Used 2006 Honda Civic LX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

My Two Cents
By gkh3

2006 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2006 Civic LX coupe new in July 2006. After nearly 9 years and 85,000 miles this car has been just about problem free... averaging over 30 mpg consistently. Yes, the ride is bouncy and yes it can be loud but I knew that going in. If you want super quiet and cushy... get a Cadillac. My only regret is not getting the ex version.

Love the paint color: Atomic Blue. Seating position perfect for me. Consistently great gas mileage.

Not a super fan of the digital speedo... but have gotten used to is. B-Pillars create massive blind spots... be careful backing up. Paint became worn right above rear window... repainted for free (class action lawsuit). Rearview mirrors not hinged and I have taken the drivers side one out twice. Drivers side visor fell apart... replaced (free: another class action lawsuit)... now the other one is going which I am now going to have to pay for to fix... grrrr.

Some thoughts about my 06 civic LX coupe (manual)
By jack_handy

2006 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car "newish" as a dealer demo from Richmond Hill Honda with +- 12,000 km on it. I had the HPF skirt package installed before I bought it. Today, (Dec 2012) I have over 210k kms on it. I sometimes tow a 700lb trailer with it for camping, I lug a car full of DJ gear with it too. This car's been a delight - a REAL PERFORMER. Muffler went at 100k, front rotors at 150k, battery after 4 yrs; all typical stuff if you ask me. I do the plugs myself and do all the other stuff on schedule. "This car doesn't owe me nothin' :) " and has been 100% reliable ALWAYS. Clearcoat on the hood has failed (cracked/split) and others have experienced same (on forums); I'm living with it.

Love the shifter and clutch. Love the design. Love the HPF skirt package. Love the steering wheel size. Love the grey fabric on the seats and huge front glass.

Steering wheel surface has worn off in spots, shift knob boot and knob itself worn out by 150k kms, driver's sun visor kept falling down. Fixed using 2 nuts/bolts through it to secure the arm within the visor. Stock speakers sound WAY better since replacing factory deck with a JVC unit. I replaced factory horns with Freeway Blasters the first week. Headlights are now weak with the frosted plastic surface. There is a factory geometry issue with the rear upper control arms, preventing proper alignment. (I went thru 3 sets bumpy/uneven tread before solving this) Get Honda's kit or get longer after-market arms for 0deg. camber. I have 225/40/17's for summer. Added turning lights to front .

Great little car
By iacivic06

2006 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Civic in November of 2005, one of the first 8th gen civics in my area. It been a great car, very reliable and perform well. With the exception of check engine light for and 02 sensor twice, I have not had it in the shop for anything. It still looks great.

This car is fun to drive, it's got snappy acceleration, stops on a dime, easy to get in and out of cramped parking places. Gas mileage is great, just keep the tires properly inflated, the air filter clean and add STP complete fuel system cleaner after every oil change. You will get between 350 and 400 miles per tank. The trunk has a lot of space

Blind spots caused by thick rear window posts.

Great car for the money
By Fellcolor

2006 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Definitely the fastest base model civic, and a real charm to drive. I put over 90,000 miles on the car in less than four years, from NYC at Friday commute to the length of Highway 1, and hour upon hour in Chicago rush hour. I had no regrets, and am not convinced that my new car will be as reliable over the next year as this car would be. The cabin is spacious and ergonomic. The speedometer is well placed and sufficiently easy to read that it becomes second nature. Visibility is certainly good enough. There are a lot of things that annoy me about this car, but it took a lot of thought and substantially more money to replace the car after years of hard use.

Performance and core reliability are fantastic on the manual transmission coupe. The front cabin is spacious and quite ergonomic.

Gear ratios in the manual are a bit off. 1st is short for stop and go traffic, 5th is too tall for cruising. The bumpers show abuse terribly. Cabin materials are unpleasantly cheap and scratch easily. The trunk doesn't work well for large objects, and the rear-seat passthrough is obstructed.

Unpleasant Car
By veryslowdriver

2006 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this for commuting and city use. Seats seemed comfortable in test drive but real back achers in day-to-day-use. Miserable. Powertrain was so so. It could rev up but it was just business. Terrible shifter. Avg 30mpg. Hugely annoying interior rattles that dealer said were normal and would not fix. Handling was only average - a compromise of compromises, not comfortable, not precise, even w/good Michelin tires. My third new Honda and my very last. This seems like an excellent chassis, but not correctly exploited. Toyota Corolla a better choice for a commuter compact, quieter and better mannered. All in all, the car made me miserable. Sold at 6700 mi

Styling. Solid chassis design.

Scrap the 1.8L engine and use only the 2.0L and Si six speed gear box. Upgrade damping and sell the car with alloys and disc brakes only. Try using Volkswagen seats. Some noise insulation. Learn from Toyota interior. This was an unpleasant car.

• SUV