2006 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Good all around vehicle
By gdheart07 on 07/25/14 21:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I own a 92 Acura Vigor and a 2007 Honda Odyssey along with my 06 Civic. Contrary to the complaints that I have viewed here, our Civic has been a champion. The handling fits between my Vigor and Odyssey. It handles crisp like my Vigor without the stiff ride. It gets 40 mpg with the a/c on at 77 mph. I just replaced the rear brake pads at 74,000. It is only on its second set of tires. Knock on wood, I'll keep it as long as it continues to perform like it has.

Not again not very reliable.
By chris_m387 on 08/01/13 22:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I used to own an 06 Civic it was fun to drive very responsive. But had too many problems. At 32,000miles the speakers went out warranty didn't cover it paid out of pocket, then the control arms, struts and wheel bearing were very bad had to pay out of pockets, at 45,800 replaced front brake pads. Tires worn unevenly went thru 4 sets of tire and had the same problem, I took a family road trip and out of nowhere the car lost traction and ended up spinning off road in Iowa. Had problems with the airbag sensor. At 60,000miles had to replace both ball joints. And was very bad in snow even with the best winter tires. ABS didn't work good. So I had enough and got an 07 Hyundai Sonata V6 SE.

2006 Civic: No Problems
By drm52 on 07/16/13 08:05 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased June, 2006. Daily driver. No problems. No repairs required Everything still feels tight and new. Even have the original brake pads after 84,375 miles.

Poorly Built, Unreliable Honda
By drgoodson on 05/13/13 22:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new and I am very unhappy with it. I first had the problem with the struts/supports in the rear end. One place thought it was bad shocks, but a former Honda certified mechanic figured it out and replaced them after I had worn out 2 sets of tires. Now I've just had the problem with the belt tensioner bolt, although my car was not recalled, and that cost me another chunk of change. I previously owned 3 used Hondas and they were all very good and reliable cars. Not so with this one, so I would advise everyone not to buy one of these as a used car. No more Hondas for me based upon my very poor experience with this car! Whatever happened to Honda reliability?

Poor Reliability
By jessecornel on 05/10/13 14:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

From the time that we bought this vehicle new from a dealer, we have been disapointed. Within a few weeks the battery failed, and was replaced. Within a year the condensor of the airconditer failed and was replaced. Due a manufacturers defect the exhause bubbled the rear plastic bumper, and Honda denied responsibility. At 35000 miles the struts wore out and honda denied responsibility. At 60000 miles the air conditioning compressor failed. At 75000 miles both the front struts and rear shocks failed causing a $900 repair and then a new set of tires. So the struts failed twice in 75000 miles. There is no warranty, and Honda denies culpability.

Best Honda I've owned so far!
By hondaluv3r2006 on 12/06/12 10:27 AM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my civic from a private party back in March of 2012 with 136,000 miles already on it. All I can say so far since I've owned it is one word... Awsome! Even with so many miles on it I've had zero major problems with it. Only minor problem so far was I had to replace the cowling along the base of the winshield due to the passenger side became unclipped and interfered with wiper arm operation. Bought and installed the part myself and problem gone. Also part of the plastic handle on the ebrake is coming lose but still works just fine. It's my first Civic, but I've always driven Hondas cause of their long history of durability. Way to go Honda!! Keep bringing us the good cars we love!!

GREAT
By mendezaldo on 11/20/12 00:20 AM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the car in '06 and has had 130,000 miles. The car had yet broken down or had any signs of slowing down. The interior is comfortable with cool digital speedometer. Very smooth ride and great brakes. Unfortunately, I got in a car accident and totaled my civic completely. The car flipped over and landed upside down. Miraculously, I only came out with a few scratches and bruises. I did not break anything at all and was on my feet the same day! This car is a great, safe, car for any person. Good Job Honda.

Transmission fails at 93k
By cchlebek on 10/27/12 06:19 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car new in the fall of 06 to enjoy more than double the fuel economy of my pickup truck. I was not disappointed as most tanks averaged in the upper 30s. I was considering a cobalt at the time but went with something that was predicted to hold its value better as I wanted to drive it until it died. It died at just over 90k miles with a bad transmission solenoid. (cost $3k to fix) I just couldn't believe a "reliable Honda" could require a rebuilt transmission with less than 100k miles. I've been driving the Cruze for almost a year now and the handling in snow is so much more secure than the Civic.

Going strong after 6 years
By viccard on 11/28/11 13:14 PM (PST)

2006 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car in Jan 2006, since then put 110K miles on. Had all the common problems described here: had rear bearings replaced by the dealership at 20-30K miles. My sun-visor is held by couple giant paper clips. Transmission would sometimes skip 3rd gear (happens once in a year, goes back to normal after restart). Most of the backlights under the heat/AC buttons are burned out. Battery died at 3 years. Power outlet and door lock had to be fixed. Seems like a long list but really it's perfectly usable and all non-warranty covered repairs totalled to ~$300 over 6 years. There is no timing belt to change (it has timing chain). Rear brakes lasted 100K miles before needing replacement.

Bad product and customer service
By TU DOAN on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This Honda Civic model is not reliable. Within 3 years, I had to replace 2 sun visors under bumper to bumper warranty. And the last sun visor broke very soon after my warranty expire. Total 3 sun visors broke under normal or lightly uses. At 42,000 miles, the engine died on free way in 07/2010. I almost got hit by a car behind me. The police had to push my car to the side to clear the traffic on the freeway. The pivot bolt broke the water bump and caused damages. Although my car was still under the Power-Train warranty but the Honda dealer keep my car for 1 week and didn't provide a free rental car. I was late and left early for work everyday. I will never buy cars made by Honda.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.