Used 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

VERY Disappointed
By dev87

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navi (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my 2006 Civic Hybrid in 2009 from a dealer. Was told by the dealer that the vehicle had not been in an accident, but that was a lie. Though that it is not Honda's fault, I can say that I am extremely disappointed on how the car has deteriorated since I got it. Had to replace the 12v battery, Hybrid battery needed an update in 2010 which made my MPG worse, and recently my compressor went out, which is a $1700 fix. Dealer retail is now $2000 less than what I paid 3 years ago, plus if I take into account the replacement of the compressor, I am a good $4000 in the hole. Not something I am willing to fork over for a car that has only gone downhill.

Favorite Features

MPG is decent, averaging 37-40MPG, but it was 30-35MPG when my AC was working. Now that I am not running my AC, I am actually getting BETTER MPG. Go figure. Like the Navi and Aux port, plus it is fun and very easy to drive. Sucks that I have put so much into the car and gotten so little out of it.

Suggested Improvements

MPG (not the 50 that was advertised) Poor engine build quality

used 2006
By june1986

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

just bought this baby for 11k with 101k miles, looks new, runs great. 41 mpg so far avg(first week) im still learning how to drive more efficently and its fun! i was looking at the FT-86 but decided to wait and got this in the meantime. i thought i would be disappointed but once i saw it in the metal and sat inside that all changed. great for adventures and wallets(30$ to fill up and first tank i got 460miles).

Suggested Improvements

I would like it if i had more control over the assist and charging features.

LOVE my Civic Hybrid!
By dev87

Bought this car in November 2009 after making a move to Arkansas. I purchased it with only 48,000 miles on it, plus I lucked out because it is fully loaded with Navi and AUX input for my iPod. Had to drive two hours to Tulsa to get it but it was well worth it; the drive home was so much fun I didnt want to get out of the car when we finally made it back! Its been to Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and Tennessee, and I am always the one volunteering to drive because I love it so much. The turn signals on the mirrors are an awesome touch. Has been in the shop twice but only for recall fixes. Would absolutely buy again

Favorite Features

GAS MILEAGE!! Navi, turn signals on mirrors, spacious enough for 5'7" and 6'1" drivers, big back seats for 60+lb Golden Retriever

Suggested Improvements

Would have loved a sunroof. Only thing I miss about my 99 Accord

My pick for best value overall
By aleighs9

I recently purchased my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid w/ Navigation and it had 79,000 miles on it. I was a bit worried because the hybrid battery expired at 80,000 miles and as we know, they're quite expensive. So far, so good though. At 85,000 miles and going strong. I love the design of the car and feel it's perfect for a young person. I have been getting 36 mpg in town, but it's been under 30 degrees in Iowa and mpg's have improved with temp increase. Love having the 12.3 gallon gas tank, fueling is a breeze. I think Priuses are ugly and love the way my hybrid looks. Everyone else seems to, too. CVT transmission took awhile to get used to - no shifting. But overall, don't hesitate! Buy today.

Favorite Features

Gauge cluster is unique - the car looks like a spaceship on the inside, which I love. I like that it has 10-way adjustable seats but they aren't electric - one less thing to break on an already high-tech car. Navigation voice is pleasant, and screen is user-friendly and large. Love the steering wheel (boyfriend does, too). Very small, sturdy, sporty (and useful with controls). Having a large windshield has been super wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like a slightly larger engine. This car is hell to drive on the highway - I suffer from a crisis of conscious going over 65 because mpg tanks and the car seems to struggle so much. So I'm left going 60 even though my heart breaks seeing cars pass me by going 80. I'm not a speed racer but I'd like to at least be competitive.

Best in the West
By Bill

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have 116,000 on this car I bought in late 2005. It gets 50-52 MPG mostly freeway. I have had not a trouble with it, great car!