots. I put on some Perreli P3000 (now 5000) tires increasing the handling and doubling the tires life. The only drawbacks to this car are it seems to be invisible sometimes in freeway traffic probably due to its low roof line and it has no room for snow chains if they are required.

Favorite Features

The small smooth revving engine that is built for higher rpm power and fuel economy (consistent 35 MPG) combined with the stable predictable curve holding handling. The dash layout that is easy to read well laid out and also makes the interior feel more open.

Suggested Improvements

A simple base model with air conditioning included. The existing AC has a hard time keeping up when the temperature outside is over 100 degrees although it is adequate and a stronger unit may decrease mileage.

Cracked Engine Block
By stp44122

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This WAS a fun car to own, but I'm not buying another Honda. I've had this since January 2006 putting 71,000 miles (95% highway) on the vehicle. I followed all oil changes, all servicing AT THE DEALER WHERE I BOUGHT THE VEHICLE. There is a TSB, 08-044 where they admit that all 2006, 2007, 2008 Civic Sedans have this design or casting flaw AND YOUR ENGINE WILL CRACK! It's just a matter of time. Hopefully it will be during the warranty (as most have been), and you'll get your engine replaced. If not, you're in my boat, called the DOT, State Attorney General, Better Business Bureau, and Honda trying to get their design or casting flaw fixed. I've never had to replace a Toyota engine.

Favorite Features

Price, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Replace flawed engine!

A Good Car
By mid-west mom

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My second Honda-another manual. If it were a station wagon it would be perfect. Great mileage-40 mpg on the highway, 32 in mixed driving. Reliable, easy to drive in town or on the interstate. Enough "go" to deal with big semis going 80, but handy to park. More fun to drive than our Toyota. The kids say the back seat is a squeeze but they aren't buying the gas to run it. I expect that my 11 year old will drive this car through college and beyond without problems. I have owned Volvo, VW, BMW, and Toyota cars, but for ease of ownership, reliability, economy, and over all performance,my heart belongs to Honda. I just really, really want a real station wagon again--like my 1991 Accord. Please?

Favorite Features

Mileage and economy of ownership. Still relatively fun to drive. I have a manual.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility when backing up not so great. Sound system. I would like a real station wagon, not a suvette.

Undecided
By undecided

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I did a ton of research before buynig my new Civic. I love the features, the smooth shifting, the look of the car, and how it drives. Unfortunately, my new car has not been reliable. In the first 3 months I have had to repair my vehicles brakes, replaced the power steering assembly, and due to a faulty grounding wire, I've been stranded on a busy freeway with a completely shut down car. I purchased a Honda for reliability above all else. My story isn't a typical one, but I post it here in case it helps other people. Other than the continuous repairs, I am very happy with my purchase. All repairs have been covered by warentee, but I would have prefered the car to be realiable.

Favorite Features

Great looks, smooth shifting, standard is fun to drive, and fabulous fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

My car should have been inspected more thoroughly. Some problems could have been averted.